Will the fact that a majority of kids can't watch TF Prime hurt toy sales?

Discussion in 'Transformers Robots In Disguise / Prime Discussion' started by Kickback, Aug 11, 2011.

?

Will lack of viewership on TV hurt TF Prime toy sales?

1. Yes - kids won't develop attachments to characters they can't see on TV

39 vote(s)
    30.5%
  2. No - Transformers is name-brand now and kids will buy it just because it's Transformers

40 vote(s)
    31.3%
  3. Don't know - I don't have enough information to make a firm decision

49 vote(s)
    38.3%
  1. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    Was just having this conversation with a buddy of mine yesterday.

Fact of the matter is, a majority of households do not get Discovery Hub because most cable providers require you to pay an extra $10 to get it as a special package with some other channels that you'd never watch.

How is that going to translate to toy sales?

Those who detested Animated said the toys sold poorly because the show was horrible. That is obviously open to debate, but Cartoon Network is part of the "basic cable" package making it available to a bigger majority of households.

The toy sales for Animated can be argued at the late release schedule (season 2 was practically over by the time the toys hit retail) as opposed to "kids didn't like the show" ... a late toy-release can impact sales because the show is no longer fresh in the minds of the lowered attention span of children.

With Transformers Prime being on a "pay to watch" channel, the toys being released nearly at the end of the season (if not THE end), is that going to negatively impact toy sales?

Yes, no, don't know, and thoughts please.

2. Kaymac

Kaymac I'M REALLY FEELIN' IT!

I'm not sure. The toys are similar to the movie designs, so kids will recognize them, and hey, Generations sells despite not many kids watching G1 nowadays. Animated didn't sell because it's a really different aesthetic. Not a bad one, just different. From the weird spiky designs of the movies to the sleek look of Animated is a strange transition, and kids may not like that if they are used to the Movie.

3. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I think TFPrime has a better chance due to it's visual similarities with the movies. Kids will see Prime Optimus and instantly recognise it as Optimus due to the similarities with the movie version. With Animated, not only were there a bunch of new characters, but they didn't look a thing like what else was on pegs.

However this doesn't work with all the show's characters and of course with no more movies the chance of this even working is debatable.

I'm interested to see how toy sales for Prime will play out in other countries like Canada where Prime is broadcasted on basic cable.

EDIT: Or what Kaymac said.

4. Kaymac

Kaymac I'M REALLY FEELIN' IT!

As am I. I'll be watching the pegs and shelves here. One, because I am curious if stuff is selling, and two, because I want the toys. XD

5. Transformed

Transformed 神戸 Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think it`s a bigger problem for the brand not having toys on the shelf. I bought toys I thought were cool on the shelf, not on TV, though the TV played a role later on in life...just not in the beginning.

Transformers isn`t some new brand, so I think it`d do alright, and who knows, maybe children today have the same power or similar power to the children of yesterday. I managed to get my parents to purchase the Disney channel...I also got them to cancel it when I realized I couldn`t watch Disney movies.

6. Kostya

Kostya Destron

News Credits:
    I don't think it will make a big difference. They might not be particularly looking for them so their existence comes as a surprise but I think they'll buy them anyway just because they're Transformers.

7. eagc7

eagc7 TF Movies Fan/Supporter

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    i acutally dont know. the show doesnt air in my country at the moment. so i dunno if it will affect its sales here in guatemala

8. Oberoniss

Oberoniss DOESN'T-EXIST BABBU

News Credits:
    I imagine the toy designs will shriek at kids who don't have TFP "HOLY CRAP KIDS LOOK AT THIS YOU TOTALLY MISSED US LOLOLOOL". If anything, the toys might just up interest in the series.

9. AMG

AMG Old School

This is an interesting question. Never gave it much thought, but there very well could be an impact on sales because of the limited audience coupled with the lack of toys on the shelves for so long. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out.

10. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    I don't think it's going to effect the toy sales much. Transformers Prime is so close aesthetically to the movies that I believe the toys will sell.

11. Yoakem

Yoakem Well-Known Member

I dunno. Seems like enough of the adults are buying the toys.

12. Ribieconvoy

Ribieconvoy It's pronounced "ribby"

News Credits:
    Now I think Prime has a good chance due to being similar to the movies, I think the fact that Hub is so limited and so few people see the show WILL ruin the toyline, or atl least hurt it quite a bit. I find that, in my area, the movie toys that aren't based off characters from the movie (Terradive, Tomahawk, etc) seem to sell a LOT slower than the rest.

As long as the line survives long enough to give me the main cast I don't really care. :p 

13. Evil'Con

Evil'Con Genericon

News Credits:
    Well kids send parents to buy them toys.
    Optimus Prime and Bumblebee.
    Parents do not know how they look, because they were sleeping in the cinema,
    and they ask people who work in store.
    They do not know, so they ask us.Fans.
    Once, for New Year, shop was crowded, mother of some kid asked me for Optimus Prime.
    I give her RPM and said it is the best.
    There were tons of Jolts, Skids and Ice Cream truck twins.
    They bought most, but before that I have also bought all those.
    Animated went for litle longer, there were no Movie toys at store,
    so they just buy everything with the Transformers logo.
    There is also a Chinese mall where parents cheat kids and buy them for 6 times less money. But for Animated, it was first on CN. Rare, kids still do not know. Happy television ( Serbian for kids ), still nobody. Ultra television, 5 Bumblebees, and tons of other went for a week. So kids will always buy, but if the cartoon is on a highly watched channel, toys will dissapear.

14. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

depends really when they release them, if they release them before christmas along with the movie toys, i am sure they'll sell just fine!

how ever if they release them after christmas, it probably won't do as well as they'd hope.

15. DilaZirK

DilaZirK Is bullheaded.

News Credits:
    Hmm...interesting poll.

As a wee lad, I remember making a huge scene in one TRU outlet, begging for my parents to buy me this one Optimus Prime figure. Just that one time, they bought it for me. I was happy as happy can be.

It wasn't until many many years later that I realized that it wasn't even G1 Prime that I bought, but Powermaster Prime. I never watched Masterforce, G1 was all I was ever exposed to back then. But I cared not, it looked like Optimus Prime, and that was all that mattered.

So, I voted No, with the thinking that other kids might be like that too.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2011
  16. Yggdrasil

Yggdrasil Banned

News Credits:
    The toyline will not fail that's for sure since now Transformers are a big brand that a lot of people know thanks to the movies, so they wil buy them for thepure fact that it has TRANSFORMERS on it.

But I don't think the line will be nearly as big and proftable and popular like the movie line was. Kids NEED to see the characters in action in order to REALLY wanna get them.

I remember when I was a kid I got a Beast Wars Quickstike. It was a fun toy and I played with it but I didn't nearly like it as much as I liked some of the power ranger figures (which were on TV at the time and I was NUTS for it) nor was I demanding more BW toys like I couldn't get enought of the Rangers.

It was not until like 4-5 year ago that I finally saw Beast WArs and made me dig up some of the toys I bought at that time, and kick myself for not buying more when they were still in stores...

So yeah having a cartoon that a lot of kids can watch and like does wonders for the toy sales. Animated failed because of how late the toys themselved came in mix with a shit timeslot that kids couldn't watch.

On the plus side parent might confuse Optimus and Bee with the movie toys so we know at least that those two wil cell well.

17. Flashdisk

Flashdisk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    When is the series coming out anyway? If its already come out, I think it would hurt the sales. Both because there is no introduction to the series and lack of enticement. TF Prime could have served as a means to introduce audience to the Prime characters. If they're a fan of the movies then they'd probably go and look for the film versions of the characters which are probably available in the stores. Also there are characters in TF Prime not represented in the film, such as Arcee, Wheeljack and Bulkhead. And even for those that are, they probably look remarkably different. Even if they know of TF Prime, if they are unable to watch it, without some coaxing, they're probably not going to loosen their wallets. Especially with the current problems in the global economy. That's just the way I see it.

Hopefully its toys can survive without the free advertising that TF Prime could have provided.

18. bio9205

bio9205 Knocked Out

I don't know about you, but Prime is going on free-to-air TV here in Singapore in mid-August. Kids here would definitely be excited about the toys. (Well, I know I am!)

19. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Atleast not around here I woould be betting because in Brazil our stock is so poor that even the crappiest of the Fast Action Battles sell. Plus when the show eventually airs everybody will see it since all kid channels are basic cable.

20. Sprocket

Sprocket Problematic.

News Credits:
    Well yeah, but you're in Brazil: robot-fanboy capital of the world.