Will the lack of toys hurt Prime?

Discussion in 'Transformers Robots In Disguise / Prime Discussion' started by Ultimate Matt X, May 1, 2011.

1. Ultimate Matt X

Ultimate Matt X Well-Known Member

I've been thinking about this for awhile and what does everyone think about whether the lack of toys may hurt the Transformers Prime show or the toyline itself once it starts?

I know they're coming, but it seems like a missed opportunity to be running the show and there isn't any product tied in with it on the shelves. I always thought this didn't help the Animated toyline/show either.

I guess an argument could be made that it will help keep the show around longer too. Right now we have got one season with no toys, but say if three seasons worth of toys are made then maybe he'll get four seasons total instead of four. I'm just making the numbers up, but if the toyline does do well then maybe it is better to have a little bit of show before it runs out of steam.

I'm not sure either way, but I hope a decent amount of figures get released before season two starts. If for no other reason than if we get too far into the show I think a lot of characters that appear early on could be skipped in the toyline for more current characters.

What does everyone think?

2. Stryker055

Stryker055 Josh Boyfriend

Not really. If the Prime toys were to be released now, they would've been horribly sidelined by the TF3 figures, just like RTS and Generations have been. It's a much smarter move to release the toys at the end of this year, once the movie hype has died down a bit.

3. Ribieconvoy

Ribieconvoy It's pronounced "ribby"

News Credits:
    It won't hurt the show as in making people think "THERE ARE NO TOYZ SO I WILL NO WATCH DA SHOW." but it will certainly not help them gain viewers since the toys are there to help promote the show. I hated this when Animated happened, and I can't believe that they've put themselves in the same asinine position again. Not only do fans not get the toys they want, but Hasbro loses the sales from kids who go to the store looking for TF: Prime toys and the show doesn't get as many views as it could. That being said, TF: Prime is currently the Hub's highest rated show. But the Hub isn't exactly up there with Cartoon Network ratings-wise.

4. Ultimate Matt X

Good points from both of you. I get why they want to avoid the movie line as far as the toys go, but I agree that it doesn't help the show ratings. Though I also think it could also hurt the eventual sale of toys because by the time they're released the show has lost some of the luster of being new. I don't think it hurts with us collectors, but for kids I don't think it is a great position to be in. They'll be trying to sell toys that aren't from a show that is new and cool with the kids. Though since the Hub doesn't get huge ratings maybe that doesn't matter much.

5. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Basically this.

6. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    I don't foresee it harming the show. Though I imagine the gap between the ending of season 1 and the beginning of season 2 could have an affect on how the toyline sells.

There's a good chance I'll be a completist for the line, so there's at least one sell for everything Hasbro decides to put out for it, lol...

7. Blitz.

Blitz. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    it would not shock me if the toy release date is tied to the international air date maybe post movie this way production is relatively cheaper as they don't have to store wave 1 stuff for the EU.

8. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    The big difference between Prime and Animated that could potentially make all the difference is that the Prime toys are similar in style to the movie toys. Unlike Animated where the toys got delayed because Walmart wanted more Movie toys, and where Animated struggled because the demand was always for realistic styled toys. Prime's designs have that extra bit of realism compared to Animated. They have in other words learned from the greatest failing of Animated - not being enough like what Walmart wanted.

Because with a summer blockbuster on the horizon, Walmart will want realistic styled movie toys.

9. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    ^which is a shame, but understandable..I guess.

10. Ultimate Matt X

That's a good point and one reason why I hope they get Prime toys out at least with some overlap with the movie toys. Which seems likely to happen with the release rumors we've heard. I think the Prime toys will benefit from being seen as something that looks a lot like the movie toys or honestly from confused parents that may think they're movie toys if some are on the shelves at the same time as the movie figures.

11. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    I think it would have made more commercial sense to have the toys arrive before the show, but with all the plates Hasbro has spinning, I can understand the difficulty in getting the timing right.

Though there is one way in which the show experience will actually benefit from having the toys arrive late. No toy spoilers. Consider how much we end up finding out about the movies from leaked toys.

12. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I think maybe Paramount is the party that might have caused the timing problem. Bay wanted to take a year off after Revenge of the Fallen which would have given Transformers Prime a window to put out toys.

But with Dark of the Moon getting moved up to this year I can see why Hasbro would want to wait on the Transformers Prime toys until after the Dark of the Moon toy line is done or at least slowed to a trickle. With a new network to launch it really doesn't seem like Hasbro had a choice but to release the Transformers Prime series to gather attention for the new network.

I think maybe the Transformers Prime fate though might be better than Animated. No mess from Cartoon Network to deal with this time and perhaps people will be more open to change of looks now that the films will wrap up for a bit.

13. moreprimeland

moreprimeland Optimus told me to do it! Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Lots of good reasons have been posted and I agree, but I would like to add 1 more.. I would also think that Hasbro and Co. would like to be sure that a new series will have a following and ratings to warrant tooling up for yet another toy line. It's dollars and cents after all..they have to add to their bottom line, we just like to have toys for our favorite new Transformers series. Hopefully by the time the TFP toys are at retail the movie stuff will have died down a bit and the sales will be impressive enough to keep adding more characters to the line. :thumb 

14. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Fair comment, except Hasbro only planned for Prime to be represented in an assortment or two of Generations, and then expanded it into a full line later. I don't know about the timings, but given lead times, I think the decision to move Dark of the Moon up probably came before the decision to make a full Prime line. So really, Dark of the Moon didn't affect the plans so much as Hasbro deciding to go back and design more toys?

15. TFcollecterguy

TFcollecterguy Well-Known Member

It urks me in the exact same way too. But if you think about it right, it's not Hasbro's fault at all, it's actually the movie, and movie line's fault. They have greatly overshadowed animated, Generations, RTS, and now have delayed Prime. I think since this is the last TF movie Prime might be able to survive unlike Animated. At least I hope so.

16. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

This statement boogles my mind how could Hasbro not planned Prime as full toyline?

17. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'd say if anything's going to hurt the show, it's the fact that pulling in low ratings on a newbie network that few people get and even fewer know actually exists. I'd have said that if Hasbro are smart, they'll farm the show out to other networks once the toyline starts for a bit of crafty synergy, as that'll enable it to reach a much wider audience at a time that matters, as opposed to now, when only those actively seeking it out are seeing it.

18. dsprks75

dsprks75 Well-Known Member

Everyone has made valid and interesting points here, but I can't help to wonder... Is the fandom at large more interested in Prime toys or DOTM toys?

19. Ribieconvoy

Ribieconvoy It's pronounced "ribby"

News Credits:
    ^ I personally want Prime toys more. We've had three movies worth of movie toys.

20. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    yeah, I'm sure it was always intended as a full toyline. Though I suppose if the initial 5-part mini-series had been a disaster, they could probably have pulled the plug on the rest of the series and just released those few deluxes.

Releasing the whole preview wave separately before the mainline starts seems like it could be a bit of a gamble to me. If that was a deliberate strategy, I'd be curious of the logic behind it. If they get released in the middle of all the DOTM promotional hype, they might get a bit sidelined and overshadowed. I know they'll sell, but with the movie as competition, they might not do as well as they otherwise would. Stores will use those sales figures to decide how big an order to place for the full line. At this stage, they've already produced so many episodes, that they really need a strong start, because they're gonna have to sell a lot of toys.

that's a pretty good idea, though more thinking of it in terms of Transformers being a success, rather than the success of the Hub network. Anything that gives the show more exposure should help the toyline. Maybe they could hold onto the series, but get other TV networks to show the 5-parter as a movie.