Will Rodimus finally grow into a real leader in MTME?

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Maniaxe, Jul 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maniaxe

Maniaxe Well-Known Member

For a long time now, one of the things I've really wanted to see is a writer actually try to make Rodimus grow as a character and into a real leader. It seems like whenever he's put in this position in a comic, it's just so the writer can pull the old "incompetent leader in the face of the ever perfect, all merciful, bright shiny, and clean smelling Optimus" card. A plot tactic I've started to grow sick of. This is a character who could "potentially" be a great character, but it seems like he constantly ends up in the hands of Geewuns, or someone who wants to punish him for "killing" Optimus (which is a bullshit idea in and of itself).

I'm really hoping that I will see Roberts do this in MTME. I do think that some kind of tragedy could set him on the road to this. If we think about the ads which ran before the comic, it said Ultra Magnus would not make it out of this series. Considering their relationship, this could be the tragedy that sets him on the right path finally. Though I hate the idea of seeing Magnus die, this is James Roberts after all, and I doubt he'd turn away from this.

2. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    I think James Roberts has a firm idea of how to handle Hot Rod. For one, he's already far less the annoying ass that Costa wrote him, and he's already portrayed him as being an ingenuitive, albeit inexperienced leader. I presume he's also set on trying to develop the character, as the set up of Death of Optimus Prime has now allowed Hot Rod the freedom to operate without the shadow of Prime hanging over him. I don't think it's possible though that he'll outshine Optimus, Hasbro just won't allow something like that to happen, it's just the nature of their marketing strategy. Can he develop into a far more beloved character? That's another thing.

As for Ultra Magnus dying, where did you get that idea? I've never seen that ad you speak of.

3. Maniaxe

I'm pretty sure it was one of the teaser ads that IDW spread around the internet. It said something about him not making it.

Also, I'm not asking for Roddy to outshine Optimus (as you said, Hasbro will never allow it), but I do want to see him grow and become an actual good leader, instead of a convenient target for hatred, both from fans, and from writers trying to appeal to those fans.

4. Stryker055

Stryker055 Josh Boyfriend

Chris Ryall's blog. It just says he "won't make it", which could really mean just about anything.

Roberts is a very good writer, and he's handling Hot Rod/Rodimus very well. I have little doubt Roddy will get some good development throughout the series, just like everyone else. He's already gotten more character in these six issues than he has the entirety of Costa's run (though "Heart Like A Wheel" was probably his best).

I think by the end of this series we might even have a Rodimus Prime that everyone actually likes.

5. HeroicC300

HeroicC300 Chats with Artists

News Credits:
    I think Rodimus will mature into a leader, but it'll take some doing.

Plus, as shown, he has other do the things he can't and tries to keep things sane.

Though with
    Rung dead
    , Whirl, and some character's odious habits, that may be easier said than done.

6. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    Ah I missed that one. Interesting.

Yeah I believe Roberts is a very good writer. I actually think he's gotten more character development than he has since G1 (which wasn't a lot).

7. DJW107PRIME

DJW107PRIME Autobot Hero TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I think Hot Rod was comming along nicely before Costa like his spotlight were reasons for his actions were displayed, and why he always tried to Hotdog it alone.

8. ABH1979

ABH1979 Anonymous Bucket Head Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

Twitter:
    Pinterest:
    If it's Roberts' plan to have Rodimus grow into a good leader, then great, but if not, I'm good with that too. Roberts isn't afraid to show that his these characters have flaws, in fact, that's what makes them so interesting. We've already seen Rodimus make some mistakes, and I'm sure he'll make some more, but yeah, maybe all these events will finally shape him into something greater than he is right now.

Comics are an on-going narrative with many different writers, so even if Roddy does become a "real leader," some other writer will take him back to "Hot Rod" and the status quo.

9. Greyley

Greyley Well-Known Member

I would also love to see Rodimus grow into a truly good leader for once. MTMTE is the perfect setup for it, though he isn't doing all that great so far. I'm hoping he'll learn from his mistakes and become a trustworthy leader as the series progresses.

That gets old. I was particularly annoyed by his Hall of Fame video...the last scene was the part from the animated movie where he "kills" Optimus. It was supposed to be a tribute video based on the fact that he's popular and loved enough to be nominated for a fan's choice award, but they just had to stick that in, didn't they? :rolleyes2 

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's just a figure of speech, probably referring to his inflexible personality. I doubt James would give away death spoilers that easily.

Lol @ "clean smelling". :lol  Now I'm picturing Optimus in that Old Spice ad. "Look at your leader, now back at me..."

Last edited: Jul 3, 2012
  10. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    Rodimus is in safe hands as long as Roberts holds him. He's deffinately becoming his own man, and is a good leader. He's not a perfect leader though, which is not the same as an imperfect character. I do feel his growth and evolution into a great leader, Optimus-level or not, will be satisfying.

11. Maniaxe

When I think about this a little more, it occurs to me that the events of issue 6, maybe one of the things that moves Roddy more in this direction. It was only a few issues ago that he swore that no one would die on his watch. The chances of Rodimus not being affected by issue 6's events is small. Oh sure, there's been other deaths in this series, but those where outside of his control, so he had little reason to feel affected other than general sadness for the tragedy of them, this was a death that was a direct result of his orders.

12. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    Yeah, Rodimus is not going to take Rung, or anyone else's death from this point on, lightly.

13. Wadeledge

Wadeledge Wrecker

I don't know if this has been brought up on any other thread, but do we know what he's carving on his desk towards the end of #6?

14. UltraMagnus3786

UltraMagnus3786 That's what it is

I personally DON'T want to see Hot Rod become a Rodimus, although I would like to see some character development. To me, he's always gotta be a little flawed, a little imperfect as Split Lip said above. Leave perfection to G1 Optimus... everyone else has to be an imperfect 2nd, 3rd, etc.

15. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    That's one thing I like about this comic: My favourite character seems to finally get the treatment he deserves!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.