will we ever know how and when the REAL Ultra Magnus died?

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by trence5, Feb 15, 2015.

1. NoiseMaker

NoiseMaker Well-Known Member

Im EXACTLY the same - the original Ultra Magnus may not have had very many run ins withe current or 'classic' cast. Chances are, he woukd be the ONLY guy we know already, bar some quick exchanges and meetings with guys we know aboutt.

To tangent slightly - this is really the only thing that got to me with the Primacy trilogy: a 4 million plus year war, but with seemingly all the same people fighting at the beginning as at the end? Come on - some imagination please!

IF we ever get to see the original Ultta Magnus' story, it should br as fresh and gritty as only a Magnus death can be, its just a shame we'd know the outcome and afterward in advance.

2. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    Who is that?

3. ZeroiaSD

ZeroiaSD Autobot

From the film/novel 'The Princess Bride.' What is believed to be one unstoppable pirate, known for ruthlessness, swordfighting prowess, and taking no prisoners, is in truth a succession of them, who retire and pass on the name.

4. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    :lol 

Exactly. As far as I'm concerned Minimus is the real Ultra Magnus.

5. DJW107PRIME

DJW107PRIME Autobot Hero

Ebay:
    I'd like to see a glimpse into the lives of all who bore the the title "Ultra Magnus," like others suggested it'd be a cool mini. See what the accomplished in the armor. Maybe do an almost got him with decpticons around a card table with heavy hitters and grunts alike swapping Ultra Magnus stories.

6. Blitz Wing

Blitz Wing Triple Threat

Yeah, I like this idea, an Ultra Magnus mini-series that features the Legacy of all the 'Bots that wore the armour. They could dedicate 1 issue to every 'Bot that wore the armour and show everything they accomplished while using it. The first issue could be about the original Ultra Magnus and the final issue could be about Minimus Ambus.

It would make a pretty funny sub-plot to have a Decepticon that was tasked with killing Magnus and constantly finding that he "somehow" survived every single time.

7. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    Do Minimum Ambus critics think that every man who held the title of U.S. president to be an impostor because they aren't the original REAL president, George Washington?

8. Digilaut

Digilaut Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That's not really a fair comparison, is it? :p 

I think some people are 'simply' projecting what they know and love of G1 Magnus (whichever version) onto IDW's version - so it must feel like a bummer to them that the one they were rooting for died millions of years ago and the current one is simply an impostor.

I guess it also depends on whether or not you were enjoying IDW Magnus before the Minimus reveal as well.

Now that the cat's out of the bag though..I personally feel the Minimus Ambus is simply another take on Magnus - and let's face it: Ultra Magnus has not seen many outrageously different portrayals, but he has had differences.
    Just another 'slightly different take' in the IDW verse, and to me now my favorite next to the Animated one :thumb 

So yeah...I get why people are a bit disappointed, but I also feel it's slightly unfair and..maybe a little overreacting?
    But I shouldn't judge: the great thing about Transformers is we all have our personal favorites, from the A-listers to the downright Z-listers, depending on which characters we were exposed to in the fiction and in the toys.
    It's understandable if one person has no problem accepting a radically different take on character X, but not character Y. :thumb 

9. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    :lolol 

10. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I would actually have an issue if current US presidents claimed to be George Washington and wore his corpse as a suit. That's pretty clearly in poor taste.

The anti-geewunners are actually trying to deny the central weirdness and contradiction at the heart of Minimus Ambus, they are so afraid of conceding any ground to the people who are mad that he's not Optimus Prime's pale brother.

See how any two-party system spirals into absurdity? :lol 

11. edgs2099

edgs2099 Optimistically realistic. Moderator

News Credits:
    Check out my politician impression.

So what you're saying is that you're ANTI-George Washington? Why do you hate freedom? Do you also hate puppies and wish you could wear a puppies corpse?

12. Digilaut

Digilaut Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    “I do solemnly swear...that you are all under arrest for violating section 16223 of the Tyrest Accord."

13. trence5

trence5 Well-Known Member

Finally - thanks man:cool: . Look I'm huge IDW fan (I will defend AHM - and to comic snobbs that's saying something), and yeah I've never said "I HATE THE WHOLE IDW MAGNUS BEING A TRANSTECTOR:) D), POWERSUIT WHATEVER - GRUMBLE". No I, for one, would like to know about the source of the "legend", it wasn't my intention to cause a ruckus - please accept the vaseline.
    I definitely want to know what happened to DELTA since IDW turned a precursor toy into a legitimate character now

14. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    The likes of Primacy only tell us about the early days of the characters that we know of. There would be thousands of other characters that have died during the war who we don't know of.

Would you rather read the story of what Optimus Prime did during his early days or some guy nobody knows who died a long time before the present day stories?

15. NoiseMaker

That's a bit extreme for an example, but I get your point. The story overall generally focused on Prime/Pax, which is great but..
    Ironhide, Prowl, Bumblebee, Hound as Primes unit. The Dinobots, Skorponok, the constructions, stunticons, predacons..the 'science team' wheeljack, ratchet, jetfire, and perceptor. Laserbeak, ultra magnus, kup, hot rod, soundwave, swindle, sky lynx, Starscream... literally all of these guys survived to the present time.
    All of these guys interacting with the same people for four million plus years. The stories are meant to be high stakes, edge of your seats exciting, whats gonna happen next? Well, we know EVERYONE survives.

Yes, I want more unknowns, more like Skar, Blackwall, Slinger, pentius, heck it was more fun when Zeta Prime took centre stage.
    It'd be a lot less predictable, and therefore more interesting. Especially after getting to know some of them eg:Turmoil, Metalhawk, Skyquake.. there are literally THOUSANDS of charqchters that could be used to help raise the stakes, make the events a little more real, more tragic, and more important. Eg one of my faves - kick off, bit the dust almost as soon as he arrived, but has a moment to shine, and kick ass and because of that, remains a firm favourite.

(Incidentally whislt it pops into my head - how aqseome woukd a transformers fighting game be, set during the overlord take over of garrus 9, or the gladiatorial days for that matter?)

But, yeah.. im a bit sick of seeing the main 84 - 88 cast being shoehorned into everything - it really limits the stories/outcomes/potential, especially ones set in the past, as they're all still alive.

As I said before.. id love an Ultra Magnus mini, but id want a whole bunch of 'new' bots

16. NoiseMaker

To further state my point - the thread is about what happened to the original Ultra Magnus? The current Ultra Magnus (Minimus Ambus) is ONLY who he is because the writers introduced new characters ( Minimus, Tyrest - NOT a character before Roche/Roberts expanded upon the Tyrest accord concept in Last Stand..)

New concepts, characters, ideas, etc are whats needed to keep it all fresh and interesting.. otherwise it seems stagnant and small.. Otherwise, you have to reinvent the whole concept again - thinking of the cartoons mostly here.

This thread only came about because of the new concepts and ideas thrown out by the creators NOT retreading the same old ground, and it clearly works otherwise people wouldn't be asking for more!

17. Thunderthruster

Thunderthruster Autobot Supersoldier

News Credits:
    I'd love a mini series that sheds some more light on the previous Magnii.

Not sure if I'd want it to start with the original Magnus and work forward throughthe line, or to start of with Minimus immediate predocessor and work backwards to the original Magnus?

18. GWolfv2

GWolfv2 Deathsaurus - A name you can trust for peace

News Credits:
    Seconded

I think Ironfist taxidermed him.

19. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    He's not wearing a corpse. He wears an armor that was molded after the original Ultra Magnus. Only one wearing a corpse is Movie Prime.

20. UltraMagnus3786

UltraMagnus3786 That's what it is

Haha no problem dude.

Somewhat of a tangent, but I really appreciate that the new Leader Magnus has a Minimus Ambus toy to go with him. Yes, while it's part of Hasbro's brand strategy to link the toys and comics, it's kind of awesomely groundbreaking that they'd release a toy that not only mimics the comics (i.e. Generations Springer) but is "controversial" in that it kind of shatters previous conceptions of the character. It'd be like releasing a Prowlstator, a Megatron with an Autobot insignia, a zombie Metroplex, or a Ratchet with removable Pharma hands (lol ok that's a stretch).