Will you buy Movie toys because of the Movie?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Omega Charge, Feb 17, 2009.

1. Omega Charge

Omega Charge CHARGE ON

News Credits:
    I've heard so much bashing on the toys, how people say "I'm not buying this, I'm not buying that, no Movie toys for me", etc. And I understand that these toys don't look perfect, and many we've seen could use more work.

But my point is: We're all going to see the movie, and hopefully, many of us will enjoy it. I've heard just as much hate for Transformers 1, but I think ROTF will be quite entertaining. So who's going to end up buying figures they don't give a second thought to now?

With me, I bought Movie toys because I loved the movie. I had to buy them to "fulfill" my enjoyment of the experience. I know a lot of you probably did the same, and even ended up selling them later!

I missed out on this topic the first time around, so I'd like to hear what you guys predict what you'll be doing according to your view of the movie.

2. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    To answer the title question: No. I'd buy the Transformers anyway.

3. Deadsled

Deadsled Energon Recovery

News Credits:
    this

4. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    i'm not sure how to answer this so let me try....if there is a transformer on the pegs that i don't have, i buy it.

5. Bgrngod

Bgrngod Autocon

News Credits:
    The question is kind of worded weird, or asking a weird question.

You are essentially asking "Who doesn't want to buy the toys now, but will want to after they see the movie?"

Which is not a question that anyone can answer truthfully now because they won't know until it happens.

I plan on buying several of the toys, before and after seeing the movie.

6. NemesisBruticus

NemesisBruticus Banned

Maybe.

7. Omega Charge

Omega Charge CHARGE ON

News Credits:
    Yes, it's a thought I had that I couldn't quite figure out how to put in written form.

Essentially: How many of you will buy a bad toy because you like the series or character it represents? Did anyone think the first Movie toys were subpar but bought them anyway, and enjoy them for what they represent?

8. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

The movie would really have to turn things around and be a huge leap forward in entertaining me to get me to shift over to getting any of the movie toys.

There tends to be two draws for me when it comes to toys. One is the look, some toys just have a look that draws me to the figure no matter what. The other thing that draws me to a toy is how much do I like the character as they are represented in what I'm watching.

So for example the Animated toys weren't that visually appealing to me, but then there are some figures of some characters that I just had to break down and buy. Not because the toy was better than the other Animated toys, but because there was just something hitting my cool buttons so hard that I just had to have the character in plastic form even though the Animated toys still aren't my thing.

The movie stuff I though well I don't like the look but maybe there will be something about the characters that will endure them to me. Then the Decepticons in the film ended up being total jobbers, getting their butt handed to them by humans, and well that just forever soured me toward any movie toys.

I'm just not sure if the movie really can change enough to make me say I love these characters and I want to have them in plastic form. Just a lot of bad feeling about the lack of character in the first movie to win me over to toys with the second movie.

9. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    i will not buy the devastator giftpack, because i believe he is a bad toy. But i bought everything from the first movie. i love transforming all my toys. I can't stand to be bored, so they give me something to do.

10. slugslinger2004

slugslinger2004 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    No. Even if I absolutely love the character I won't buy the toy if it sucks. The only toy from the 1st movie I own that actually appeared in the film is the concept Camaro Bumblebee. Even though I loved Optimus Prime in the movie I didn't feel the toy was worth my money so I didn't buy it. I feel the same way about Animated because I love the cartoon but I don't want the toys.

11. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

I'll buy some of the toys, and that will be in spite of the movie.

12. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Ill be buying the figures because I like the movie aesthetic. Not just that, but that new prime figure rrroooooohhoocks!! Besides, I'm a bit of a complete-ist. I wasn't sure that I would like the first movie, but after buying and playin with em, I was like" not bad." So I'm assuming that'll happen this round too.

13. kenm2474

kenm2474 LORD DC TFW2005 Supporter

Devastator was the only hope. Now that has been smashed so Nope no movie toys this time.

14. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    ?
    Um... I don't buy toys because of how good the live action version is.

I buy a toy because of how good it is.

I see a bunch of people attempting to bag on those who hate Devastator, by saying "you hate it now, but once you see how cool it is on the big screen you too will buy it".

Quite frankly, I can't understand comments like this. Just because CG might look good on a screen doesn't suddenly make a plastic toy any more stellar.

15. Tell_Story

Tell_Story Well-Known Member

Can I just begin by stating that Transformers are some of the cheapest and flimziest toys on the market today? Case in poin Iron hide. His whole chest plate just folds down at the first touch and the shoulders are all over the place.

I really can't imagine a kid playing with tranformers in any serious way because everything just goes all over the place. After seeing the feet on The Voyager Fallen figure I see we will get more of the same.

Now I like the figures for their realism in alt mode. I don't 'play' around with them I just pose them/transform them every once in a while.

There are a lot of new movie figures I like, but my only thing is I will most likely wait for premiums to come out a year or so from now. I know some people think that you risk missing out on a firgure, but I really haven't found that is the case.

Metalic Ratchet was hard to find, but I got him on EBAY for $30.00 shipped. So yes I plan on picking up a few from the movie line and I confess Sideswipe and Sideways look like Premiums so I will get them. Oh and Soundwave too! Mupflap, Skids, Jolt, the bulldozer might have to wait for premium molds.

I'm not sure about getting another Prime, I'm happy with MA-22.

16. Feralstorm

Feralstorm Good Morning, Weather Hackers! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I will give an epic and definitive "maybe."

17. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    I may buy one because I liked the character, but I wouldn't by a toy I didn't like just because he was in a movie.

Though pretty much every mainline ROTF toy I've seen is on my list to buy, anyway.

I was impressed with the first movie toys and really only regret getting one or two non-screen figs. I'm deffinately getting BB, Prime, IH, SS, Mudflap, Skids, Demolishor, Sideswipe, Soundwave and Rampage. Oh, and Human Alliance Bumblebee.

18. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout ...and I'll whisper "No."

News Credits:
    Probably not. While my first movie toy, Barricade, was bought solely on his infamous "ARE YOU USERNAME LADIESMAN217?!?" scene (still cracks me up hearing an evil robot say "ladiesman":lol ), all my other movie toys that I bought...wait...come to think of it, I only actually bought one other figure in the movie style who were in the movie itself, and that was the G1 Jazz repaint (all my other movie toys are either gifts, el cheapo deals like an almost mint complete Movie Prime for $10, repaints of A/E/C figures, or non movie bots like Landmine and Incinerator).

But this time I'm definetly getting a few ROTF toys simply because they look cool, like Rampage, Breakaway, HA Bumblebee (alt. size FTW), and Soundwave. Oh, and the repainted Energon combiners, who will serve as classics for Bruticus and Superion. And maybe the Ironhide repaint if I like that unique new Autobot logo variant on him.

19. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The toy can only add to my buys.

For example, if I liked X's toy and hated Y's, but in the movie Y was amazing but X sucked that means that I'll just get both, one for being a representation of awesome guy and the other for being a good toy.

20. BeastWars 4ever

BeastWars 4ever Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I love the movie. Don't like the toys. I'll spend my money on what I like.