Will push ups help me get stronger

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Slone1993, Dec 9, 2011.

1. Allsparky

Allsparky Bayou Buah/Ex cross-tie walker!

:lol  Start out slow and don't bite off more than you can chew, else you're liable to choke on your workouts! All kidding aside tho this is sound advice. Gotta hydrate those muscles, and be wary of high fructose corn syrup! It's in everything including lots of those fruit juices and sports drinks you'll want to run to after your workouts. As far as pushups go, you will gain some size and strength from your own bodyweight but like everybody's been sayin', eventually you need to take it to the next level. Go get 'em tiger!

2. Jazz Meister

Jazz Meister Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    This

3. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    No, pushups are a worthless exercise.

Sitting is the way to gain mass.

4. Dark Skull

Dark Skull Well-Known Enabler Moderator

News Credits:
    I don't think that's the "mass" he wants to gain :D 

5. Slone1993

Slone1993 Well-Known Member

haha agreed thanks for this information ill try attempting this.

6. kaos

kaos the original thirteen

if u do a lot of push ups then U WILL GAIN stenght(look at ex pro football player hersell walker 1000 per day)...however eating high amounts of protein (1 gram per pound of body weight) is necessary...it also depends on what body type u are... there are 3 main types(i forget off the top of my head) and each has its own special needs per say...start reading muscle mags...thats where i started and i went from 191lbs to 221(one summer)..i even got as high as 238(the next) before i realise that its to heavy for me and dropped back down to 222ish...and before someone ask it was muscle not fat...i will add that proper technique is also key when working out..i couldnt tell u how many times i would go to the gym and see fools doing exercises all wrong and shake my head...it got so bad that i just decided to buy a bowflex so i wouldnt have to deal w/ all the posers at the gym flexing and lookin in the mirror evey 5 secs....it took a while for me to find out how my body responded..as will u no doubt..everyone's body responds different when working out...while ur bud might gain in on perticular exercise u could find ur self not gaining and visa versa....best advise...pick up a muscle mag like flex or ironman and start researching...it did wonders for me..as i was in the same boat as u 13 years ago...L8s..

7. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    The Swede will help you.

Yes Push ups will do you good and build your strenght. You can change the workout for the push ups by holding the hand further out or closer each other almost ontop of each other. This will target more back (further) or triceps (closer).

You can putyour feet on a chair or the bed to get another angel on your push ups and that will target another part of your chest.

Push ups as mentioned does not train your biceps. To train these you need pull up's or whatever you call them in english.

If you feel that the push ups are to easy and want more resistance then perhapsp your brother or your gf if you have oen can sitt on your shoulders/back to add a bit more of weight. This will essentially be a human benchpress.

Your body is a tool and can be trained and there are tons of excercise you can do with the body alone if you want to, just google it. If you feel this is fun and want to do more then I suggest buy a gym card and go work out. Just make sure you do the excersise correctly before putting on weight after weight and so on.

Also it takes time , as the old saying goes " Rom was not build in a day" essentially meaning, getting stronger and more well fit takes time and 50% of it is the food.

8. SCPrime

SCPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    in P90X all you do for the chest is various forms of pushups. Ask the people who does P90X if it works. Personally, it works. But to work the whole chest area, you have to do different variations of the pushups. Can't just all be standard.

9. Sentinel

Sentinel TF Museum Curator Moderator

News Credits:
    I start every karate class I teach with 50 push-ups. I wouldn't waste the time if they didn't work.

10. Slone1993

just to aask a question it does nt really have much to do with push ups but about lifiting weights right now i could probably only bench like a 100 to 110 punds which is weak i am 18 years old and a senior in hs and my question is what would be considered a strong bench press.

11. megamus

megamus Overworked and Underpaid Veteran

News Credits:
    Go ahead and ask.....

Yes it does work. No it is not just various pushups. There are a lot of exercises that you do to increase strength. Using just plain dumb bells, a pull up bar, and a chair. You don't need anything else just time and determination. I increased my bench press dramatically by using P90X so it does add strength, will it get you ripped yes will it get you to "hulk out" probably not. Strength training requires more weight. If pushups are getting easy then add weight. You can get a weight belt or if your cheap like me make one. Ever do pushups with 20 pound bags of salt on your back?
    Oh and as all workouts state, make sure your up to it physically before starting.

12. Slone1993

yes true that

13. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    As long as you do it, yes push ups increase strength.

When I was your age I use to do 500 push ups a night. I started doing 5 sets of 10 at 16. By 18, I did 10 sets of 50 every night before bed.

My routine was simple, but I got ripped from it:

200 flights of stairs
    30 minutes of situps (I used the ab roller at the time)
    500 push ups

Did that every day. That got me ripped. Now, it is all gone. That's the sad part.

14. PrimusVsUnicron

PrimusVsUnicron Well-Known Member

15. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Wait wait wait...

There's more than one kind of push up?

Do they all involve crying and swearing or just the ones I do?

16. SCPrime

News Credits:
    the standard is you are suppose to be able to bench your own weight. So if you are 110 lbs then your right on the mark.

17. Slone1993

i am almost 120 and i doubt i could bench my own weight i am pretty weak .

18. SCPrime

News Credits:
    doesn't seem like you need much more to get to 120 lbs though.

19. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Whenever I see this thread title I think of push-up bras. It's not helped when people are also asking if push-ups will help develop the chest area. :p 

I can't remember the last time I tried to do any press-ups. I was never that great at them anyway and would probably be even worse now since I threw my shoulder out a few years back. As for bench-pressing my own weight it might be easier to lift a small car instead. I'm more a pec deck kinda guy, although I now read it's a pretty useless way to work the chest.

I tittered. :) 

20. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    Dont get hung up on how much you lift in the bench. If you dont lift more then 100 then start from there. You will increase in stenght. As long as the muscel gets some work that requiers it to push itself, meaning when you can just barely do that last oen you add a little more weight just to go further.

Just dont forgett the muscel is smart and will learn you training habbits, this si why you need to change excersies often to chock the muscel.