Will the 'Bots only speak in electronically-unfiltered English?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by unkle73, Dec 21, 2006.

1. unkle73

unkle73 Well-Known Member

I noticed that the Cullen voiceover addition version of the trailer was just Cullen's voice - no electronic filtering added.

The autobots voices need to go through cyber-vocal filtering. The Japanese Transformers cartoons never featured this, or the legendary transforming sound. Without them, it seems bland and pedestrian. The electronic sound makes them sound more like cybernetic aliens - plus is fkn cool!
    They're alien robots - they should SOUND like them - not humans in exo-suits!

I hope the cybertronians all speak in their own alien machine-language type dialect at the start of the movie, and slowly learn human speach patterns and languages over their initiation into human culture. Speaking english from the off, as in Stargate would complete crap. If they go for the inexplicably english-speaking 'bot characters, it'll undo all the hard work they've put into making them look and feel alien & otherworldly. Which is one of the very things that's been pitched to defend their new and obscure 'bot design decisions.

2. Sideways

Sideways Banned

i totally agree with what you're saying!

3. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Agreed. The Cullen voiceover for the teaser was just a last minute addition though. They'll consider the voice work carefully for the actual film.

4. Wreckie

Wreckie Holder of the Discomatrix

Ebay:
    Frankly I couldn't tell the difference between Cullen's voice in this trailer and how he sounded in the cartoons. Then again, I'm listening to it with my ancient laptop's rather pitiful inbuilt speakers. Everything sounds tinny and robotic through them anyway.

They're robots. They don't speak English as a first language. Their voices are mechanically reproduced. Given that they can fly through space, turn themselves into weaponry and vehicles and learn a new language virtually instantly, their technology is probably at the point where they can choose exactly how they sound. So why would they choose to sound alien?

5. Codimus Prime

Codimus Prime Missouri Toy Hunter

Sounded similar. Didn't notice any extra digital noise we're so accustomed to.

6. Tony_Bacala

Tony_Bacala Car Robots Professional Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    OK, this is really bugging me out. Ive seen this in a couple threads already.

Optimus Prime had little to NO voice filtering in the original cartoon.

There are several factors that may be contributing to people's minds playing tricks on them I think. One, the voices you are used to hearing are 20 years old. So, by default, they will have a wishy washy sound to them, even on digitially remastered tracks. They were recorded using 20 year old equipement, in an analog format, and stored on Tapes. For 20 years.

Second, Peter Cullen is now 20 years older. His voice has changed. He is still dead on most of the time, but it has a different resonance to it by default. This is apparent in the Toonami cartoon trailers as well. Close, but not exactly the same.

All audio is processed in some way before it is applied to a final cut of a video. So yes, sometimes it may be altered, bass lowered, etc. But overall, Prime in the cartoon was natural, unlike lets say Soundwave or Omega Supreme, or even Megatron.

Here are some examples of Prime cut right from the show.
    http://www.tfw2005.com/misc/prime_clips/Optimus_Autobots_TF_And_Roll_Out_(good).mp3
    http://www.tfw2005.com/misc/prime_clips/Optimus_Badly_Damaged.mp3
    http://www.tfw2005.com/misc/prime_clips/Optimus_Being_A_Hero_Memory.mp3
    http://www.tfw2005.com/misc/prime_clips/Optimus_Decepticons_Are_Gone.mp3
    http://www.tfw2005.com/misc/prime_clips/Optimus_Fire_The_Laser.mp3
    http://www.tfw2005.com/misc/prime_clips/Optimus_Forgotten_Spike_Live_Forever_Freedom.mp3
    http://www.tfw2005.com/misc/prime_clips/Optimus_Fraid_Not_Ironhide.mp3
    http://www.tfw2005.com/misc/prime_clips/Optimus_Megatron_You_And_Me_Help.mp3
    http://www.tfw2005.com/misc/prime_clips/Optimus_Transform_Not_You_Bumblebee.mp3
    http://www.tfw2005.com/misc/prime_clips/prime_leave_or_die.mp3

EDIT: Here is the Cullen clip from the movie trailer
    http://www.tfw2005.com/misc/prime_clips/Cullen_Movie_Freedom.mp3

Now, in Transformers The Movie (1986) version, I did notice that there was a bit of a flange on his, and all the bots voices. But Slight. Probably a result of the bigger budget.

So, that being said, I think they will adjust the voices in the movie, it wont be as crisp and clear as seen here. Probably bass him up. And probably even put robo filtering of sorts on it. But it will sound different even if raw like above.

I just don't want half the fandom going "He doesn't sound right, gotta be like the cartoons!" when in fact the cartoons have little processing at all.

I understand the need to bitch, but find something real to do it about!

Later.

7. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    From what Roberto Orci said, their voices will start out robotic and become little by little more human.

8. Emperor Mengde

Emperor Mengde Instrumentalist

Interesting...I thought it sounded a little off, but that's because I had watched the movie last and his voice definitely had more processing in that than in the original cartoon. I'm sure they'll be tweaking the voices up until the movie comes out, and even if Cullen's voice is not processed at all, it's not a big deal, he still sounds like Prime to me.

9. flamepanther

Some of us (probably a lot of us) watch the movie a lot more often than we watch any of the old cartoon (and who could blame us?) To me, at least, the 1986 movie represents G1 Transformers at its absolute best in story, voices, music, and animation, and I'm sure that many feel the same way. It should come as no surprise then, that that's the way some of us remember Prime best. Welker's Megatron was at his best in the movie as well.

10. WWMEGATRON

WWMEGATRON Well-Known Member

They will put the mechanical voice eventually ,but at the end of the day they(the autobots)have to speak in english if they want to communicate with the humans.

11. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Tony's right, Cullen didnt have his voice adjusted very much until the movie. After the movie, they electronically modified it so much that it sounded like crap. it's painful to listen to it in rebirth.

12. flamepanther

Everything is painful in Rebirth.

13. Blunticon

Blunticon The Oddjob

I think they will adjust the voices. They are making a movie, they got it under control. We must trust thse people.

14. betetta

betetta guitar face

please... not THAT argument again, or someone will try to use it again to justify mass/size shifting and to complain why isn't any in the movie, etc. :horse: 

they should use robotic effects for the voices of the TFs because it sounds cool, period :p 

15. unkle73

Er... who's "bitching"?

16. unkle73

Yeah, sure thing. That's a given.
    My point is, as they're aliens - they should start off speaking an alien language, and as they process all our language information (probably over a couple of minutes), then successfully communicate in English.

Also, as they're names are all earth-referenced - "Prime", "Bumblebee", "Starscream", "Ratchet" etc. (as the original toy/character creators are only mere earthly humans), they should mention that these names are rough approximations of they're real Cybertronian names.

As they've been so careful to design them all to look alien, and obviously gone through the whole process of back-writing the story right back from how Cybertron was created and life there first came about, and to how they've all evolved to what they are now, it would be a grand oversight to overlook something as simple as this.

17. tkdmatthew

tkdmatthew Member

patience

i work in TV and use computer effects, cg modeling and such so i kinda know hos producing things go, specialy involving heavy effects. i think what people have to realize is that there are still 7 months untill the movie comes out. the movie is probably no where close to being the finished product. im guessing that none of the sounds in the trailer are going to actually be used. sound and audio are some of the last things to be added to a project. Some of the trailer sounds might be close, and for sure they will add a reverb to the transformer voices, to give it the sound we all expect to hear from cullen. so please have patience and rember that this was a teaser, and there is a TON more CG work to do even on the shots we have seen and probably ALL of the audio work still to be done.

18. funkatron101

funkatron101 TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    That statement is true and funny on a few different levels.

19. Wreckie

Wreckie Holder of the Discomatrix

Ebay:
    That is the single, most effective argument against ever bringing it up again. I yield, sir.

20. DaraRex2.0

DaraRex2.0 I'd totally eat the leaf

I think if Welkin getz to do Megs he would be able to do his own alien robot mechanism type voice. It'd be cool if he did, everyone would be alien voiced and here's the leader of Decepticons in an odd accent from his native home land

HMMM. Perhaps he's spent too much time in cold storage listening to humans speak over him

"Today we have Welkin playing Blend-o! The Decepticons own word processor for making those scrumptous human snacks they are so fond of!"

*Appluase*

^^^Okay, now that was just weird ^^^