Will the new TF Movie be given a low budget? Read this....

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Born 2B Alive!, Jul 14, 2008.

1. Born 2B Alive!

Born 2B Alive! Director Of Entertainment

News Credits:
    Ebay:
  2. Elita_One

Elita_One Метал для життя

As long as they have enough money for Soundwave, I'm good.

3. Born 2B Alive!

Born 2B Alive! Director Of Entertainment

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Just in case the link says you have to register or something stupid like that.........

Paramount forced to suspend $450m financing
    By Matthew Garrahan in Los Angeles

Published: July 15 2008 00:12 | Last updated: July 15 2008 01:28

The credit crunch has hit home in Hollywood after Paramount Pictures, which has released a string of hit movies this year, was forced to suspend plans for a $450m film financing.

The studio has been working with Deutsche Bank on financing that would have provided funds for up to 30 films, including possible blockbusters such as the sequel to Transformers and a new version of Star Trek.

A person familiar with the negotiations said Paramount had walked away from the agreement because the terms had become too onerous. ”The terms had become unattractive compared with alternative sources of financing available to Paramount,” he said.

Although another bank may yet step in and rescue the package Paramount is likely to have to put the financing on ice until credit markets stabilise. Liquidity has dried up and although film slate deals can generate lucrative returns, potential lenders are steering clear of asset classes that are not triple-A rated

Both Paramount and Deutsche Bank declined to comment.

Under the Deutsche deal, which would have also covered Tropic Thunder, the new Ben Stiller comedy, and The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, which stars Brad Pitt, the syndicate assembled by the bank would have taken a 25 per cent stake in each of the 30 films.

But while Deutsche was able to assemble the equity and junior debt component, the credit freeze meant the bank could not generate interest in the deal’s senior debt component

In the last few years Wall Street has beat a path to the door of Hollywood studios, with lenders and investors eager to share in the glamour and potential returns of the film industry.

With the cost of movie production spiralling, bringing in outside partners allows studios to offset the risk attached to making and distributing their film slates. However, as the credit crunch has started to bite, Wall Street has retreated with several banks, including Dresdner, moving out of film financing.

While Deutsche’s decision to close its film unit is a blow for Paramount, the films affected by the deal are still likely to be released as scheduled.

But if the studio fails to revive the deal with another bank it could force Paramount to seek funds from Viacom, the media conglomerate that owns the studio, to produce the titles. This would expose the company to greater financial risk if the films fail to perform as expected.

4. flamingunicron

flamingunicron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Paramount will try to get enough money for the films. Star Trek and Transformers are highly anticipated and will do well, so there shouldn't be any problem finding more money/investments.

5. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I can't see TF being one of the films that takes a hit, if any do.

It just wouldn't be solid business sense. Then again, a studio made yet another Eddie Murhpy film, so who knows?

6. ErechOveraker

ErechOveraker I'm with Plowking.

News Credits:
    Yeah I doubt TF is going to feel the crunch from that.

7. General Tekno

General Tekno Self-Styled #1 Lugnut Fan

News Credits:
    Transformers and Star Trek won't have a problem.

8. artiepants

artiepants Just over here punching Unicron.

News Credits:
    yeah, i don't think TF or ST will have a problem, especially as far along in production as both are. (plus doesn't Hasbro help fund TF and GIJoe?)

I also think theres a good chance Paramount will find a new investment partner, they're on track (or have they already?) to clear 1 bil. worldwide with Indiana Jones and Iron Man alone this year.

9. Superion33

Superion33 Banned

Its ok, fellas, we can still make a movie that those plebs will pay money to go see. What we'll do is this:

1) Instill a "shakey cam" view for the action scenes. Basically, this way, we can cut costs with CGI as the audience won't really be able to tell whats going on.

2) Not really hire writers but guys who just ape stuff from other movies' plot lines and incorporate MacGuffins and Deux ex machina type elements.

3) Focus the story more on human elements than the TFs as it would cut cost on CGI considerably. I know, I know, you're probably thinking, "but isn't that what the plebs came to see - Transformers?" But you see, we'll just make a reason like "you plebs can only understand such a hard concept like big robots with your teeny little minds if its told through human perspectives". Believe me, they'll eat up anything we feed them.

4) Have GM pay us to use their cars in the movies. Sure, the movie will become a huge commercial for GM cars, but who cares?

10. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:
    I don't know how you intend to show this movie to the lower class citizens of imperial Rome, Superion33, but I'm sure that if they could see 2000 years into the future, they wouldn't appreciate their opinions and personal taste being mocked thusly by an internet nerd.

11. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    Hasbro licensed their brands to Paramount, so Paramount paid them to use the brands, but Hasbro didn't contribute to the budget of the original TF and GI Joe, so they had no veto power during production. I don't think they'd have ponied up money for TF2 unless they wanted the ability to *really* have their say.

12. ThaConqueror

ThaConqueror Rock! Robot Rock!

Ha! That's pure class, that is.

13. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

Does this mean Optimus Prime in stop motion? They could just take all of the movie toys and film them in someone's garage.

14. kronos

kronos PSN = KRONOSX1

News Credits:

nope, some guy in a suit!

meet the NEW 2009 Transformers Movie Prime

[​IMG]

15. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    Here's a thought: Stop paying ridiculous amounts of money to actors and actresses!!!!

16. Johnator

Johnator 'Til All Are Gone!

Funniest thing I have read all day! :lol 

17. Sablebot

Sablebot Autobot Media Scientist

The budget

Well, considering that TF2 has already started shooting, which means that the budget had already been approved before a frame of film was shot, I think this article is hinting that a cap may be put on the budget, not a decrease.

I don't doubt that this situation can't be fixed - the cats that sit on the boards for these movie studios, as well as several Fortune 1,000 corporations(is it up to 1,000 now or is it still at 500?) surely have billions of dollars of high-yield investments in several other lucrative entities, and I'm sure that they could turn to several other financiers, if it came down to it, to save them from sinking.

It is interesting to me, though how DeutscheBank has been the primary financier for Paramount. I wonder how many of the other majors (film/TV/recorded music/media corporations) are tied into DeutscheBank? Hmmmm. . . . .

I also wonder how much more the value of the US$ has sunk in the world market. Last I checked, the US$ doesn't really amount to squat when it comes to the world market- and with each passing day, its value continues plummeting downwards.

Call me a pessimist, but I just see alot of "challenging" (and that's putting it nicely) situations coming down the international and domestic pipe in the next several years, and maybe it might just be best if Bay adjusts his release date for TF:ROTF. I mean, Megan Fox mentioned that they've already had to do rewrites and reshoots (which in itself, is a customary thing in film-making, but under the situation currently, it may speak of something) - and add that to all the MASSIVE render and animation work that ILM and Digital Domain still have to do, as well as a possible SAG strike, (hell, there may be even more strikes in Hollywood, the way things are going), etc. . If I have to wait until 2010 for TF:ROTF, and if that means a better film, then I'm willing to wait. I doubt that whatever footage will be shown at SDCC will even be much of anything, considering the render factor. We'll see. :2c: :inquisiti 

18. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    If movies start to have smaller budgets then actors and effects houses will just have to charge less or not work at all. If all the jobs offer less then you'd just have to settle for it or not earn anything because no-one can afford you.

19. artiepants

artiepants Just over here punching Unicron.

News Credits:
    really, i totally thought they did contribute, as well as have some level of veto power. (i thought that was the whole realignment from a toy company to a IP/Brand company they went on about last year or the year before...)

20. shogun221

shogun221 timewaster extraordinaire

Ebay:
    To be honest, if a budget cut meant a more story-driven and less explosion-ridden experience, I would probably welcome it.