Heavy/Scratch: Will the REAL Snarl please stand up!! **8-2-08 Update**

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by big hank, Jul 27, 2008.

1. big hank

big hank Resident Slacker-Basher

News Credits:
    ***8-02-08 UPDATE***

Hey all!! Here's just a quick little update on 'ol Snarl for ya! Sculpted the face a little, I still need to clean it up around the horns!

I also started to scratch build his sword. I opted for the classic G1 style sword, mostly because I'm to lazy too cut out a flamey one!!:D 

I also started on the rest of the spinal plates, should have another update for them tonight!!

Have at it with the comments and crits, and as always thanks for looking!
    Enjoy!!---BH

ORIGINAL POST
    ______________________________________________________________________________

HEY HEY Everbody!! Been awhile since I got a chance to check out and show off some new stuff! You guys are KILLIN' me with all the awesomeness!!

I had a little leg trouble that kept me off my feet and away from the workbench until tonight, so I'm itchin' to show off my latest: TFA Snarl!! Yeah, the REAL Snarl!! He was my favorite Dinobot back then, still is now! This guy was sooo easy to conceptualize, but man what a beast to put together!

Where do I start? Well, he's a Stegosaurus now, as he should be.

I lengthened the wheelbase a little.

Full rotation at the waist now, which is needed for the NEW LEGS!!

I wanted to get away from the "sumo squat" that Slag has, and give Snarl a whole new look, not just some plates on the back and call it a day! So I developed the new transformation and legs for him.

You may notice a lack of beast head, well my new bot mode hides the head neatly inside his body!! Very clean looking!

His plates (the ones I have done) fold flat to become his chest piece! Too cool!

Hands are from TFTM Stockade, just to set him further apart from Slag. I also leave his shoulders flat against his arms, again to make him stand on his own.

One of the big challenges was to find a way to have the tail spikes point up in both modes, I engineered a very simple and elegant way to achieve this. Oil Slick donated his hands for the tail spikes, and it was a very nerve racking set of cuts to make!! One little slip and the tail would be destroyed! I am very pleased with the outcome!

The head will be Oil Slick's as well, but I will widen the head by adding the appropriate G1 style horns and vents.

Bonus time!! SNARL IS AS TALL AS GRIMLOCK NOW!! Fitting since I always envisioned him as second in command of the Dinobots. Sludge is in the concept stages, so I hope to have a full set of TFA Dinobots real soon! As always, feel free to give me your input, good or bad! All comments welcome! Thanks for looking and ENJOY!!!---BH

Attached Files:

2. Terrorcon_King

Terrorcon_King Has Gone Transmetal

News Credits:
    Now big hank That is slaggin awsome!!!!!!!!! its about time some1 dose it!

3. shade 0066

shade 0066 Live Fast, Drive Faster!

That is beyond cool. Can't wait to see it finished.

4. Rumble02

Rumble02 Radicon of Obliticons

that is freaking awesome man.woot

5. unicronsupreme

unicronsupreme supremest of unicrons

News Credits:
    I'm planning on doing this once I'm done with my movie insecticons. My plans are pretty different from what you've done (hopefully less complicated). I'm interested in what you're going to do for Sludge, I could use a little inspiration.

6. big hank

News Credits:
    Sounds cool!! Can't wait to see your take on Snarl! :thumb As for Sludge, the PLANS( we all know how that works out) is to use Voyager Bulkhead, I have worked out a nifty transformation (about 50%) that should hide some of the Dino-kibble! (fingers crossed)

Thanks everybody for the positive reaction, but shouldn't you all be in bed by now? I guess I am not the only obsessed insomniac around here!!LOL:lol 

7. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

Wow. I had plans for doing something similar to this, but I had no idea how to proceed. Nice job! I like the extra height you've given him.

I wish I could actually find TFA Snarl for sale around here. :p 

zmog

8. unicronsupreme

News Credits:
    Hmm, I can see Bulkhead's arms working well as dino legs, but I think I'm probably going to harvest something else since I don't want to lose my bulkhead and I can't afford more fodder right now. The thing is, that without modifying an existing animated character I think it'd be hard to get the animated look so I may end up having to buy an figure to use. I'm actually looking more at Grimlock and trying to do a G1-esque transformation.

As for being asleep, it's only 12:30 here so... not all that late.

9. big hank

News Credits:

Yeah, I see your point, I was gonna have to use Grimlock parts for Bulkhead plus scratch build for my way to work, could get costly.

10. girafeswordsman

girafeswordsman Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The final version is gonna be so sick

11. unicronsupreme

News Credits:
    I've actually got a few things that I really want to do and not do with custom snarl. I don't want his dino head on his robot chest and I don't want a bunch of plates just hanging out there either. That basically means that I'm going to have to find a way to hide the head like you did (though hopefully differently) and move the plates away. I'd also like to give him an original weapon for which I'm thinking a spiky shield might be appropriate and a good way to get his plates off his robot mode.

12. unicronsupreme

News Credits:
    sorry for the double post but could you take a pic of the back of the lower arms? I'm curious as to how you modded them to get the longer hands to fit.

13. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    Dude!!....are you serious?!.....this is friggin sweet!!....I am loving this.

BTW, hows Hot Rod and Scorponok coming?....any updates on those two?

14. big hank

News Credits:
    Hey PK!! Glad ya likey 'ol Snarl!! Got another cool wip to post up tonight as well! :inquisiti 
    Here's the lowdown on Scorps and Roddy!

Scorponok: still tryin' the beast mode head mod I want, I actually broke down and bought some ball joints from HLJ. While I prefer the challenge of scratch buiding my joints, some things just hafta have ball joints, Scorps' head is one of those things! :thumb 

Hot Rod: Tried to commit suicide (was it something I did?) and fell off the workbench. Broke one half of the nosecone/backpack clean off(well, not so clean) so I am re-engineering the front end so it is a little more sturdy and can take a hit or two!!

Sorry I'm so slow guys, but I get like Monk when I start working on things!:D 

15. Swoop86

Swoop86 Gestalt

wow this is amazing. i might have to try it. cant wait for sludge as he is my favorite dinobot besides swoop of course!

16. iconscons

iconscons Well-Known Member

I've already ordered my 2 slags/snarls so I could change one. As another poster said, my plan was simpler, but yours does have some nice points to it. I like the way you handled the tail spikes.

Hopefully mine will come nearly as nice as yours.

Have you put any thought into putting plates on the rear half of the body?

17. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Excellent so far. The only animated figures I am into are the Dinobots, so it's awesome to see it's possible to create the missing members

18. JAF

JAF 1984

Snarl is a personal favorite obviously. I'm psyched to see you hooking this up. It looks great so far. Go go go!

19. Rhinox555

Rhinox555 Insert clever joke here.

Wow,i've been planning this as well,but mine is never gonna be this good.

20. Nemesis Predaking

Nemesis Predaking Offical Enforcer WTF@TFW Veteran

News Credits:
    So this is what you were talking about.
    Very sweet, Bro

Sucks about Rodi.