Customs: Wing removal on classics Jetfire/Treadbolt

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by ScoobyGoo, Sep 11, 2010.

1. ScoobyGoo

ScoobyGoo Well-Known Member

Wing removal on classics Jetfire/Treadbolt?

Hi guys, I've got a little question that I was wondering if anyone can help me with.

I'm just getting started on bashing together my second custom, using a universe Treadbolt as the base. I'm needing to take the wings off to replace them, however I cant seem to figure out how.

There are 2 screws in the body that run through just above the hips, however removing them doesn't seem to allow me to split the chest (at least not without some serious force) to see if there is anything holding on the top of the plane to get at the other side of the big pins the wings hinge on.

Has anyone here ever stripped a Jetfire/Treadbolt before? If so how did you manage to get the wings off as at the moment I'm thinking of just hacking them off and sanding the area down!

Last edited: Sep 11, 2010
  2. Nemesis Predaking

Nemesis Predaking Offical Enforcer WTF@TFW Veteran

News Credits:
    Right below the 2 screws you removed, there are little plates that have yellow on them.
    Under those plates are 2 long screws, the plates are glued in place very well. It will take a fair bit of work & care to remove them in one piece. Once you get it apart, be very careful,
    there are a bunch of little gears & tabs for the ratcheting leg joints.

3. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

NP's right. It's the plates that cover the joint for the leg ratchets. Take them out and you'll find two screws behind them. They're right on the axis of rotation the legs use.

4. ScoobyGoo

ScoobyGoo Well-Known Member

Cheers guys, that sounds like quite a task! I suppose I'm gonna have to take him to bits for painting anyway, I suppose I'll have to prise the glued on piece off carefully. You have any hints for separating the pieces, I assume that its just a little care and a lot of patience.

5. Nemesis Predaking

Nemesis Predaking Offical Enforcer WTF@TFW Veteran

News Credits:
    Other then a small & strong flat head jewelers screwdriver, you pretty much got the idea.