Will you wait for US versions of MP Soundwave, Sideswipe, and Red Alert?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Sixshot, Oct 6, 2012.

1. ScottyP

ScottyP Got The Touch

News Credits:
    Even though Soundwave will probably come out here in a year or so, it's too cool for school and I want it early.

Sideswipe and Red Alert will only happen if Hasbro ponies up for the Lambo license :lol  I don't see that happening.

2. brr-icy

brr-icy MP Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    nope, i prefer quality figures, and if they put that clearcoat finish on the lambos, that will make them worth it alone, soundwave, i´m getting both

3. Cax6ton

Cax6ton Insufferable Smartass

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    I don't always buy Masterpieces, but when I do, I prefer Takara. I can easily pass on some MP releases, so the difference in versions wouldn't matter to me anyway. For those that I have had, I've always liked the Takara versions better.

While I think that Sideswipe will probably come out in the US, I have zero confidence that Hasbro will give me what I want. I love the new Sideswipe, and I'm too worried that Hasbro will get the shade of red wrong, or cheap out on paint details, or put it in those shitty clear boxes. I like everything about the Takara release, and the import price isn't bad, so it's easy to just go the Takara route. On the one hand Hasbro seemed to do a good job with MP-10 Optimus, but I hate Thundercracker, and their previous releases of MP's were a mixed bag. Takara seems to still treat a Masterpiece release as a definitive definition of a character, down to the packaging and extras. For Hasbro, it's just another toy to put on the shelves and shovel out to the masses.

Soundwave? I still don't know. I don't want it bad enough to import it, though that may change. If Hasbro announced at NYCC that Soundwave is coming, I'd wait and risk seeing Hasbro change decoes or do something else dumb, but the mold and character aren't as important.

4. typev3

typev3 @VinceSanchez

I'll probably wait on them just for the sake of convenience. If those lambos don't come over to the NA market then I guess I'll end up paying a premium for them down the line.

5. WheelWave140

WheelWave140 Hate's not cool, dudes!

News Credits:
    I need that Soundwave, and I WILL keep telling myself that Hasbro will release him, until they come out and say " HI GUYS WE WONT RELEASE MP SOUNDWAVE CUZ NOONE KNOWS WHAT HE IS KTHXBAI"" Then I'll be bloody pissed that everyones sold out of the Takara version.
    I'm betting on at least Sideswipe, hopefully Red Alert, because I like his character.

6. Incepticon

Incepticon |-+-|

News Credits:
    I'll buy them if Hasbro releases them (assuming the decos don't royally suck like MP Rodimus or Thundercracker), but I definitely won't skip the Takara versions to wait for them. I'm 100% confident Soundwave & minions will make it over here, somewhat confident that Sideswipe could as well, but have zero expectations to see Red Alert.

7. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No. My method of collecting involves getting both the TT and Hasbro versions. Both sets will have some 'differences' IMO.

8. J2DK

J2DK Fan

I am not waiting for the Hasbro releases. The Soundwave paint apps look perfect on the Takara version. Who knows when we'll get Sideswipe/Red Alert? My problem is that I am only ordering Soundwave and will have to hold off on the smaller guys due to financial constraints. I won't be heartbroken if they sell out, though. Next year, I'll be ready for the masterpieces. After FOC, I'm just going to focus on the Masterpiece line.

9. AutoBobby

AutoBobby The Collector

I'll take my chances and wait.

10. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Searching for the Infin-Honey Stones

News Credits:
    I caved and went to BBTS for Sideswipe today. I decided that peace of mind was worth the (estimated theoretical) $40 bucks extra.

11. EightiesKid

EightiesKid G1 archivist

News Credits:
    There is a really interesting phenomenon that I see in this thread and in others. Many people, including myself, DREAD the "collector stampede" that occurs with TRU US Masterpiece releases. I'm happier paying more for the Takara import MP's, because I can get them without camping out at TRU and stressing over getting the toy. I hate that.

My approach to this is that I will usually get the Takara mold if I like it. And then if it pops up at TRU, I will try to get at least one if I can, and more if I really like the mold.

12. EightiesKid

EightiesKid G1 archivist

News Credits:
    Sorry man, but when I read this, I couldn't help but think of the Dos Equis commercial with the most interesting man in the world. Would be cool to do a Transformer commercial like that. "I don't always buy Masterpiece Transformers, but when I do, I prefer . . . Insert Term - (BBTS / TFSource / Takara Import)"

"Stay pricey my friends."

Good stuff. :thumbs2: 

13. WheelWave140

WheelWave140 Hate's not cool, dudes!

News Credits:
    I think he was going for that, pal.

14. OptimusPrimeFour

OptimusPrimeFour Autobot Supreme Comander

Seeing that MP 10 prime took about over a year almost 2 years to see a US release I will not be waiting for a US MP release ever. I rather give my money to Takara and their MP designers to keep the line going strong. Hasbro just imports it and takes the money and credit when Takara is the one that should get the money and fame. Takara all the way!

15. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Veteran

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    :lol  I hope you didn't have to think too hard about that one man.

To answer the original question, no I'm not waiting. I don't think I've waited for a single US release of Masterpiece figures ... so why change? Which is funny because I've also found multiple US releases of said MP figures ...

16. soundwave69

soundwave69 Well-Known Member

I've got everything preordered. I don't want to wait, especially for something that is not guaranteed to happen. Besides, if the price is right on the Hasbro releases I would just buy them, too, and have robot and alt modes displayed.

17. Dinobot747

Dinobot747 Chopperface

News Credits:
    Let's just say this is the first time I'm seriously considering pre-ordering a Takara product, considering the stunts Hasbro has pulled recently (with not releasing certain figures in the US).

18. bobbyjack

bobbyjack Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I will wait. Thundercracker was my first MP transformer. I lucked out and got him when he went on sale for $56 online. He arrived in perfect condition. Have seen quite a few in the stores. I was able to get Skywarp through a trade. I like the MP-11 mold better but Skywarp wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. He looks pretty cool next to Thundercracker in both modes. (I transform them both every couple of days) I have preordered Optimus from TRU. Saw him in the store the other day. He looks awesome! Can't wait to open him on Christmas. I saw both Grimlock and Rodimus a few times, but wasn't collecting TFs then. Wish I had gotten Grimlock, still don't want Rodimus. I think I will wait on Soundwave and Sideswipe for a U.S. release.

19. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    Many have said it so I am just going to repeat it.

Sideswipe and RedAlert are to risky to wait for. I have no clue if Hasbro has a right to release the mould States side. And even then will we get both releases of the same MP mould.

I would assume Soundwave will eventually see a Hasbro release but he is just too damn important a character to me to wait.

So long story short, I already paid for all three, now we wait for Santa to put them under my tree. :) 

20. amethysted

amethysted Well-Known Member

yes. at the size of ss. ill wait...

sw? im sure they will rerelease him w minions...

just takes time...

history always repeats...