Will the high prices for the Prime figures cause the line to be canceled?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by kaijuguy19, Aug 10, 2012.

1. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    You know I've been hearing about how the higher prices are starting to not have many people buy toys lately due to the cost or how they feel the figure's not worth it. So will this cause the Prime line to be canceled and perhaps hurt the show as a result?

What are your thoughts?

2. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    I don't think so. Stuff is still selling despite the higher prices. Well, when people can find something that's not Bumblebee or Optimus.

3. barrelks

barrelks Captain Funtastic

News Credits:
    Doubt it, but the trickle of product isn't helping. Grant it we don't know what Hasbro has planned (outside of Generations, Prime, and little sublines) for the next two years, but we have a couple years till the next movie, and they have to fill the shelves with something, and why not fill it with something that there is a show around. It has definitely curbed my interest in buying figures as frequently though.

4. Sideways77

Sideways77 oh shoogah

News Credits:
    No.

It'll probably make people not buy it in the future when it's 25 bucks a deluxe.

5. LCDR Blindside

LCDR Blindside Banned

News Credits:
    "People will probably stop driving when gas goes over a buck a gallon."

That, and your prediction is ludicrous.

6. wolfe

wolfe Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Pegs are empty around me. The line won't be cancelled.

7. dwong1207

dwong1207 Well-Known Member

not happening.

8. rxlthunder

rxlthunder Banned

News Credits:
    I hope so, it's about time that they learned that Prime was a bad idea. I mean come on now, who raises prices and has the indecency to at the very least include some kind of cool extra, like model kits which Amurica is really lacking.

9. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Doooooooooooooooooooooooooomed.

/toungeincheek

10. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I don't see it happening. The prices have gone up but we only get the characters a bit at the time from an already small cast so it's not like people have to pull out a large wad of cash to catch up on the releases.

11. TwilightNero

TwilightNero Maximal

Ebay:
    Aren't the same people complaining about prices the same people who complain about everything? I don't think it needs to be worried about. The "collector impact" is not as big as a lot of people seem to think.

12. Reaper Cloud

Reaper Cloud Dark Wrecker

News Credits:
    What I find funny is that two stores near me (one Wal-Mart, one Target) just reset the toy section...and what was there for Deluxe?

Target had about 8 Bumblebee's...and that's it. Wal-Mart had 4 Ratchet's and 1 Cliffjumper. Both locations did have some FOC Generations, just a couple Jazz and Prime.

The ONLY section that seemed well stocked was for Bot Shots.

So if the pegs are EMPTY, the price won't matter. Although if it keeps going up, it might push people to shop online (if they are the best price).

What I find funny, is how people say "The price to produce plastic goes up, and therefor the price for Transformers goes up." Really? So how come a large item like the Cyberverse vehicles (Driller or Star Hammer), which comes with a Legion figure, and has a light up feature (and can transform in a way) was CHEAPER to buy than one Deluxe figure?! Sure, it was on clearance, but that is a LOT of plastic there! One would think that it wouldn't be marked so low on clearance...unless Wal-Mart messed up, or got theirs for a very low price (with the 13 dollar markdown still giving them a profit of sorts).

I think it comes down to greed. Hasbro knows that it can raise the price on these figures (while shrinking them down), and they will sell.

13. LoserBroadside

LoserBroadside Your ship just came in.

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Um....no. Complaining about price hikes is a legitimate issue. I only have so much disposable income, and thus can only buy so many TFs. every time they raise their prices, that's one or more FEWER TFs I'm buying from them. I'm a collector, so I'm only buying TFs. The average parent is less likely to be brand loyal, and will eventually start buying cheaper toys for their kids. So they'll not only be buying fewer toys (assuming everyone is raising prices), but more of them WON'T be TFs.

Toys are a luxury. Hasbro can only raise prices so high before achieving a state of diminishing returns.

14. AnAutobot1985

AnAutobot1985 Well-Known Member

Doubt it. And many people in the US fail to realize how much cheaper they are here than many other countries. I will say however that I do find price raising shitty after having released the first line to cut back so drastically on use of plastic.

15. TwilightNero

TwilightNero Maximal

Ebay:
    I too have limited disposable income, and money burns holes in my pockets worse than bleach. lol Though I must admit that my assumption was too broad. My point was that there are some people who are only happy when they have something to complain about. not to mention that the collector market is very small compared to child market. But you do bring the valid point of about the parent perspective. But I don't see a few dollar mark up ~that~ much of an issue. It's not like they doubled in price.

16. Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname Pico, let's go up to Zuma

News Credits:
    Going by http://www.usinflationcalculator.com/:
    That is, the $10 BW Deluxe is roughly the same price as the $15 FoC Deluxe, so modern TFs aren't really that expensive.

If they keep jumping the price up then, yeah, maybe people will stop buying and cause it to be cancelled, but I see no reason whatsoever for that to happen anytime soon.

17. Snark

Snark Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So has kaijuguy turned from the white knight of Prime to the guy who accepts anything said thats less than positive about Prime as gospel truth?

18. Ribieconvoy

Ribieconvoy It's pronounced "ribby"

News Credits:
    It's Transformers. Unless everything starts going downhill at once, the brand will be fine. Toys are more expensive, but they also have all the other size classes, Kre-O, Rescue Bots, the Prime show, and the Rescue Bots show to market, as well as all the extra merchandise. Increasing the price of one size class by 3 dollars will not end the line. However, I do hope they start getting better engineered soon. The fact that some people have to pay 15 dollars for Airachnid makes me cringe.
    *realizes he hasn't bought Airachnid yet*
    DANGIT.

19. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    If price was the only factor, All TF lines would be cancelled except Bot Shots and Kre-O. ;) 

20. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    He wasn't a white knight of Prime, he was the White Knight of Arcee. And still is.