Customs: Winners of botcon art contests?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by SCPrime, Oct 2, 2006.

1. SCPrime

SCPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    We know that for the small diorama the winners were:
    1. HOS Megatron
    2. CHP Prowl
    3. TWW Megatron

What are the winners for the big diorama? Anyone know? The category which included the Alternators/Masterpiece Menasor.

2. TheDevastator

TheDevastator Decepticon

There was no small diorama category this year. Those were the winners for the Custom Figure category.

3. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I'm quite interested in this as well. C'mon Andy, get on the ball! :lol 

(j/k :thumb  props to RL for all of his work)

4. SCPrime

News Credits:
    Wow, I am very surprised then that the MP Menasor or articulated Bruticus, Defensor didn’t win anything. The CHP Prowl is cool but I think the above mentioned ones plus the TWW Megatron are better (no offense to the maker of CHP Prowl).

5. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    hey, if I knew, I'd have been more'n happy to have shared :p 

6. TheDevastator

TheDevastator Decepticon

I totally agree with you. The CHP Prowl was beautiful and well done, but I don't think it should have won either.

If you want to see more Protectobot and Combaticon pictures though, check them out at Transtopia, galleries 219-230.

http://www.tfmaster.com/gallery_kitbashes.php

7. 1987olds442

1987olds442 Cam Maximus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Are you serious that simple Kitbash Prowl "no offence to the person that made it" beat Tfmasters War Within Scratch built fully transforming "Megatron". Oh and he built the Menasor as well.

8. Lobo

Lobo Well-Known Member

Here's the low down. All pics borrowed from Seibertron. :D 

3D Diorama

1st Place - 5' tall custom Devastator

[​IMG]

2nd Place - Custom Prime and Arcee Wedding Cake Top

[​IMG]

3rd Place - Megatron taking a bath.

[​IMG]

3D Custom Figure

1st Place - Hearts of Steel Megatron by Lobo :D 

[​IMG]

2nd Place - Alternators CHP Prowl by Sidecutter

[​IMG]

3rd Place - War Within Megatron by TFMaster

[​IMG]

I forgot who all won the 2D Art catagories. :?

9. SCPrime

News Credits:
    was the MP Menasor in the 3D diorama category? the wedding and bath are certainly unique but I can't believe the MP Menasor didn't win in that category.

10. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    whoa.. I didn't know you posted here too... lurker! :p 

11. Cobra_Commander

Cobra_Commander Master of tactics TFW2005 Supporter

all those are awsome, must have been hard as hell for the poor judges :lol 

12. Tech Spec

Tech Spec Breeze Loo

News Credits:
    The WW Megs and HOS Megs are soooooo BADASS :rock 

13. KnightSaberAmi

KnightSaberAmi Nyan Nyan

Draven won first place for his Optimus and Alphie won third for her Jazz if i remember correctly. Please correct me if i am wrong.

14. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    Yes it was, and I have no idea either.

15. Sidecutter

Sidecutter Evil Dealer Scum TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Well gee thanks guys, so nice to see the show of support for having placed in the contest. It was a custom figure contest after all and a custom figure is what I made, whether you consider it simple or not. I mean, all tooting the horn of my own customs aside, I probably would have picked a few other things before my own CHP Prowl custom, but if it won second, I'd guess people had a reason they liked it above others. You'd really have to ask them why they voted for it over this or that other item.

Quite frankly, I'll happily take second to that HOS Megatron scratchbuild, and would have happily been third to WWI Megatron. My jaw about hit the floor in shock when they called our piece as a winner. I didn't expect to win, and mostly entered to show it off in a public setting where it could be seen with one's own eyes. But again, not my call to say why I won, since they don't collect comments on that and feed them back to us. Myself, I am not going to claim that my own work should have been considered better than any other. That isn't for me to decide.

Oh, and 1987Olds, the WWI megatron is a bash too. It has more scratchbuilt parts, but it isn't scratchbuilt. It's based on MP-01 as the frame and body core. And the Prowl's are both fully transformable copies. I didn't make two because it's static, I made two because both of us wanted one to keep.

16. SCPrime

News Credits:
    People are just expressing their opinion is all. None of us here were judges (as far as I know) but we still can express our opinions of which ones we like better than others. I don't think I've read a post stating that the CHP Prowl sucked. It's good. But, per some people's opinion, there were others better.

17. 1987olds442

1987olds442 Cam Maximus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thanks for the information, but I know how it was constructed I followed along Tfmaster's progress on his board. The only pieces left off the MP-01 were the pelvis, upper legs, and the hands. He also modified a G2 Megatron head. The rest was completely scratch built and it transforms. Your Prowl repaints/mods were clean very nice looking and presented well and congratulations on your 2nd place win. I just prefer Tfmaster’s War Within Megatron especially following along and seeing how much time and engineering he put into the piece.

18. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Yeah, the Prowl is nice, but it's really just a repaint. I don't see how it could beat out those scratchbuilt ones.

But yeah, it's still nice.

19. TheDevastator

TheDevastator Decepticon

Yeah, I'm a dirty little lurker, hehe.

Also Sidecutter, like the others we're not really trying to insult your work. Your work was stunning and well dispalyed. Congrats on your win. I'm not sure what it was, but something you did was really compelling. Obviously you put some work into what you did and it turned out, dare I say, perfectly. It just amazes me that the WW Megatron and several other more complex customs placed lower.

Like olds said, WW Megatron just used the waist, thighs, and hands from MP Prime, and a heavily modified G2 Megatron head. Everything else was scratchbuilt.

20. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Sidecutter, congradulations on your win! As you've (and others:redface2: ) have noted, you beat out some really tough competition to get 2nd place. The presentation of your piece is really nice and the display of 2 customs to show off both modes is nice as well. Good job and keep the customs comin'!

Lobo, congrats on such a nice piece. Well deserved first place and you continue to inspire kitbashers like me.

TFM, I want to say to you and to everyone, I've thoroughly enjoyed every step of your WW Megs piece. There have been so many times I've just wanted to reach in my screen and have one for myself! Your Megs is such an awesome piece! Like Lobo, you continue to inspire me as well. Congradulations on your work and your award!

I really wanted to go to Botcon this year. There were a lot of you guys that I really wanted to meet and hang out with (as well as the usual Botcon stuff!). Scheduling and insufficent funds (you can't go to such a candy store without buying candy!) prevent me from attending. You ALL inspire me so much and my hat's off to the whole customs community. Keep up the award-winning and stellar work guys! :thumb