Will ROTF make a $billion$ dollars??

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by optimusdestruction, Apr 10, 2009.

1. optimusdestruction

optimusdestruction THIS IS SPARTA!!!!

News Credits:
    The first movie made around $750,000,000 world wide. With the old fandom and the "new" fandom from the first movie I believe that ROTF could easily hit a billion dollars. If that's the case Mr Bay may not get the year off he has said stated he is taking. Could this be the biggest movie of all time?

2. payton34

payton34 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If "The Dark Knight" couldn't surpass "Titanic", there's no way in hell that ROTF will.

Everybody concentrates on the opening weekend grosses (and that is important), but the real signs of whether a movie has "legs" (or staying power) is the 2nd weekend grosses. A lot of people avoid going during the opening weekend because of the crowds, and wait to hear word-of-mouth to see if they'll bother going the next weekend. Word-of-mouth can make or break a picture (just look at Watchmen, big opening weekend and a huge dropoff the next weekend).

To be perfectly honest, the hardcore fans (us) will probably love it, but I think there might be a little too much going on for the casual fan so I'm anticipating a huge (possibly record-setting) opening weekend and a big dropoff during the next few weeks.

3. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Extremely unlikely. Borderline impossible.

4. Sokar

Sokar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    with the economy the way it is I wouldn't jump to the conclusions that it will make 250 million dollars more than the previous one did necessarily. I'd love to see it happen, movies might not be as high on the priority list as they were in 2007

5. optimusdestruction

News Credits:
    Well,,,,,,you do have to factor in all "merchandise" as they did for Titanic. It wasn't just tickets sales that were calculated there. As a "FRANCHISE" ROTF should very well hit a billion with the movie, toys, clothes etc etc. They factored all revenue for Titanic, with the toy line which will be huge in it's self they can hit it. Just sayin.

6. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    You also have to keep in mind those who went to see the first movie and didn't like it. So you have to factor out those people this time.

7. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    I hope not. Bay's ego is big enough as it is.

8. DieMaus

DieMaus is blawesome

News Credits:
    Huh? Titanic's record-setting $1.8 billion gross is based upon box office receipts only. What other merchandise are you talking about? I certainly don't remember any Titanic having an associated clothing or toyline... :confused: 

9. Shockscream

Shockscream Chairman of Nerd Day

News Credits:
    It's possible that RotF can make $1billion, but I wouldn't bet on it. When you factor in the additional sales from toys, DVDs, etc, then it may just hit the target. However, it doesn't matter. The sales will be sufficient for Paramount to move ahead with TF3 by virtue of the fact that they're already moving ahead with it.

10. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    *holds pinkey up to mouth* One hundred BILLION dollars!

But, in all seriousness, no, it probably won't.

11. PrimePower04

PrimePower04 I got the touch!

but also factor in the people who did like it but didint see it in theaters but will see ROTF....like people who watched it on DVD or HBO.....but it more than likely will not make 1 billion, I just hope it hits 320 million in the U.S. which i think it will

12. krade

krade Well-Known Member

they were the fans who like the first and will go see the second,the fan who don't like the first but will give a chance for the second anyway,they're is the new fans who never really know transformers before the movie and don't know the mythology of it,most of them love the movie.

great marketing ,great toys and a great new trailer to be release will rise the hype for this movie.

i say yes,it will hit the billion mark!

13. optimusdestruction

News Credits:
    C'mon,,it was Titanic. The VHS tape sold freakin millions, the soundtrack!!! Do you know how many copies of that soundtrack were sold? Yikes. The DVD,,,,once it was out it sold millions. James Cameron did the "return to Titanic" documentory. There were alot more involved than just tickets. So my point was with the toys, blu ray, dvd, posters, etc etc it could easily happen.

14. darthrage

darthrage Leader Class

News Credits:
    He's talking about 1 billion dollars
    Titanic made 1.8 billion dollars

Of course it won't surpass Titanic or Dark Knight, for that matter. But he's not talking about surpassing Titanic cuz nothing will.

So Transformers made $700+ million worldwide. ROTF will definitely surpass the original. But we don't know by how much.

People who did not watch the first movie in the theaters will be flocking to the theaters for the sequel. Add on the people who saw the first in the theater and you're definitely gonna get a giant number but who knows if it will make a billion.

My guess is that it will make ONE MEE-LEE-YUN DOLL-ERS!!!

15. Eric

Eric Per sempre marciamo.

News Credits:
    I doubt it.

16. Optimus1986

Optimus1986 TMNT & Hulk Fanatic

Typically, sequels make less than the originals. Dark Knight was an exception to that, though. If it makes more money than the first film, I'll be surprised. Even Empire Strikes Back paled in comparison to A New Hope.

17. Dotten

Dotten Member

Nah, sequels often make more then the original. Especially sequels to blockbusters (X-Men, Spider-Man, Fantastic Four etc). Another positive thing for the movie is the downside in the economy. People actually go more often to the theater and cinema when the economy isn't booming. And so far this year people has gone a lot more to the cinema (up 9% if I remember correctly, but take that with a grain of salt).

I doubt ROTF will make much more though. It doesn't have the hype of TDK and it really needs to be great to have good legs. If WOM is extraordinary, then yes it is possible. But I think one should be happy if it does the same numbers as the first one :) 

18. BDbots72

BDbots72 Well-Known Member

Actually it made 708 million. But its definetly not going reach a billion. I imagine somewhere between 790-850 million. Likely a boost domestically to 350-370million. The over 400 million abroad.

19. BDbots72

BDbots72 Well-Known Member

True, but in those instances it was films that did not up to their hype that saw a drop in the sequel. Transformers however, was a pleasant suprise, it originally was not expected to do great. The box office originally predicted under 500 million U.S for the first one. And and with people flocking to the theatress simply for excapism... transformers definetly caters to this population, so expect to see an increase.

I have a very keen knowledge on booffice trends and information.

20. TFfan08

TFfan08 Vigilante

News Credits:
    Almost 900 million worldwide is enough.