Windows 7 upgrade preorder through Amazon -- $49.99

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Tenebrouser, Jun 30, 2009.

1. Tenebrouser

Tenebrouser Craft...or is it crap?

2. AnimatedFan

AnimatedFan Banned

I'd spend $100.00 and go for the Professional upgrade.

3. Darkravager

Darkravager Zombie Hunter

Meh. I don't really have any issues with Vista.

4. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

I don't think I can upgrade from the Release Candidate 1 version, so I'd have to pay full price. My only valid Windows license is for Windows 98 SE, which won't even run on my current computer--and I lost the registration code anyway.

5. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

You can't upgrade from a home flavor of Windows to a business one, not that he'd actually want to in the first place since he'd be paying more to get stuff that he is never going to use.

6. Tenebrouser

Tenebrouser Craft...or is it crap?

I've read a lot of positive things about it, such as its cleaner desktop and quickness of web page loading on Explorer, among other things.

I don't care too much about operating systems, but if I could squeeze a little bit more life out of my current laptop, I figured $50 isn't too bad.

7. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Depending on your needs, you could possibly squeeze even more life out of it with a good Linux distro for $0.

I do like Windows 7 though.

8. Dinobot Nuva

Dinobot Nuva Johnny 3 Tears Veteran

News Credits:
    No problems with the version of Vista I'm running, and I don't see that big of a performance boost coming out of it gaming wise anyway.

9. AnimatedFan

AnimatedFan Banned

>_< That sucks. Sucks the balls.

10. j3

j3 Hampton Yount is my Crow T. Robot TFW2005 Supporter

I wonder if I need a "legit" copy of XP for the upgrade to work. I want to grab W7 at $100 instead of the $300 for Full, but I don't think I've had a legit copy of Windows since 95. Currently running the W7 RC and it is amazing, but my "primary" (I haven't booted into it in months) is XP Pro, non-legit. Then again I might be able to find an old license for XP Home from a parent's old PC. I know it doesn't do an upgrade install anyway, it just verifies you're launching from XP then reboots to install from the disc.

11. AnimatedFan

AnimatedFan Banned

...ooh. I have MCE 2005, and it's XP Pro...could it upgrade? :D 

12. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

man, this is only for upgrades...no full version discounts.

im building my new computer so will be needing a OS...:( 

i still might pick up a OEM XP and get the upgrade. Or i might do the MS Vista->7 upgrade option they have...i need to see which will be cheaper.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2009
  13. seven

seven RIP Poopers 4-1993/5-2008

So does anyone know if the upgrade versions are as half haggard as the Vista Upgrades. The Vista upgrades still used a lot of XP and were inferior to the full release of Vista.

I ran the Windows 7 system checker thing and I'm good to go. It does tell me to to a custom clean install though, Implying that I need to do a fresh install of Xp (which I need to do since my PC is getting rather bloated) then the upgrade. I might order it and wait for reviews and more info on how it will work with my system.

14. AnimatedFan

AnimatedFan Banned

Order it and sit on it a while. Wait for the inevitable Service Pack 1, or Rollup Update whatever, before installing it.

At least you'll have it, and when it's good to go with all of the updates, tweaks, etc...you'll be ready.

I think that's what I'll do. I wasn't planning on getting Windows 7, but considering the low, low price, I can't really beat it. In fact, I think that's the cheapest OS offering from Microsoft, so far.

I tried the beta, it was impressive. Not everything worked quite right with it, but it was surprisingly stable for being a beta. I ran program after program without a crash. It was quite impressive, and not a massive resource hog, either.