Will the movie be percieved as a message of sustainability?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by chocula78, Mar 31, 2007.

1. chocula78

chocula78 Satellite Systems Engr TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I was watching "An Inconvenient Truth" yesterday and today I watched "Happy Feet" with some friends. Obviously the former has a message to it about humanity taking on a way of life that is sustainable, but I was surprised that Happy Feet had one also.

(If you haven't seen "Happy Feet" go rent it, I was really surprised how much i enjoyed it. But back to my point...)

This movie is about a warring race of alien robots who have been fighting over dwindling sources of energy. Their war has destroyed their planet and now the war is brought to Earth; kind of sounds like this is where humanity is headed now too. I don't think that the producers or M. Bay intended to make this movie have a hidden metaphor of sustainable living, but will it be perceived as such?

"300" (awesome movie) was based on actual historical events, yet people were in an uproar that it was a metaphor for America taking on the big, bad persian empire (ridiculous!). Do you think this will this happen to the Transformers movie?

2. IACON

IACON "That's Vector Sigma?" TFW2005 Supporter

there were already rumors that the new Michael Bay movie touches ecoligical and enviormental issues.

3. Magelite

Magelite I make stupid look good

I think it will be a two-hour action fest and people looking for deeper meanings will be barking up the wrong tree.

4. BeastWars 4ever

BeastWars 4ever Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I just want a good movie. I honestly don't care if it has a message to it or not. I do want good character development and a good story, but it doesn't have to have a "save the earth" theme.

5. Inner-Demon

Inner-Demon Instrument of Destruction

Ebay:
    People will always look for messages and meanings when there isn't one, attempting to create some debate or parallel to the world we live in. Much like 300, which was written as a damn comic book near a decade ago, it's the same basic story, but somehow the director is relating it to events of today.

It's a bunch of bullshit for people who think movies are trying to attack the government and then people who think movies should be attacking the government. It's men and women looking for an argument.

I'll take my Transformer film served with pointless violence and explosions thank you very much.

6. chocula78

chocula78 Satellite Systems Engr TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Couldn't agree with you more. All the stuff about 300 just pissed me off, especially when Iran was claiming it to be propaganda. Whatever happened to going to a movie just to be entertained? It seems now people are always searching for deeper meanings behind films.

7. Rumble02

Rumble02 Radicon of Obliticons

nail on the head

8. Hobbes-timus Prime

Hobbes-timus Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Agree.

Also, in a movie about the South Pole, I wasn't at all surprised by a pro-environment message. I was more surprised by Happy Feet's less than subtle anti-religion message, and that there was no uproar about that.

*shrugs*

9. Poho

Poho That's MISTER Poho to you

News Credits:
    i agree. pretty much anything iran says is bullshit. people read way to much into things, looking for stuff that isnt there. and if you look hard enough, your head will make some shit up to fill the void.
    300 had no hidden message. it was pretty clear that movie was about violence and pwnage.
    i think that MAYBE the TF movie might mirror some stuff about how we're ruining our own planet...as in there might be a couple of lines, but there will be no "underlying message" about it.

10. Phy

Phy I want... ROOM SERVICE!!

News Credits:
    I dunno about the movie, but the G1 cartoon (and the comic? yes no?) had the exact same message, which I had believed was predicated by the first gas crisis a few years earlier. Nobody really seemed to latch on to that back then.

11. turk128

turk128 Well-Known Member

Couldn't put it any better.

EDIT: That said, I'd love to see them do a Southpark and poke fun at people in the sequel; pro TFs and TF haters and loonies (TF worshippers/Cons are our friends) causing big political riffs.