Will smoking ruin your figures or packages?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Optimus Layne, May 9, 2008.

1. Optimus Layne

Optimus Layne Autobot Commander

i was just wondering if cigarette smoke would mis color or damage figures or boxes. the only reason i ask is because my gf smokes ( and she usually does it outside ) and yesterday i got home and her and her two friends that were there had smoked so much the living room, bedroom and the room where i keep my tf collection were all filled with smoke. shortly there after one of the fire alarms went off with all the smoke, it took close to an hour with open windows and a fan to vent it all out. and i was just wondering if it would mis color or damage anything

2. alex_kingdom

alex_kingdom Well-Known Member

Simple answer is yes, prolonged exposure to cigarette smoke will discolour pretty much anything especially plastic (it is most visable on white plastic as you might imagine). You should be OK with the occational lapse but I'd recommmend not alowing you GF (or anyone) to smoke around them, or move them out of harms way.

Yours AK

3. j.a.f.o.

j.a.f.o. Just Looking, Not Buying

I would assume that over a long period of time, a constant supply of smoke will have some adverse effect.

Oh and your girlfriend sounds like quite the catch.

4. Optimus Layne

im sure she does smoke alot when im not around it's just i got off work early yesterday and yes what can i say she isn't the sharpest tool in the shed she's the type that would blame misspelled words on her pencil

5. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    I personalyy would not allow smoking indoors, even if I dident colelct TFs, it destroys so much and the smell never goes away.

6. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I guess if it's only that one time, hopefully no harm done. As been said, you might want to ask her not to smoke where your figures are kept :) 

7. Cyber_Tronian

Cyber_Tronian Well-Known Member

LMAO @ Heromus Prime. Shed better at least be good in bed.

8. Optimus Layne

lol if you asked her that tronian she'd prolly reply i can fit inside the bed silly or somethign like that

9. transfan_seek

transfan_seek Well-Known Member

maybe consider some form of protection for the room with your tf's?
    i have soundproofed my collection room ( i do some recording in there)
    it aint airtight but it keeps most things out

10. Optimus Layne

i know but im sure she does it inside while im at work and not around because when im there she goes outside because i can't stand to smell it and the room where my figures are is like a den room with no door to close

11. Cyber_Tronian

LOL I would have hoped that she would at least "get it". At any rate sounds like it is time to drop her. Wow that would really piss me off, especially since I am anal about my MOC stuff.

Since were on the topic of smoking, if we all agree about the long term effects it has on your collectibles, imagine how it looks inside of your lungs. Those people that say second hand smoke does not do anything to your lungs are full of SH*T.

12. Paladine

Paladine Well-Known Member

Yes, smoke will damage toys. I just bought a G1 Ultra Magnus reissue from a guy on eBay, and of course he made no mention that the toy had existed in a smoke-filled house. From now on I will always ask that question on any auction I bid.

Anyhow, I spent a great deal of time trying to 'remove' the smoke taint, mostly unsuccessfully. I cleaned the plastic with cleaner. It helped to remove the brown marks, but you can still see brown in the areas where two plastic pieces meet. I then used rubbing alcohol to further clean the plastic and stickers. The stench is horrendous. I placed the toy next to a high powered fan for three days straight, and it seemed to help remove the smell. Then I flipped the toy to the other side for another three days. It smelled OK, but then the following day the smell had returned. I don't even put cars in the trailer because the smell permeates from Magnus onto the cars.

I'm not certain if Febreeze is safe for plastics, but I think my next step might be a Febreeze bath.

13. Optimus Layne

yeah if you keep smoking you'll end up sounding like unicron in the 80's movie :lolol ........proceed on your way to oblivion

14. Cyber_Tronian

LMAO now that is hilarious.

I remember after watching some interviews with the voice actors, they said that Orson Wells had some health issues. I wonder if smoking did have a part to play in that?

When I met my wife she smoked. She quit immediately after she got pregnant. I guess me asking her not to smoke was not good enough :)  I am not suggesting you do this though to solve your problem LOL!

15. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    If you value your relationship, just put your toys away then. Is it OK for you that she smokes in your place if not for the toys? Not just them, but the whole place will smell eventually no matter how well ventilated the house is.

Hope everything will turn out smelling good for you and your toys. Good luck.
    (I quit smoking after almost 18 years, yay me.)

16. Optimus Layne

i did ask her but she blames stress, work and makes other excuses to smoke....maybe i outta put some of those exploding tips in her cigarettes :ev: 

17. Cyber_Tronian

Hehe for some reason this bring me to remember a great scene from Spaceballs where Mel Brooks says to the blonde twins... "Chew your gum".

18. Optimus Layne

why should i put my "toys" away how bout she puts her death sticks away??? :duel yeah it's ok for her to smoke but we agreed it'lll be outside not because of the "toys" but because it stains the walls and sticks to the couch and chairs and fabrics and is hard to remove id rather pick up the cat and smell it then smell her cig. smoke

19. Cyber_Tronian

You go Heromus put your foot down. Time for you both to meet in the middle, instead of giving in to whatever she wants. Once you do that, your balls are no longer your own.

20. Optimus Layne

or i could resort to this

[​IMG]