Will Takara throw their hat into the ring?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by ARTIMUS ONE, Jul 4, 2007.

1. ARTIMUS ONE

ARTIMUS ONE Investigations Dept.

I just got back from the movie and right away, I was thinking...Its time to get some of the toys now. But you see, I really have a problem. I dont like Hasbro's all plastic toys....though they are affordable, they still have a cheap feel to them and I certainly dont mind paying more for better quality...especially for Barricade and Bumblebee since those were my favorite in the whole movie.

My question is, will Takara Tomy make better quality movie moulds with that collector's feel to it?

2. butz

butz slippery when wet

Doubt they'll have any diecst in them, if thats what you're getting at.

3. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Not as of yet. The current Takara releases have had only minor changes (Bumblebee has clear windows), the rest are just US edtions with a sticker and different insert. I think the only different packaging is on the FABs.

4. Knightdramon

Knightdramon Hasbro LIES to the US

News Credits:
    TakaraTomy thinks of transformers as a kiddie merchandise, so the only effort they made to do something productive with the movie line was the different packaging of the FABS.

I highly doubt that they'll continue the movie line, seeing as the latest leader brawl, the decepticon pick up truck and the newest real gears are missing from their product listings.

5. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have both the Hasbro and Takara version of Bumblebee and besides the clear windows, I find the paint finish on the TakaraTomy '74 Bee better - IMO.

6. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    I doubt it. But I wouldn't be surprised if they put out Ultimate Bumblebee with a tiny figurine of Mikaela posed so that you can see her panties.

7. cutback4197

cutback4197 all roads lead to shame

Ebay:
    I would just like to see Leader Megatron in silver instead of the colors used here.

8. Matrix Soul

Matrix Soul Skull 4 reporting in!

News Credits:
    I'd be all over Masterpiece Movie Prime :drools:

9. ARTIMUS ONE

ARTIMUS ONE Investigations Dept.

You got it friend. Diecast, less kibble, and better pose ability which is something that the movie toys need. They just look too cool to be limited to plastic only.

10. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    So would I. I love the leader-class figure, but it doesnt transform anything like the on-screen version, and it really doesnt look a whole lot like it either.

as for takara's versions, they dropped the ball big time with bumblebee. yes, his car mode has clear windows, but that also gave him clear blue legs. and of course, the REALLY stupid thing was that with the clear blue plastic, that gave him clear blue plastic for his eyes, and restored the light piping feature. well, it WOULD have if they didnt paint every bit of the clear blue plastic eyepiece. yellow paint covers the back, and his eyes are painted blue. WTF. seriously.

11. Emperor Mengde

Emperor Mengde Instrumentalist

You know, I've never understood the love of diecast. Sure, it's great to use as reinforcement, or for joints that would be too fragile if plastic, but diecast for the sake of diecast I've never been a big fan of. It makes toys heavier, often making them harder to balance and making joints wear out quicker, and paint likes to chip off of diecast. I understand it does give a toy a more collector's item feel, but I'd rather just keep them with as much plastic as possible.

Anyway, I would like to see some more complicated toys that are more accurate to their movie counterparts, as completely unlikely as that is. I do think that it is not completely out of the question for Takara to do some other version of at least one of the movie characters (likely Prime). Perhaps some manner of MP at some point (unlikely), or some Hybrid style figure I don't know. I think it would all depend on how well the movie does over there, as I don't think TakaraTomy could resist a chance to cash in.

12. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, I agree with you...putting diecast just for its sake is pointless.

13. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I hear in the new Japanese TF book, there're interviews of Takara designers regarding the movie toys. I think they had even helped deciding the character designs (apparently the first concept pictures they received from Dreamworks were impossible to make into toys), so after all the trouble I don't know if they make new moulds for a smaller market.
    Wouldn't mind better looking Ultimate 'Bee myself, though...

14. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    i'd buy that.

15. TCracker

TCracker おもちゃは今とても暑いです

News Credits:
    Count me in:D 

16. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    that'd be the ONLY way I'd buy Ultimate BB

17. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    So what you're actually asking is "will Takara completely re-engineer the movie toys?"
    I highly doubt it.