Windblade #4

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Mechafire, Jun 24, 2015.

1. Mechafire

Mechafire Shadow Broker Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Actually rather enjoyed this.

The art was somewhat jarring, especially having just read MTMTE. It was very... cartoony? Not sure if that's the appropriate descriptor, but it was strange. I got used to it a bit more as I advanced through the issue, but I still really miss Sarah. :( 

Some of the interactions were good. Liked the bar scene and some of the world building. And "shut up Rattrap" admittedly did make me grin.

3/5. Not anything mindblowing, nor is it horrendously awful. Just kinda average. I want to see where it goes, because in general I find the whole "colony worlds" thing to be pretty interesting... well, potentially interesting, at least.

2. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    As essentially the jumping off point for the series, we get a good sense of the setting and the stakes here.

Good use of characters and Transformers history, and a clear determination to snatch "most dance parties and bar scenes" from MtMtE. ;) 

3. Rockdown

Rockdown Dream Commander

Ebay:
    2/5. Transformers dancing?! What is this? A robot version of Save the Last Dance or Pitch Perfect. I can't think of a series of comics worse than what IDW is serving up with their Transformers titles.

4. ultramagnus1

ultramagnus1 Well-Known Member

Tfs version of Strictly Come Dancing.

5. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    Nice :) 
    Looking forward to the race between Blurr and Knockout.

6. Nocturne

Nocturne Professional Ginger

News Credits:
    I like what is being set up here. I also like that Windblade is still using kindness and compassion to reach out to people, I was worried that was a character trait she would lose after combiner wars.

And ooooh, Knock Out is married! I wonder who the lucky bot is.

7. Meister5

Meister5 Lost Light-er

News Credits:
    Very nice issue. I like the expressive art style and some good humor. I was good to have a light and happy issue after the dark trudge that was the Combiner Wars. Loved the party scene and it was great to see Knock Out true to form.

Same here. Her interactions with Moonracer were wonderful.

The obvious choice is Breakdown unless they've going to mix things up. :) 

8. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

Must be Breakdown, if they're going TFP. He's the slow one.

Velocitron must be smaller than Earth, close to its sun and rotating very rapidly to produce this kind of day/night transition.

It makes sense to use solar power there. It's a free voltage.

9. jogproof

jogproof Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    I think that this was a good issue I quite enjoyed the art. I might just be glad to be into Windblade V2 proper.
    Although Breakdown exists on cybertron I hope that Knockout's partner is still Breakdown if only for the potential joke about all the best names being taken or the old names the same.

10. Grimlockimus

Grimlockimus Wot?

News Credits:
    Pretty solid issue this time around. :D 

Knockout, as always, was great as well as the interactions between Moonracer and Windblade. Though the ending seemed off to me with Chromia mentioning she knows why their cities move. It's not so much you know why they move as "how" they move. We still have no idea why their cities move in the first place (unless I missed something which is entirely possible).

11. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    I actually really enjoyed this. Good setup, good worldbuilding, fun character interactions...And I really dig Windblade's portrayal here. And I really dig the idea of new people and new ideas maybe being enough to steer Cybertron in the right direction, rather then risk letting it slip back into violence and old hatreds.

And yeah that final page is a headscratcher, unless she referred t
    he flames behind hat city? Only thing that I can think of that makes sense in the "chasing night" context.

12. jogproof

jogproof Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    If I am reading the art correctly it is because of the giant fire wall following the city. I think it might be like in the Riddick film.
    Edit: Oops i was beaten to it.

13. Negativedark

Negativedark Stealth Gesalt

It's a nice example of how the conditions on a planet influence the society. Seems like Velecitron is very well off. Seems being the operative word.

Well we have two Tankors. So we can have Paranoid Breakdown, and Relaxed Breakdown.

Two things that came into my head when I read everything on Velocitron is settled with a race. First a certain line from G1. Second, Blurr is needed. Too bad Dragstrip is in prison. Though I wonder what Starscreams play is going to be?

And I wonder if we'll get any of the other Galaxy Force/Cybertron worlds. Aside from finding Gigantos possibilites amusing, Animatros deciding things by combat... Well Starscream having the fight Scourge would be interesting.

14. Negativedark

Negativedark Stealth Gesalt

I suspect the fact the planet's night side alternates between freezing cold and searing heat, with a terminator of fire that follows their cities has something to do with it. We also know the scientists who founded it were doing energy production reasearch. And their are several theorietical ideas about how to generate energy from those kinds of conditions.

15. Skullgrinner

Skullgrinner Well-Known Member

That last page "firewall" is totally ripped off from the Iain M Banks novel Player of Games.

16. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ^ It's a reasonably common trope in sci-fi though, probably because Mercury is actually like this.

Knock Out having a husband is great obviously, and the implication is that it's a version of Prime Breakdown, or at least sort of his "type." Notably, "Breakdown" is a name that has been associated with the planet Velocitron before.

17. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I'd interpret it as day on Velocitron being searing heat and fire, and night being freezing cold, and so the cities must move so they are always in the "night" hemisphere - "chase night", as Metroplex puts it. That said, the final page isn't very successful in communicating this - the art puts the focus on the city, not the wall of flame, so it doesn't link up with Chromia's realization in an obvious way. The art makes it look like the fire COULD just be the city's flaming exhaust.

18. Autoboty

Autoboty Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If IDW Blurr's powerset is ANYTHING like Animated Blurr, Blurr curbstomps Knock Out all the way to the next galaxy and back. IN TWO MINUTES.

(Okay, I might be wrong here. Avid comics readers, please help the uninformed Autoboty know the full extent of IDW Blurr's speed.)

19. GWolfv2

GWolfv2 Deathsaurus - A name you can trust for peace

News Credits:
    He's shattered the sound barrier in the Ongoing. But Blurr's done very little actual racing in IDW.

20. Veritas Prime

Veritas Prime You're Not Alone

News Credits:
    Finally read the issue and it was pretty good seeing Knock out interact with the others.

Did anyone notice the possible foreshadowing at the not end of the world party part 4 with one of the pictures on the wall saying "that's just prime" on it?