Winnie the Pooh

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by toma, Jul 16, 2011.

1. toma

toma eskimo in disguise

Yeah, I took my five year old to see this today. It was actually pretty great. It was like the old Winnie the Pooh stuff I remember watching as a kid. My kid actually asked me to buy the DVD on the way home so he could watch it again, which I thought was cute. It was also pretty nice taking him to see a kids movie that wasn't full of underlying adult humor or excessive fart jokes. It probably could have said (C) 1983 during the credits and it would have been believable. I wish Disney would make more stuff like this to be honest. We need more cartoons that are just pure cartoons. No raunchy humor, no overbearing moral or political messages, and no shove it down your throat education... just a movie that kids can enjoy as kids, you know?

2. Omegatron

Omegatron Mandatory Fun. Buy it now TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ^Agreed. Watched it with my 4 and 7 year olds Thursday morning, and I LOL'd a couple of times myself. Also, I'm a fan of Zooey Deschanel, so hearing her sing the title song and the closing song was a pleasant surprise.

3. theestampede

theestampede Wandering Artist

News Credits:
    watched it as well. Definitely pleasantly surprised. The word play impressed me.

4. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

I hope Piglet is in it, he's so cool.

5. uruseiranma

uruseiranma Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It's sad that so many are going to see this as a dumb kids movie. It's actually alot of fun, and plays to those of us with a decent vocabulary. After all, how many animated features use the words perennial and derriere?

The music was by the guy who did the music for Avenue Q and The Book of Mormon, and his wife did the lyrics. They definitely did a very catchy bunch of songs. I downloaded the Bakson Song this evening, and the way it's so descriptive reminded me of the Alan Menken/Howard Ashman stuff like 'Gaston' and 'Prince Ali.'

It felt like the Disneyland equivalent of a movie: something that parents and kids can both enjoy. I noticed around me that while the kids laughed at what the characters did, the parents laughed at the wordplay and dialogue that flew over the little ones heads.

Though it's also sad that some comments I've seen say it sucks because its so short. Apparently, they don't realize that another great Disney movie named Dumbo only runs 60 minutes.

6. toma

toma eskimo in disguise

He's in it a fair amount. There's a really funny bit where he tries to help Pooh get a bee's nest out of a tree using a seesaw, and another funny part where he has to find help to rescue everyone and gets scared.

I didn't find it too short. I actually liked that it didn't drag on too much. Not every kids' movie has to be 2 hours long. The credits were actually really fun to watch because they were fully animated all the way through, and the post-credits scene made them well worth sitting through.

7. HordakFan

HordakFan Banned

Much better than the disappointing Cars 2 which is Pixar's worst film and lowest grossing now. This one is an improvement and earned 93 percent fresh on RT and a must see for kids and adults, i grew up with the original Pooh movie in the 80's and use to watch the shows all the time as a kid.

8. Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname Pico, let's go up to Zuma

News Credits:
    Stupid question, but is this a 'new' movie, or just a re-release? It just looks exactly like the old cartoon.

9. Haloid1177

Haloid1177 Hey, That's Pretty Good TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Brand new.

10. ErbFan28

ErbFan28 Go Dennis Erb Jr. #28!!!

News Credits:
    That movie hasn't sold well at the theatre I work at. I think the people from my town don't even know its out. I might go take my niece and nephew to go see it though

11. toma

toma eskimo in disguise

That's a shame. There weren't many people there when I watched it either. Hopefully it doesn't end up just being forgotten, because it really is a good movie.

12. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Do the Heffalumps and Woozles make any appearances, if I may ask? One of the most brilliant things that Disney did with the Pooh mythos was making them real and villianous as opposed to the entirely imaginary creatures of Milne's original stories.

13. toma

toma eskimo in disguise

Nope. There's a new imaginary villain called the Backson though who fits in pretty nicely though. I liked the Backson a lot actually.

Pooh, Eeyore, Owl
    Piglet, Tigger
    Rabbit, Kanga, Roo
    Christopher Robin
    Backson

That's about how I'd list it more or less as far as screen time goes.

14. moreprimeland

moreprimeland Optimus told me to do it! Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I want to take my nephew to see it, if he won't think he's too old..he's 6. I love Craig Ferguson and he's voicing Owl. :lol 

15. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    no peter cullen = no movie for me!

[jk. i probly wouldnta seen it anyway :p ]

not that i dont like winnie the pooh tho :D 

16. bulletthebluesky

bulletthebluesky Mmmm... Beer

I need to go see this movie. The animation looks beautiful.

17. CrypticIllusionist

CrypticIllusionist Well-Known Member

The advertising for this movie has been all but non-existent. I had no idea it was playing already up until late yesterday evening.
    That said, I fully intend on going to see it ASAP. I will always support theatrical, hand-drawn animation (hell, I saw The Princess & The Frog twice and that movie wasn't even that good).

18. Ktulu

Ktulu Whoosh TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'm not any sort of die hard Pooh fan at this point in my life, but I'd still like to see the property do well. Seems they should have waited another month or so to release this. As is, it's going to get completely swallowed up by all the other big time movies out. Really too bad, but I suppose there's always the chance it'll find some sort of longevity on DVD/Blu-Ray.

Glad to hear that it's pretty good. The few clips I've seen seemed rather endearing. I just hope it doesn't earn so poorly that it hurts the chances of any further 2d animation on "the big screen." It's a gorgeous medium and we really need more of it.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2011