Will the movie characters replace their cartoon counterparts?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Joe Moore, May 19, 2006.

1. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Once the movie comes out, will you start to associate the characters, especially the human ones, with their movie incarnations more? Or will you still see the characters as their original cartoon selves? How do you think kids will associate the characters once the movie comes out?

This is something I've been curious on for some time now.

2. Shaun_C

Shaun_C The REAL One True fan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

Thinking from my perspective neither.Providing I watch the movie.To me those characters will be THOSE characters.I won't associate Spike circa 1984 with Spike circa 2007 and so forth.I watch every series on their own merits.So even if this movie is G1 inspired I won't be looking at it exclaiming "That's Optimus Prime"

With kids it might be different,since this'll be their first TF movie experience.They'll associate with the 2007 characters more

3. RHansen

RHansen Sir. Ranbotnic Veteran

News Credits:
    I think for most of the fandom will view them as a retelling of the original cartoon versions, but to people who see the movie first, and then see the original cartoon, it will be the other way around. Either way I think it will be an incredible amount of new opinions and views on the Transformers as a whole, it will be interesting seeing peoples ideas/views on the original characters.

4. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    In a word 'yes'

This is one of the reasons why I don't, like when books or previous media are made into movies. In the eyes of the general public the movies become the be all, end all of the series.
    For example: To most people a hobbit looks like a small human with big feet, but to others who have read the book may have a different idea of what they look like. Maybe more dwarf like.

If they do it right it should be ok, but I have a feeling that it will have a lot of fan boys jumping from buildingsā€¦

5. A_U_T_O_B_O_T

A_U_T_O_B_O_T G1 Fan

I'm not sure. If they create a series off of the movie it would be interesting. But by also doing that making everything complicated considering that they would have to find new VA's for almost each character, especially the humans.

I haven't been watching any of the newer shows like Energon and Cybertron. So I don't think it would bother me much.

6. butz

butz slippery when wet

Did the Tri-star Godzilla replace the Japanese Godzilla? For me, NO.

7. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    Good point, but for the most part, the general population sees that crappy Godzilla as the only Godzilla, because it is the only Godzilla that they know.

8. Wheels

Wheels Cammy's Boy Toy

Good counter point, but I liked both Godzillas anyhow. :D 

But to answer Joe's question;

No. G1 will always be G1 to me. And all the other shows are thier own characters, including the movie. Unless there was a direct connection with G1, such as BW. But even then they were thier own characters to.

Even the Classic TF's I'll be considering as charcters on thier own as well, and not updated G1 characters. Well, actually I'm still undecided on the Classics yet. But I never really liked G2, so I didn't really see it as an upgraded G1, like some fans.

Though I have to agree with those who said what the kids of today will associate with the movie first. It will be interesting indeed, once the movie has hit.

9. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    Is that really such a bad thing though? Our little toy fandom is nearly reaching the pinnacle that few before it have. The pinnacle being, not the movie itself, but a sequel thanks to the success of the first movie.

X-Men has reached that point. I can't really read the comics now, partly because Marvel makes it kind of tough, but also because the movies simply overshadow any previous comic and cartoon in my eyes.

Batman, same thing. When I think Batman, I think the first two movies. I even think of Batman Begins, and I was skeptical of that. It's entirely possible The Transformers will do the same thing to me.

10. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

I grew up with G1. I think I will always consider those versions of the characters as the deffinitive versions. Guess it will depend on how well written the movie is. The characterizations in the movie will have to be awesome, to get me to think of them ahead of the originals.

11. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    My thoughs exactly

12. Hiro Prime

Hiro Prime Cybertronian Guru Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think it would depend greatly on one's point of view. For example: If you were to ask anyone today about Star Wars, which would they tell you to watch first - Episodes 4-6 or Episodes 1-3?

13. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Hard to say. Obviously it depends a lot on the impact and/or box office of the movie, and any possible sequels.

Personally:
    Transformers(G1) Cartoon - the designs are iconic to me, and I doubt the movie designs will un-iconify them for me.

Batman - 1990s cartoon, not movie, comic, or earlier/later cartoon incarnations.

X-Men - never followed any version enough for one to be "the" version.

14. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It's no different than comics or the current Transformers cartoon. If it's your first introduction to any character (Batman, Supes, Optimus, whichever) it will undoubtedly be the one you cherish the most.

15. soundwave_uk

soundwave_uk New Member

In all decency (being a newbie and everything) i think it suffice to say that whilst MB may want to pay homage to the G1 and the fans, the studio will be looking to start a franchise for a new audience to grow up with.

If they do this then the film incarnations may replace the original characters in style and tone (and perhaps even look) and they may replace how the originals are remembered *

Either way, as fan boys there is a whole lot of lore for us to carry with us.

*see spidey 3, if eddie brock is involved (as practically confirmed) then we will be looking at the mainstream audience knowing nothing of how the character was originally written.

PS this forum rocks!

newbie out :cool: 

16. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    I really suppose it is a hit and miss thing. While my expectations for this move are high, I try not to get too crazy over it. If pulled off correctly I suppose this could be a new age for transformers. One that will put a Optimus Prime lunch box in every kids Megatron Back pack, much like it did for Spiderman.
    The good side, a long solid future for all things transformer. New toys, new games, new media and the list goes on.
    The bad side, a poor movie could tip the tight balance of what is in for kids and out for kids. The way that I see it is that the transformers were never the super popular toys that were really good and well received, then once the fad ends, so do the toys. **looks to the 8feet of Battle B-daman**. The line has been a constant success, so why try and disrupt that. with the movie.

I suppose we have been really spoiled in the last few years with all the new figs and such. I just don't want that to stop. :D 

17. Ktulu

Ktulu Whoosh TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I feel that most fans will probably still be partial to the original versions of all of the characters, though the film will have an effect on how most others see them and the property in general. Look at the change in feel in X-Men comics after the movie came out for example.

18. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    i'll regard rhe new casr same way ive been regarding other-continuity TFs i guess.

of course my fave is g1 (over bw and other lines, natch) but i love all incarnations of TF as they mostly share the same theme of epic war between good and evil as conducted by giant bots... that transform!

more than meets the eye, indeed.

19. Jack Cade

Jack Cade Member

It's going to depend on the film.

The new Godzilla hasn't replaced the old one in the popular imagination, because the film was terrible, and after a few months, no one really remembered it. The original Godzilla, on the other hand, is still referred to frequently.

You try making a reference to Godzilla attacking New York to any random person, and see if they don't correct you along the lines of 'Tokyo, you mean?'

Similarly, the Avengers movie has done nothing to change Mrs. Peel's image. She'll always be Diana Rigg, rather than Uma Thurman.

The X-Men and Batman films, on the other hand, are hits, which is why they've altered the popular image of the figure.

Then again, it does help that those franchises maintain the spirit of the original, making only cosmetic changes. Transformers is a 'reimagining', right? Name me one cinematic reimagining that's paid off.

20. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    I tell you what. When I hear "The Incredible Hulk," I think this, not this.

I expect the same with Transformers.