Will remolds/repaints come back to bite Hasbro in the butt?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Superion33, Feb 24, 2009.

1. Superion33

Superion33 Banned

I know a lot of you guys are collectors and LIKE remolds/repaints. But to me at least, I never buy a repaint. Its the same exact toy, just in a different color. It serves no purpose to buy the toy other than to "complete the set". But it adds no extra value for buying the toy if you have the original model.

If you were to use this in other businesses - they would go out of business quick. GM did it with their cars. It was called "rebadging". The same exact model would be called one name under one brand and another name under another brand. That was one of the reasons for GM's downfall.

Do you guys see that happening with Hasbro? I realize that most of you guys are collectors, but do the non-collectors out there buy repaints?

2. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Prowl/Bluestreak/Smokescreen
    Ironhide/Ratchet
    Starscream/Skywarp/Thundercracker
    Frenzy/Rumble
    Buzzsaw/Laserbeak
    Grapple/Inferno
    Hoist/Trailbreaker
    Red Alert/Sideswipe

The list goes on substantially. Repaints and remolds have been a part of Transformers for 25 years... if the practice was unsuccessful, I'm certain it would have been discontinued by now.

3. Overlord II

Overlord II Starscreamicon Leader TFW2005 Supporter

Not really because it isn't the toy, it's the character I have (insert toy-line here) Starscream, I would want to proceed to pick up Thundercracker and Skywarp in the same line even though they are repaints, because of the characters they represent.

JMHO

4. Spiderus Prime

Spiderus Prime TFW Spongebob since 2007

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    You forget

Dinobot/Grimlock
    Cheetor/Tigatron/Ravage
    Terrorsaur/Lazerbeak/F
    Waspinator/Buzzsaw
    Rattrap/Patrat

5. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

Hasbro's done it for 25 years, like ams said.

Remolds and repaints... either you love them or hate them.

6. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Jumpin' Jellyfish! Super Mod

News Credits:
    I find it amusing that you're comparing Hasbro to car companies to make your argument. Cars costs thousands of dollars and are important to many if not most of our day-to-day lives. Toys don't cost near as much and are a luxury.

That and Hasbro (and OTHER toy companies) have been doing straight redecos for decades and haven't suffered ill effects because of it yet. So if you don't like it, don't buy it.

They sure do. I made a friend of mine an amazon.com wishlist of TFs to buy her five year old son's birthday. She ended up buying him the movie FAB Shadow Megatron, Smokescreen, and Rally Rocket Bumblebee. He loved every single one of them, regardless of the fact that they're all repaints. He didn't care. Why? Because he got Transformers for his birthday!

Last edited: Feb 24, 2009
  7. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    Exactly.

One of (IMHO) the shortcomings of recent series has been to shy away from this idea and instead of offering a new character in a different deco they keep having it as a "powerup".

There are several instances where a particular mold looks great in a certain scheme. I rather like the "Skywarp" decos on several figures (Titanium, Animated, etc.) and get those, but pass on the Starscream or Thundercracker versions at times.

As also pointed out, redecos were over 30% of the original lineup, and G1 was a huge success. This is a franchise based on robots, so there's some leeway there. I think repaints were part of what helped kill off the recent Masters of the Universe re-envisioning, as they had waves filled with primary characters in odd color schemes, which made for already existing characters to have bizarre "outfits", while they can release say the Beast Machines Deluxe Jet a half dozen times as different characters (Jetstorm, Sonic Attack Jet, Jetfire, Jhiaxus, etc.) and different people may be attracted to that particular character and get that particular toy.

8. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Didn't forget, and I could easily list a hundred more for you... but the point is that a third of the 1984-1985 lineup was repaints/remolds of existing toys from the TF line.

And ALL of them were repaints from OTHER toylines! :lol 

9. Cyberjet #7

Cyberjet #7 Banned

I think the thing to remember too, is that repaints cost next to nothing for Hasbro to make. If a repaint cost as much to make and tool as an original TF, then yea, Hasbro would be dead years ago.

Hasbro unknowingly got collectors and TF enthusiasts hooked on repaints back in G1. Now every Skywarp and T-Crack repaint is welcomed with open arms. If they had just started doing repaints like last year and the concept was unheard of, then I can see where it might fail.

Personally I like repaints that make sense - like the Skywarp/T-Crack versions and I like some remolds, if the mold makes sense.

10. MidnightBliss

MidnightBliss Well-Known Member

Repaints are a great way for Hasbro to get more money out of the molds they have made. They are also a great way to get more characters without making new molds. Just like anything eles...if you don't like it....don't buy it.

11. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    I'm not familiar with the whole rebadging thing, but cars with costs in the thousands are a bit different from $10 toys. Besides, that was brand dilution or something, right? It's not like that with Transformers. It's more like selling a red car and later releasing the same in blue.

Not everyone buys the red one, not everyone buys the blue. Nobody is under pressure to buy either.

Though in Hasbro's case, it helps to keep stock on shelves without the lead costs and time associated with developing a new mold. Plus they can always sell to those who missed out on the toy the first time around. I fully believe that is a part of the Movie toy strategy with the reissued Voyager Optimus Prime.

12. megatronkicksas

megatronkicksas Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    All TFs started out as a repaint.

13. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout SANTARN IS COMING AGAIN TFW2005 Supporter

What you seem to be missing is the fact that it's alot cheaper for Hasbro to simply repaint a figure then it is to make a new mold or even a little retool. Its through this way that Hasbro can make a bigger income off of a little paint cost. In fact, probably the most abused mold that they're still using from the good 'ol G1 days is the Bruticus combiner molds, which has been used like what, 15-16 different times over the past 23 or so years? Hell, look at the movie premiums from last year, they're the exact same movie toys except with just a little better paint apps, and Hasbro was able to sell the entire main cast of the movie all over again!

14. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

no, you guys are forgetting, the entire first two year line, is nothing more then repaints/remolds, or repackaging with new stickers toys lol

i mean those toys did not originate with transformers... lol

if anything, repaints help hasbro get their money's worth out of a toy they have designed.

heck, look at gijoe, they have been, for the most part, just re-releasing the same vehicles for 25 years, over and over again. why? because people buy them.

same with transformers, as long as the toy is, either a New character, different enough TO be a new character, or unique in some way, then i will buy it, now if it is just a repaint of the same character, lets say, Galaxy Force Optimus Prime, for example, that is NOT different enough from the original, for me to of warrented buying it, and to me it was a wasted repaint, they could of repainted it as ultra magnus, or scourge, or even menasor. they could of even kept it with the same head, and THAT i would of bought.

but as it is, i already had the original cybertron prime. why buy the repaint if it is the same character?

but a new character, i am all for it. especially if it is a decepticon.

Example, TFU starscream is nothing more then a repaint of the classics starscream, as the SAME character, they missed a chance to make something new. they could of painted it as sunstorm, even if it was not even an all that great of painted one, more people would of been willing to buy a sunstorm then another starscream, when they already had either the henkei or the classics one.

how ever, good examples of toys repainted as the same character but different enough to be a new character if one wishes, are, Cyro Scourge, and Vector prime.

15. MegaHavok

MegaHavok Well-Known Member

News Credits:

I dont get it GM stopped making cars in more then one color? because thats all we are talking about. This car is availble in 5 colors and this toy is out in different colors just not at the same time.

16. joebot.

joebot. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Instagram:
    That's a better comparison

17. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    Now if megatron was just a repaint of Optimus Prime, I would be angry.

18. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

but repainting megatron as galvatron is fine lol i suppose. well, sometimes.

since the galvatron version is normally a better paint job.

oh and that is another case, sometimes the repaint IS better then the original

example, Galaxy Force Vector Prime, is MUCH cooler then the original. *not better then the japanese one though* lol

19. Zherbus

Zherbus In Shogo Hasui, we trust.

News Credits:
    Without repaints, what would be of the beloved Seekers? I buy repaints if they are good repaints. I never set a policy about buying outside of whether I want it or not.

20. Johnator

Johnator 'Til All Are Gone!

This.