Windows tablets: yea or nay?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Mr. Sinister, Oct 13, 2011.

1. Mr. Sinister

Mr. Sinister Cat + Sinister = TROUBLE

So, I'm in the market for a good tablet, and I'd like something to help me with my productivity workload in school--specifically, stuff to do with Microsoft Office. I've been eyeing the Windows tablets out there (most notably, the Dell Inspiron duo tablet/netbook combo) and thinking about it, but I've also heard that an iPad or the Asus Eee Pad Transformer/Motorola Xoom (both Android tablets) are also a viable options, in that they have Office-compatible apps to download.

I'm wondering if any of you have had any experienced with Windows tablets & these other tablets I mentioned. Any suggestions/opinions are appreciated.

2. chaddi_90

chaddi_90 Prime

News Credits:
    My brother has an ipad 2 and I only think it's good for apps, nothing else. He isn't much of a app person, so he has been thinking about selling it so he can buy a windows tablet instead because it seems like a better option.

3. yodafett

yodafett Well-Known Member

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Xoom tablet gets very high reviews. In my experience, Windows XP & Vista were never quite ready for tablets, but I haven't touched Win 7 or 8 on one yet. (if you can hold out a bit, Win8 is supposedly targeted more towards touch environments, and mesh very nicely with tablets)

4. Wingsbr

Wingsbr Christian TF Fan :)

News Credits:
    iPad 2 w/ iOS 5 is amazing. Also, there are office suites like pages, numbers, etc. for productivity and with iCloud you can sync across all devices.

5. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Toy Designer

I have only an iPad, but the software for it and the iPad2 are the same, and frankly I would say there's no educational value in this thing at all. I've been told time and time again, Pages is bad. Whether or not that's true, I'm not spending over $10 to find out why people hate it so much. I just use a laptop. Y'know, an actually useful piece of equipment.

I'm personally considering selling my iPad to get either another tablet, and leave Apple's highly restricted environment. What tablet I'll get, doesn't really matter. I mean, it can only get better from here. When you're currently using a tablet that is good for nothing but maybe 10 or 20 apps, you can only improve. :) 

[/2cents]

6. Sokar

Sokar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    As an owner of the Dell duo tablet since February I can tell you don't get one. As a tablet it's a poor competitor for the iPad (windows has never really been that tablet oriented). As a netbook, however, it's even worse. Dell's tablet software slows the system down to a crawl, and even without it you can get a better netbook for a third of the price.