Will they pay?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MegaMoonMan, Dec 19, 2007.

1. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    I own a house in another state that a buddy of mine stays in. Over the course of the summer, the gas was shut off by the gas company due to an unpaid bill. It was shut back on soon after when the bill was paid.

Flash forward to late fall, he calls me and tells me the gas furnace won't fire up. He's not the greatest at machine problems, and he says everything seems to be working but it just won't get hot, so I told him to call the furnace guy to come look at it.

It turns out that there was a separate gas inlet on the gas meter outside for the furnace that didn't get shut back on when the gas was turned on again. It seems the gas company guy forgot to turn it back on, and I don't really understand why it got shut in the first place.

Now I have a $140 bill from the furnace guy for doing nothing more than turning the gas for the furnace back on, on a valve that should have been on in the first place.

I feel like the gas company should take care of this bill, and I plan on sending them the bill. What do you think the chances are of them actually paying it?

2. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

Slim to none.

Over the summer I had a pipe burst in my basement, being the cheapskate I am, I borrowed my brother in law's propane torch and fixed it myself.

The following month I got a $250 water bill, when I called the water company and told them about the broken pipe they informed me that I had to have a receipt from a plumber showing I had it repaired and that, no, a receipt for the pipe solder and joint I bought from home depot was not good enough.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2007
  3. RandomFerret

RandomFerret Fuzzy Forever

News Credits:
    One hundred percent chance. They will definitely pay.

The question is, how far are you willing to argue your case? At minimum, I'd make sure you have six hours free to be on the phone.

4. MegaMoonMan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Well that's one thing I have - the bill from the furnace guys states that he had to turn the gas back on at the meter.

5. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

In that case you might be ok.

6. Razorclaw

Razorclaw Are ya gonna draw pistols

I'd do it. They're liable for it. You could take them to court if you like.

7. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

I suck at things like this, this is when you get the woman on the phone. They're good with that stuff.

8. Blaster_Prime

Blaster_Prime drank the last beer

Took the words right out of my mouth...literally...give them back please! :lol 

9. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

I agree with RandomFerret. Depending on how far you're willing to take it, there's a close to 100% chance. However, there's ALSO close to a 0% chance they pay it if you just send them the bill. You're going to have to do a lot of work and fighting and possible filing of a lawsuit to get it. Only you can decide what your time is worth, and whether it is worth the amount of time it will require to get the $140 back.

10. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I gotta believe if you call them (and have a fax machine handy, so you can send it quickly to the same person you're talking to) and are courteous, you'll get it back.

My exish-wife was awful with customer service types. She took a lot of things they said as an insult and would get crabby pretty quickly, then ended up passing the phone to me. I think the trick is just to never get pissed at the person talking when it's the system at fault.
    Y'all are crazy. Even in small claims, the time and effort he'd have to spend doing this would rapidly end up costing more than the $140 he lost. Plus, different states? Shee-it, not even feasible.

11. MegaMoonMan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Yeah, I wouldn't bother trying to take it to court, but I won't rule out mentioning the possibility to them if they get uppity.

12. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Hey, that's tactical thinking right there. Nothing wrong with that.

Just sound like you're a crabby old guy that's willing to spend time and money proving a point. But I mean...that IS kinda you, isn't it? :D 

13. MegaMoonMan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Pretty much. :mad  <--- is cranky

14. Lance Halberd

Lance Halberd oh hai

News Credits:
    Shut on?

I've never heard that before.

15. Otispq

Otispq Elocution Onymous

News Credits:
    Don't forget the option not yet listed, ask for your money, but if needed, settle on a credit to your account with them. I'd say the liklihood of you receiving a check are slim, but a credit to your account is something almost anybody working there could arrange.
    That's what I got from the cable company who disconnected my house instead of the neighbors when they moved. They charged me a reconnect fee, and our account is set up as an autopay thru the bank, and when I saw the bank statement I called in but nobody could authorize a check being sent, but the credit to the account took 1 minute to complete. Try it.

16. MegaMoonMan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    I don't pay that gas bill, so a credit to my account wouldn't do me any good, but I suppose I could talk my buddy into giving me the money for the credit.

17. RandomFerret

RandomFerret Fuzzy Forever

News Credits:
    You hear it a lot in the Ottawa region. There's no such thing as a language, just a whole bunch of regional dialects clumped together.

18. MegaMoonMan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    You know, I never thought about "shut on" before - I guess it doesn't make any sense if you think about it. I thought it was a typo, and then I realized I actually say that from time to time.

19. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    werd. the weemenfolk are good at arguing. just sic em on ppl.

20. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Yeah, I save these issues for something for her to do when the pms monster is out.

She'll be like what what WHAT!??
    Flames start coming out when she sighs. That's why girls have no nosehairs