Windows XP support?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Pikatron, Aug 24, 2008.

1. Pikatron

Pikatron Well-Known Member

Hey guys, I wasn't sure where to post this question so I apologize in advance if it's in the wrong spot. Does anyone know how much longer Windows XP will be supported? I mean how long will MS continue to release and host patches and security fixes on their site? This link says that they'll continue support through 2014, but I can't tell if there was an official announcement or not. Does anyone know for sure?

2. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

I can't find an official link offhand, but I do remember them saying support would continue for quite a few more years. 2012-2014 sounds about right.

Hell, they just did away with Win98 support pretty recently.

3. Mastergeorge

Mastergeorge I should burn my wallet.

News Credits:
    Yep 2014. Im a computer geek. Don't get vista! It is the worst operating system ever! Wait until Windows 7 comes out in 2010-2011.

4. toma

toma eskimo in disguise

vista is like the new windows me. don't fix what's not broken... or at least don't break what's broken to a more broken state.

5. Jux

Jux Please, call me Steve. Veteran

Dude I can't wait for Mojave. That OS looks SWEET and tons better than Vista!

6. Don Cassetti

Don Cassetti Active Member

Vista is not that bad, it was when it first came out, but its come a long way since then.

7. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

people bitched about Windows 98 when it came out. Turned out fine. People bitched about XP when it came out. Turned out fine. I'm sure Vista will have the same history.

8. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Apparently no one else gets this.
    Epic post, Jux.

9. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

I ROFLed at it, althougth i'm not surprised that other folks didn't considering the general standard of OS discussion on TFW.

10. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Follow me @NerdActivist TFW2005 Supporter

11. meetoblivion

meetoblivion aka chazzy

Ebay:
    I have been using Vista since April 2007. My primary use is media streaming. I have one laptop and one "Media PC" hooked up to a 47" LG. I am pleased overall with the performance for the things that I do with it. My laptop is a work laptop, which I use to do everything from charts, programming, and even a bit of graphic design. While I do see some things as being slow, and I do generally have Aero disabled, it seems to always work for me.

12. Pikatron

Thanks for the responses guys. The reason why I was asking was because I wanted to this computer. The specs are really low though so they only ship it with XP. I'd upgrade it to Vista if it didn't eat up so many resources. And, yeah, I know about the Mojave thing. They air commercials on Hulu all the time. =)

13. Pikatron

I found a better link proving that support will be continued well into the future. I thought about checking MS's site at first, but quickly shot down the idea, thinking that it'd take forever and a day navigating through it. So it looks like they'll continue support through 2014 which makes me a happy camper. This notebook I just bought has a 1.6 Intel Atom CPU, 1GB of memory and a 3 cell battery. As much as I love Vista, it requires more resources than my system can spare.

[​IMG]

14. ShortCircuit

ShortCircuit Decepticon

ubuntu ftw.

15. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

The overnight subnotebook boom coulden't have come at a worse time for Microsoft. XP isn't particularly suitable for that sort of device either, but they can't get anything better onto the market quickly because the mobile and desktop Windows platforms are both in the middle of major overhauls.