Will there ever be Alternators from the new movie?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Tycho, May 13, 2007.

1. Tycho

Tycho Well-Known Member

What do you think of the chances of us getting the following Alternators:

BumbleBee (2007 Camarro)
    Jazz (2007 Solstace)
    Barricade (2007 "fake" Mustang)?

These would look so cool. They can even repaint the Wheeljack / Grimlock figure as Barricade, though it would hardly be accurate.

2. Shipley

Shipley No Topic Required

News Credits:
    no.

There will be an "ultimate Bumblebee" but the rest of the cars are sticking to being deluxes.

3. Cujo

Cujo United States Air Force

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    yeah utimate bumble bee looks as "alternators" as we are going to get from the movie...... one can dream though =)

4. mblase

mblase Well-Known Member

The problem is, Alternators are supposed to resemble the original G1 figures (if not the G1 cars) -- movie TFs resemble their G1 versions only from the neck up.

I'll welcome Ultimate Bumblebee, even if I may never be able to afford him (although I'm sure Wal-Mart will put him on clearance eventually), but I won't ask for more than that.

The real problem with Alternators, of course, is that we're out of good ones to do. Almost all the G1 cars have been used, and we're left with trucks and SUVs, which don't sell well in Japan and won't get made into toys today without a lot of coaxing.

Who's left... (checks a list)... Ironhide and Ratchet, Trailbreaker and Hoist, Brawn, Gears, Huffer, Bumblebee and Cliffjumper, Red Alert, Grapple and Inferno.... that's it. Fans have made it clear they don't want Alternators Bumblebee as anything but at VW Beetle, so that's probably why we haven't seen him yet. That's not counting the remaining Stunticons, as well as Runabout and Runamuck, but we need Autobots first (good guys sell better).

OTOH, we can go to year 3 to obtain Hubcap, Beachcomber, Tailgate, Wheelie, Blurr, Rodimus/Hot Shot, Kup, Streetwise, Springer and Sandstorm, and maybe a few more if we go the Grimlock route and pick non-cars. Chromedome, Pointblank, Sureshot, and Crosshairs, along with Lightspeed, Punch/Counterpunch (two Alternators right there!), Chase, Freeway, Goldbug, and Searchlight, all come from year 4.

If I had my druthers, I'd request Hoist and Trailbreaker as some kind of SUV for the next Alternators designs (we've already got Ironhide and Ratchet as movie toys), followed by Gears and Brawn as... well, anything, really, and eventually Bumblebee and Cliffjumper as something reminiscent of their Beetle or movie designs.

5. atreyu2112

atreyu2112 Well-Known Member

Keep the Alt's line the way it is. The movie merch has already pushed out the rest of the lines and will have more than enough stuff on the shelves for the rest of the year.

To add to that, I am not a big fan of the movie designs. They look like Spawn Mecha / Robotech Invid Inorganics rip-offs, not the Transformers I grew up with. Lets not taint the ultra cool Alt's.

I really hope the Hot Rod version of the Ford GT is NOT an exclusive and is indeed the first in a new wave of Alt's.

I think a red version of Scion XB (Skids) as IronHide ~or~ a white version as Rachet would work, & I'd definitely buy one of each. It's looks very close to the G1 version in both modes of those characters.

What ever happened to the Cadillac?

I also remember hearing that if the movie does well that it would be a better possibility to get more licences (like Volkswagen) and would increase character possibilities (like Bumblebee). Trailbreaker as a Hummer would be very cool.

6. Doctor Ingenious

Doctor Ingenious Doctorate in Ingeniology

Hopefully they'll expand the line into other TF series than G1, including the movie line.

7. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

Yeah... I don't necessarily think this is out of the realm of possibility... though it probably wouldn't happen right away. It could be something that we see down the road. Or maybe we might get some Alternators (assuming the line still has some life in it) that sort of "bridge" the old designs and movie designs. Like Bumblebee as a Camaro, but with some more "G1" traits... stuff like that.

As for future molds for Alternators/Binaltech/Asterisk/KISSplayers... we've already gotten some unusual choices. Shockwave, Grimlock, Omnibots, Rollbar, Rumble and Ravage, even "Broadblast" (Blaster)... so I don't think they'd run out of characters for a while.

I'd really like to see a Trailbreaker and Hoist in the Dodge Ram mold... I'm too lazy to do all the kitbashing, and Nemesis Prime is way to expensive to buy just as a base for Trailbreaker.

However, Ratchet and Ironhide as Scions...? That was ruined for me the day I saw a REAL Scion. They're TINY! They aren't mini-vans. They're boxy hatchbacks. Seriously. You couldn't fit a sick person and a stretcher in one of those things. :) 

Cliffjumper, Brawn, Gears, Kup, Blurr (as earth vehicles)... still plenty of figures I'd like to see...

zmog

8. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

That's not necessarily true, Decepticharge was never even in G1, Alt Deadend looks nothing like G1 Deadend, Ravage (Corvette version) is damn near a Beast Wars homage, and quite a few of the Autobots look nothing like their G1 counterpart.

Personally, I'd love to see movie Alternators, or at least 1:24 scale movie figures with Alternator style details.

9. Magelite

Magelite I make stupid look good

A movie alternator or masterpiece would have to be several feet high.

10. Savanna

Savanna Want to Touch my Wankel?

Barricade is not a Fake Mustang. Its a full on real Saleen Mustang. Nothing Fake about it.

Plus Alternators are a seperate thing from the movie. Movie and Alt designs in Bot form are 2 totally differnet things.

11. Tycho

Tycho Well-Known Member

Thank you: A Saleen! That is the car type I was searching for a name for. They use Mustang bodies, but they are not Fords. That being said, Hasbro would need to work out a license with Saleen.

Anyway, I might rephrase: I'd like to see Alternator-quality 'bots NAMED Barricade and BumbleBee at the very least - approximately 1:24 scale vehicles (the latter being a yellow 2007 Camarro). The robots would look (well in BumbleBee's case) more G1, within the limitations of the designs.

The movie designs look nothing like G1 above or below the neck. I'm not a fan of the movie designs. But I want good toys in case their winds up being quality in the story told.

12. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    Well if Kickback is right about the Alt line being dead (which I, for one, believe he is), I wouldn't bet on seeing movie characters in it.

Even if Alternators was continuing, I'd imagine it would stick to the more G1-ish flavor of all the other non-Decepticharge toys. It's a pity the line never branched out, a Sideburn or Hot Shot Alternator would've been neat.

13. cybertron2006

cybertron2006 Fly By Clockwork Pictures

Here's my ideas:

Bumblebee- VW Beetle
    Optimus- Dodge Charger R/T (1970s)
    Barricade- Acura RSX (Police)
    Gears- Chevrolet Silverado

14. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    We might end up seeing "ultimate" versions of, say, Jazz, if the fan demand is waaay up there. I wouldn't put a universal "no" on anything, though. On the flip side, however, they probably won't be branded under the name "Alternators."

15. Cory Bauer

Cory Bauer Well-Known Member

Very much so. With chrome detailing, rubber tires, complete paint schemes, ad all those other things that make Alternators stand out from the mainline toys. Hell, I'd even pay $40 a pop for Alternator-styled movie figures, if it means they were more movie-accurate and detailed than the deluxe & voyager editions.

16. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    Yeah, alts are dead. However, I would love to see Bumblebee and Barricade in 1/24 scale. Maybe even Ironhide too. Though he'd need to be in the $25 size class that doesn't exist anymore.

17. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    I was thinking for Cybertron Figures as Alts.

Megatron-Ford Mustang
    Yellow Scrapmetal-Honda Civic
    Override-Chevy Z06
    Hardtop-Jeep Wrangler
    Hot Shot-Ford GT
    Clocker-Dodge Viper
    Overhual-Jeep Wrangler
    Crumplezone-Acura RSX
    Metroplex-Roadbot Hummer
    Snarl-Jaguar XK