Will the US ever get RiD/Unicron Trilogy in Japanese?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by johnboy3434, May 1, 2011.

1. johnboy3434

johnboy3434 Well-Known Member

Yo. I was looking at box sets for the various Japanese series*, and I noticed that the DVD sets for RiD/Armada/Energon/Cybertron were dub-only (in addition to Energon missing the episode that was never dubbed). I prefer movies/shows in their original language, but I have no idea how feasible such a release is. Should I cave and buy the sets, or would I stand to gain anything by holding out for a Japanese release?

*Well, the ones that were televised over here, anyway; I'm stoked for Shout!'s new Japanese Collection and hope a release for Beast Wars II/Neo is somewhere in the future.

EDIT: O_O How did I misspell "get"? It's only three letters long! Could a mod be so kind as to correct the thread title so I don't look like an illiterate bum?

2. FreshDebesh

FreshDebesh <b><font color=brickred>oye chak de phatte!</font> Veteran

Fixed :) 

3. johnboy3434

Thanks! *gives robo-cookie*

NOW we can move on to the topic at hand. I have a feeling the answer is going to be a resounding "fat chance", but I just wanted to check.

4. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    There's virtually zero chance of that happening. Certainly, at the very least, it's *impossible* to have a dual-language release of RiD without redubbing it, as there were so many little bits and pieces both removed and added to the footage that the audio wouldn't line up.

5. Roanstalker

Roanstalker Great Baan Gaan fan

News Credits:
    This.

I think Micron Legend has some animation done up that I'm not sure if they would actually sync right?

6. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Micron Legend's stuff was redrawn and edited, rather than cut/added, from what I know. I don't think this would affect the timing, but I could be wrong.

7. Roanstalker

News Credits:
    Oh I know but I'm wondering if this redrawn animation would cause timing differences?

8. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    It's only two or three episodes that have confirmed footage differences between Armada and Micron Legend. They didn't redo the entire show or anything.

9. Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus Movie Megs eats your soul

News Credits:
    Last I knew, RiD was in Disney's hands (unless Saban snapped that back when they re-acquired their library from Disney)

But I really don't see much of a demand for all that. All of those shows were dubbed for US consumption. And in light of the less than steller view of the Unicron Trilogy shows to begin with, I'm not sure there is THAT much of a demand to see the same mediocre shows, but in Japanese.

All things considered, I think the Japanese Beast Wars series have a bit more marketability, if only because most in the US haven't seen them (or in their entirety)

10. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Doubtful. I think they just cleaned up how some stuff looked and corrected some errors.

11. stilettoheels

stilettoheels Banned

this is why gawd created Vuze

12. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    I'd agree with you, but there's clueless otaku out there who are convinced that the "accurate translation" of the Japanese plot makes the shows more coherent than their American counterparts. Doesn't change the pitiful animation, unlikeable characters, or childish Japanese tropes, but whatevs...

I'm not entirely sure about that. Yes, there are plenty of people who are curious about it -because- they've never seen it, but the few who have seen it were pretty quick to claim that, prior to Energon being produced, BW2 was the dumbest Transformers cartoon of them all. People want to see it, but that doesn't mean they'll enjoy it, and the amount who are genuinely interested can't be all that large

13. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

I wouldn't mind if we get subtitled-only sets of the Japanese versions of RID and Unicron Trilogy, as well as subtitled-only sets of the Japanese Beast Wars shows.

Oh, and to the person who was unsure if RID was still in Disney's hands or not, Saban has regained the rights to RID.

14. Tripredacus

Tripredacus K-Mart-ian Legend

News Credits:
    The audio is different tho. Better music (IMO) and for example the clones in Super Link talk. But also I was under the impression (besides Japan's combined universe thing) that Galaxy Force was not intended to be a sequal to Micron Legend and Super Link like it was in the US. I can't find a video right now on youtube i might be mistaken about the clones talking.

15. johnboy3434

This is correct. What would become Cybertron was not originally linked to Armada/Energon. It only became so in the dubbing process. Then later on, the Japanese made "fuck it" their official continuity policy and smashed the two together despite the complete lack of coherency. At one point, they even tried to stick the 2007 film into the G1 cartoon's continuity, but quickly realized how utterly idiotic that was.

16. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    Actually, the original plan for Galaxy Force was for it to be a sequel to Superlink, but then Takara's oh-so-wonderful marketing department that never really managed to grasp Transformers decided to make it a separate continuity. There were Japanese control drawings for some of the GF toys that explicitly referred to them by their Hasbro names.
    http://snakas.web.infoseek.co.jp/event/0410entama.htm

Hasbro simply decided to stick with their original plans, and then Takara went back after the show had ended and effectively said "yeah, Hasbro is right".

17. johnboy3434

But when the episodes themselves were being written, it was intended to be in its own continuity, correct? Because parts of it really don't mesh all that well (if at all) with the precedings. So the return to original intent would still be a retcon.

18. Roanstalker

News Credits:
    Correct.