Will the Botcon 2007 set continue to decrease in value?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Optimist_Prime, Jan 18, 2011.

?

What will the future hold for the Botcon '07 set's value?

1. The set will continue a very slown, but steady decrease in value.

24 vote(s)
    42.9%
  2. The set's value has plateaued for the foreseeable future

23 vote(s)
    41.1%
  3. The set's value will actually increase in the near future

5 vote(s)
    8.9%
  4. Other theroy? If you think the sets value will not do one of these 3 give me your own idea.

4 vote(s)
    7.1%
  1. Optimist_Prime

Optimist_Prime The Original Optimist!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That weekend in Rhode Island I talked to a couple people who had sold there entire set on eBay for over $7000. Fast forward two years and the entire was bringing in about a grand ($1000) . We quantum leap to today, about 3 and half years after Botcon '07, and the set is making anywhere from $700 - $1000 ( Depending on whether or not all souvenir packs, and attendee exclusive are included. ) .

I'd like to know what you guys think. Will the '07 continue a slow but steady decrease in value, the set will level off where it is now and retain that value for the distant future, or is there a chance the set will actually increase in value. Please let me know what your take is...

Last edited: Jan 20, 2011
  2. tony77tony77

tony77tony77 Well-Known Member

I think its because Hasbro are releasing the other seekers now. I think it will stay around $500-$1000 price rang..

3. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    I could only speak with my experience with my SW toys, and I was going to start a new thread on this.

However, it is starting to worry me that Hasbro is doing all of these rereleases of Classics Figures. That is what killed the SW line. Back in 96 my POTF set, which I have to this day in my basement, was worth 4K. Now a days, I could barely get $150 for it.

I have collected for long enough to know one thing. If you are doing this for the money, strike while the iron is hot. Eventually, your set will decrease.

4. Deceptigtar

Deceptigtar Sworn Decepticon Assassin

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    if ppl collect for money, good luck. things are a lot different today with reissues and eventual release of said botcon figures. though some are different and such, why pay the premium price unless you want said botcon figure.

unless you are investing in G1 that is where some money still is. there is some current stuff out there today that is rare and can pull some change but it can all change in a heart beat.

5. videriant

videriant Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    When was the Botcon 07 set ever worth $7k? How many sold for that price? Seeker mania drove up the price of the GOD set a lot and the Takara/Hasbro releases killed a lot of that but $7k?

EDIT: Ah, opening weekend. That was just one or two crazy fools. In general the set has always hovered around the $1-2k range it hasn't really moved that much.

6. dragon516

dragon516 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    To make matters worse, whenever a botcon figure gets hot, the knockoffs start showing up. Look at the clear blue mirage that ran for 200-300 for the longest time. The knock off shows up and price went straight down. Some purist would still go pay the big bucks for it, but who is going to pay 200 bucks for Botcon Thundercracker when they can pay 25 for a Henkei KO Thundercracker. My real Henkei TC won't get touch by anybody if I list it at 100. People were selling that for 150 before the KO hit....

7. dragon516

dragon516 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think he meant $700....

8. Optimist_Prime

Optimist_Prime The Original Optimist!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It was only that weekend I talked with a couple different folks who said they sold their extra set for a little over $7K. After the weekend of Botcon '07 it pretty much dropped to $5K. Your right though, it was seeker mania that drove those prices straight through the roof.

I wish I meant $700. It in fact was seven-thousand. It sounds like videriant and I may have talked to the same few crazy fools :)  .

Last edited: Jan 18, 2011
  9. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    if you are refering to the potf2 set then that has never been worth 4k.

If it is the original potf then that will need to be checked with loose vs mosc and if you have it loose the condition of the figures.

The poft2 figures have never even complete, been worth 4K. ( excluding sickening Boba Fett variations but only Fett freaks will pay those dollars for it.

POTF2 will not do anything in value atleast not these comming 30 years.

10. transtrekkie

transtrekkie On the level.

I think it'll probably hold at where it's at. The mass release of some of the figures now puts it's value at the average high end for a Botcon set. I'd still like to get my hands on a copy of Thrust so that I can mold those wings.

11. nemisispringer

nemisispringer Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well some of the figures god like status has been reduced a bit e.g. clear mirage, the seekers, huffer and springer. There are still plenty of unique characters in the set dreadwing, bugbite, alpha trion, weirdwolf so I think its still gonna retain its value as it is now for quite a while

12. Trailbreaker77

Trailbreaker77 Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Really it does not matter to me in the least when Thundercracker does get it's US release I will be putting my set away finally. I never planned on selling mine regardless of it's value.

13. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout SANTARN IS COMING AGAIN TFW2005 Supporter

It might, depends on the buyer I guess. For those who want to complete their seeker lineups, the value of the 07 set obviously has gone donw since Generations has provided decent alternatives of the Henkei toolings (or in TC's case, just a general release). The exception would have to be made for Thrust, whose wing-turbines don't get pegged all over the place and the fans can be seen from both top and bottom, so for those who like that style of Thrust fans, they'll still need to Botcon version.

But there's also Dreadwing (or the other one, I keep getting them mixed up) and the pretty cool Bug Bite in that set, both of whom do NOT have general release substitutes, so the price will remain around the mid-tripple digits with the Seekers included. Considering the price markup expected for exclusives, the going price of maybe $700 is somewhat reasonable.

14. tony77tony77

tony77tony77 Well-Known Member

collect for the love of it and NOT for the value. If you want to collect something for "value" you can start collecting Sideshow and Hot Toys stuff!!!

15. sunlink

sunlink Be Transformed TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Everything has a trend. If you collect to resell then you have to follow the trends.

IMO with all the KOs coming out nothing released over the past decade (and in the future) will be that cash valuable.

16. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    its my personal belief the set will remain at its current price level to slightly lower due to most of the causal demand for it being gutted by the Hasbro retail release of versions of the seekers in it. There will always be demand by those who want it as its a bot con set but its not likely enough to push the prices back up.

17. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    Since the more sought-after characters have been mass released I can see it's value going down a bit.

I really don't care though, I love having the box set even if it's not as controversial and sought after anymore. Dirge and Thrust went back to the safety of the box as soon as I got the Generations versions and Thundercracker will do the same. They'll still retain SOME value since they're convention exclusives I'm sure.

18. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    In a couple of years from now the Generations Seekers will be worth a pretty penny so of course the set will eventually go back up in value.

19. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    The set will never be at a "low" price; it's too collectable and too many people want it. I can see the price dropping a little, but I don't ever expect it to drop too much.

20. videriant

videriant Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    How come everytime there's a "what is the value of this" thread someone always assumes the OP is looking to sell. Maybe the OP is trying to decide if he should buy the set when Generations Thundercracker comes out or wait a year. If I was looking to buy this set I'd do it right when Thundercracker comes out. Thundercracker's value will take a hit but the value of the others in the set will slowly creep up. It will also depend on what deco Hasbro chooses. Thundercracker took a hit before Henkei came out but crept back up after the QC issues. Thrust took a hit before Henkei and Hasbro came out but crept back up after people decided they preferred the Botcon wings.