will they ever bring overlord back?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by GENOZAUR, Dec 27, 2010.

1. GENOZAUR

GENOZAUR Banned

question

assuming that we ever see overlord get a figure in the transformers toylines which would you prefer

seeing him be released as part of the C.H.U.G /RTS lines with a all new modernized look that stays true to the original lo0ok and feel of the character from the idw comics and the masterforce series?

or seeing him get a botcon exlcusive release with him being a remold and repaint of a currently existing figure?

me i could see a mega jet figure and a gigatank figure being released as a 2 pack set in which each figure has its own robot mode with the two being able to powerlink together to form a even better combiner mode asa super robot form with this being the true overlord form and neither figure or the combiner form having a base mode at all

but i could also see overlord being released asa botcon exclusive figure with him being a remold and repaint of cybertron megatron for example

this picture here is what really got me thinking on the matter

Browsing deviantART
    and i am totally sold on the idea

2. Buzzer-Bot

Buzzer-Bot Kamikaze

Problem is whether he retains his base mode cos' bases are not all that popular nowadays...still A CHUG Overlord would be damn interesting. And Supreme class is appropriate.

3. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    Before this gets moved to the Toy Discussion forum, I also have hopes that Overlord will get a reissue in the US. But who knows if that will ever happen.

I don't care what toyline they include it in or how they choose to release it. I just want to own an affordable one that won't cost me a month's income.

I would even join the TFCC to own one, as long as Hasbro didn't jack the price to a ridiculously exploitative amount.

4. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If Hasbro/Takara ever made a triple-changing Classics Blitzwing, I'd be fine with him being repainted/remolded into Overlord if the final product looked good. I don't care for the "base" mode or two vehicles part being replicated by a new Overlord toy, I just want a decent approximation with a nice 'bot mode and I'm good. I'd certainly like it if Overlord got his own mold over being stuck as a repaint...but if the alternative is a repaint or nothing at all, hypothetical Classics Blitzwing would be fine with me.

Barring an appearance in a Classics/Generations-type line, I think we're left with him being used in Prime or the movieverse (possible, but I'm thinking not likely) or a random repaint for Botcon if they wanted to do a G1 Japan or Last Stand of the Wreckers theme.

5. Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus Movie Megs eats your soul

News Credits:
    A reissue is unlikely to me, given the current market (or lack of one) for reissues in general.

But in the main lines? Dude in the past few months we've gotten brand new Thunderwing and Straxus toys, so I'm of the opinion damn near NOTHING G1-related is off the table. The real issue will be how successful whatever toy we get will be.

6. Automorpher

Automorpher Autobot Slut!

News Credits:
    Much as I like that Galaxy Force Master Megatron Repaint, I'll still prefer it to be a NEW/Updated mold in the "whatever-you-may-call-it" series rather than a Repaint tied to some store/convention label.

Recently, I was swept off my feet when I saw a custom Overlord as done up by Sabrina_Ng. In fact, the love grew so much till I ended up getting myself a G1 Overlord! :eek:  (Something which I deliberately missed out on for the last 14 years simply because I couldn't be bothered with that character.)

7. ORIO

ORIO Plant-Based Bot Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Fell in love with Overlord after reading Last Stand Of The Wreckers 1800 times.

A repaint like that would satisfy me, as I've never owned that mold.

I would prefer an all new Generations mold, but would fear him ending up all tiny like Thunderwing.

I definitely don't see any resemblance or repaint potential from a Blitzwing mold happening. That just doesn't make sense to me.

8. Wollstone

Wollstone Banned

We never had Overlord, so technically he would be our first. :p 

9. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Touché.

And no, we will not see an Overlord.

10. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout SANTARN IS COMING AGAIN TFW2005 Supporter

Sorry, but not going to happen unless Botcon rules change about exclusives. Right now the highest figure class that can be used as an exclusive is "Ultra", but the electronics have to be removed. Leaders are not used because of the need to remove electronics to keep the exclusive manufacturing prices manageable for FunPub.

However, Armada Megatron would be a good substitute. He's ultra class, turns into a tank, already turns into a kind of "psuedo-base" mode, and the Leader-1 Minicon could be renamed to Lord Mega along with a repurposed mini-con from some other figure to be made into Lady Giga.

Or, on a smaller, mini-con less point of view, WfC Megatron would make a neat Overlord. He's got the tank, too, but it can become a hovertank and the giant cannon could be used in place of the Jet component on the arm.

11. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'll be the optimist in the thread and say that we will get an Overlord figure, and he will be a Voyager-class CHUG-style toy with his two components being roughly Deluxe sized.

As has already been said, we've just gotten Thunderwing and a Straxus homage, and we're likely to get Black Shadow. After this year, I'm of a mind to say everything will happen.

Though I have to say, that Cybertron-Megatron-into-Overlord repaint drawing is pretty sexy.

12. Wollstone

Wollstone Banned

We're getting Black Shadow, so ruling out an Overlord seems a bit nonsensical at this point.

13. kaos

kaos the original thirteen

as long as he doesnt get shafted like galv's or thunderwing..seriously hasbro/takara two of the baddest decepticons reduced to bots the size of dwarfs..i shutter to think of what hasbro/takara given their current direction with badass cons would do to my beloved overlord..

14. Wollstone

Wollstone Banned

A small figure is better than none at all.

15. kaos

kaos the original thirteen

still sux tho:2c: 

16. Maximo Prime

Maximo Prime Bassist of Ill Repute

Ebay:
    that drawing using cyb megs - VERY cool.

I would like to see Overlord as a Voyager. Not too pricey, and larger than other non Megatron leaders like Straxus and Thunderwing.

17. Wollstone

Wollstone Banned

Not really. If a deluxe Overlord turns out to be anything like Thunderwing, then he would be a wicked figure.

18. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout SANTARN IS COMING AGAIN TFW2005 Supporter

Lugnut would like to have a word with you.

Also, with these neat new figures for obscure characters, one must remember that the average kid generally has no clue whatsoever of who these guys are. Excluding Galvatron (who was made a Deluxe because of Hasbro's "too many tanks in the voyager line even though we repainted Cyb. Dropshot twice and only had one new Voyager in the line" BS), the average kid wouldn't know who Thunderwing is or why it's cool that he got a deluxe in Generations in the first place. Same goes for Straxus, Skullgrin, and the upcoming Black Shadow. At the deluxe pricepoint, Hasbro can make these characters to please the fans and sustain less risk of those characters shelfwarming because other, more familiarly named characters (Optimus Prime, Bumblebee, etc.) will sell and move in new waves. Theoretically, of course, as the still-shelfwarming Wave 1 HFTD deluxes in my area can attest.

Following that logic, Overlord does stand a good chance of getting A new toy (if Thunderwing can be a giant rampaging mindless monster in a four-part mini-series and get a Deluxe, Overlord's key role as psychopathic near-invincible villian of the 5-part and wildly popular LSoTW certainly deserves a figure), but the average kid probably will not have read the series at all, so a deluxe of some sort is most likley.

19. Buzzer-Bot

Buzzer-Bot Kamikaze

It is fine for Overlord to be a deluxe at minimum since he's not that huge bruiser in Megatron Origins, he was as tall as Sunstreaker!

20. T-Logicon

T-Logicon assembles the drones

I'd be interested to see a modern interpretation of Overlord (or an actual re-issue.) The closest thing I have to this figure is the HOC Powermaster Gigatron.