Windows 8?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Optimus_Prowl, Jun 2, 2011.

1. Optimus_Prowl

Optimus_Prowl I'm the Goddamed Two-Face

News Credits:
    Apparently theres a lot of focus on touch screen design.

Microsoft officially unveils Windows 8 - Yahoo! News

Looks kinda neat. Glad to see they're carrying over the same style of interface from the Zune, (I love that interface).

Otherwise not a whole lot of stuff im too excited for. :/ What do you guys think?

2. Brainchild

Brainchild Dark Flame Master

That's kinda... really different.
    I think I prefer the Chrome OS to this.

3. Haloid1177

Haloid1177 Hey, That's Pretty Good TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    At least there is a feature that allows you to switch the entire layout back to Windows 7 with a click of the mouse.

4. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    Well, that will be interesting to install on my test bed computer for funzies :D 

5. chaddi_90

chaddi_90 Prime

News Credits:
    I'm thinking of buying a touch screen and this os would make it a win.

6. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    Touchscreens are stupid. You have to clean it much more often when touching it all the time. It's ok for portable devices, but for stationary nothing beats a real keyboard and mouse.

Anyway it looks nice.

Microsoft should stop making Windows a single operating system that can do anything and instead make various compatible OSes that are designed for specifically tasks. That would be much more efficient.

7. TFXProtector

TFXProtector Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm not impressed. I just got Windows 7 customized how I like it. It's currently compatible with my games and programs.

Plus, both my desktop and laptop run it like a boss. This will at least require a touchscreen upgrade to achieve full functionality, and I'm sure internal hardware requirements are climbing up as well.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

8. Tripredacus

Tripredacus K-Mart-ian Legend

News Credits:
    I'm going to try to sum this up the best I can. MS is being sneaky with Windows 8 because they are using that term for multiple different OSes. The one in the news link is Windows 8 for ARM (one of them) and not relatable to Windows 7 and previous versions. The projection is that there are 6-7 possible Windows 8 versions out there and I'm not talking about things like Pro or Home Premium. And this way of marketing is confusing the heck out of people. I'll try to relate it if possible.

I'll try to write this all out without making things confusing.

- Windows Phone 7's next version is Windows 8. We have not seen this yet. This will be on Phones, Tablets and touch-screen AIO systems.
    - Windows ARM is a NEW version of Windows designed to run on each of the 4 ARM CPUs. One of these is in the news link.
    - Windows 7 for PC's next version will be Windows 8, however it is called Windows Next internally. The Windows 8 term has NOT been officially applied to the Desktop OS.

Older news said that Windows 8 would be dropping 32bit version and only offering 64bit version only. This makes sense when you notice the leaked build of Windows 8 is built on Server 2008 R2 which is also 64bit only.

There is a possibility that Windows 8 for Tablet and Phone will be different also.

So its kinda confusing a lot of people when news of "Windows 8" comes out and they do not realise MS is using that term to cover 6-7 different things. So this Windows 8 news is only for ARM embedded devices like Tablets and Touchscreens. Do not take it to imply that this is what your next PC will have on it.

9. chaddi_90

chaddi_90 Prime

News Credits:
    Now I am really confused:p 

10. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    Must make sure to sign myself up for beta-testing these things, but I'll need a touch screen PC......

Curse my whoredom to technology :p 

11. Rubber Ducky

Rubber Ducky beepboopbop

Thats awesome! Now make me a sammich

12. Cloud Strife

Cloud Strife 01000011 01000101 0101010

bleh, i'm not impressed with windows mobile os. my dad has a windows phone and i hate it with a passion. not impressed

13. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    I've got an HTC 7 Mozart, and the interface does have its foibles but its no worse than the Applie iOS and certainly had less bullshit than the Android powered Sony phone that I had.

Not perfect by any stretch but I've had no major issues with it.

14. Tripredacus

News Credits:
    The only current products (mainstream) with touch displays are tablets and AIO PCs. I'm not impressed with AIO PCs so far, they are just netbooks with a screen attached. I'm waiting on one coming back from a demo before I can test out the new BurnInTest beta which is supposed to have touch support. Honestly, I'm fine with a keyboard and mouse, and my touch experience so far hasn't been anything to write home about. It must be some niche market but could eventually replace normal PCs. I think everyone is just jumping on the touch bandwagon that has gotten cell phone users to not care about PCs anymore.

15. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    I just love playing with and learning how to use and customise this stuff, its what brings me a certain level of fulfilment. And building PC's is like Zen meditation for me.

16. Blackout32

Blackout32 Subdivisions

I read about this last week but I don't think it will be out for awhile though.

17. Tripredacus

News Credits:
    Some of the Windows 8 will be out by the end of next year... I mean the end of the world.

In another strange-but-true coincidence, that supposed date of the Rapture end of the world is also the day Microsoft discontinues the Vista OS. Go figure.