Will push ups help me get stronger

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Slone1993, Dec 9, 2011.

1. Slone1993

Slone1993 Well-Known Member

My social studies assistant teacher in my class told me if i wee to do 50 push ups every day not alll at one like 15 in the morning 20 whenever i get home and 15 at night for a month he said i would see results like my just would get bigger and my triceps would get stronger and bigger so over all would i get a bit stronger i mean would expect to become alot stronger but i expect to see some results.

2. Slone1993

i am male 18 years and a senior in high school to let you guys know

3. Shockwave9227

Shockwave9227 I'm actually 16.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If you're not overweight or obese, then your muscles could become stronger and might be able to endure more if you do the amount of push-ups your social studies teacher has told you.

4. DPrime

DPrime Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    You will build a LOT of endurance, and yes, you will become stronger in that way.

Will you develop bigger chest, triceps and biceps though? Not as much as if you were doing bench press, curls and other exercises with weights.

I think you should aim for more than 15 per set though. Not sure how fit you are, but you should aim for at least 25-30 each time you do them. More if you can. Keep pushing for more at once - the only way you'll get stronger is if you go to your max and keep pushing to surpass it.

5. transformervic1

transformervic1 HI!

News Credits:
    This in a nutshell.

6. Slone1993

here is a work i saw on an internet at some point but what about doing 200 push ups a day and 10 of them every 3 minutes how about that and over time just increase that amount to maybe doing 400 push ups a day by doing 20 of them every 3 minutes.

7. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

Pushups will help you develop chest muscles, but will not help too much in the strength department, since you can only lift your weight at the most. Doing bench press and other weight lifting exercise in the gym will achieve that goal much easier. Be sure to do core exercise like Squat, Lunge, and plank as well. Having a good core is essential when you are doing weights.

8. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Nope.

Cock puhups on the other hand...

9. Slone1993

10. tomagnus

tomagnus question the answers

Before my wrist and shoulder surgeries I would bang out 50 push ups in the morning while I waited for the shower to get to the right temperature. I didn't get ripped or anything but the adrenaline rush I got was better than having a strong cup of coffee. I'd feel awake and energized throughout the day. But as for getting ripped doing push ups, not likely, for that you'd need a more aggressive approach like some of the other guys have mentioned.

11. Tenebrouser

Tenebrouser Craft...or is it crap?

Push-ups are nice, but only deal with a small segment of the body. To get stronger as a whole, it would be wiser to work from the core on out and mix and match.

Hell, just do P90X. That works everything you need to be stronger.

12. wgoodman

wgoodman Big Bot

13. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    No it won't. After you do push ups how do your arms feel? Exactly, tired.

Doing pushups makes you weak! Do too many and your arms will fall off!

No I'm only shitting you, of course they'll make you stronger. But you'll benefit more if the push ups are part of a bigger exercise plan.

14. The Dark Seeker

The Dark Seeker Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Like everyone has basically said, you will get stronger, but to an extent. Don't count on push ups alone to look like and be as strong as a superhero :tongue: 
    Push ups generally work your triceps, shoulders, and chest muscles. It does NOT work your biceps.

Diet is also important if you want to have positive gains when working out. Lots of stuff you can look up and read about too if you do a search for it :) 

15. Slone1993

ok has anybody checked out my link yet on the first page i watn somebodys opinion on it.

16. The Dark Seeker

The Dark Seeker Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I read it. Here's what I think:

I'd say, you know yourself best. If you can do 20....great. Start with that and follow along with what dude says. But be aware that if you've never or hardly ever worked out in the past, this can be a lofty goal. You may be able to do it the first day, but the next day you're going to be hurting like a mofo. Pace yourself as you go and build up to it. Never go into a work out routine expecting to just "follow along" right off the bat. But if you can...then more power to you :) 

But like I said, diet is important. Look up information on nutrition as well. As with any work out, make sure you stay hydrated! Your muscles WILL thank you for it. As for building muscle mass, it won't build quite as much as weight lifting for some individuals. Weight resistance is needed. There are many variations of push ups you can do. Look into it :)  It might not hurt to mix in weights too while you're at it.

But if you want results.....like Tenebrouser said, try something like P90X. I've done the plyometrics, and ab ripper x only so far.....and...I can't recommend it enough just off of doing those two exercises alone. But don't do it like me, if you want to look good and feel good, do the whole thing.

Ultimately, its all up to you. But I can't stress the importance of nutrition enough! More than half the time, people don't see any results because they're not eating enough or eating right!
    Whatever you do though.....don't cheat. You want real muscle strength and the real look.....you gotta work for it. Ask TJ Duckett or Stormcrow.

17. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Any kind of exercise will benefit you. Personally I find exercise boring. Pies are where the excitement is at these days. Push up a pie to your mouth. :) 
    This 'other hand' you mention... does it have to be my own? :p 

Tenacious D FTW!

18. Slone1993

what should i stick to dong drinking alots of water and having a solid breakfast lunch and dinner.

19. llamatron

llamatron OFFICIAL MMC REP TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Yes, stick to dong.

Water and only water - no soda, no fruit juice, just water. And drink lots of it.

Ideally I guess you'd have 6 roughly even small meals spread 3 hours apart.

20. megamus

megamus Overworked and Underpaid Veteran

News Credits:
    THIS! Trust me, it works. Basically, an hour and 15 minutes a day. Some people cannot devote these amount of time but then again, not everyone can get six packs and do over 160 pullups!

On the easy side, do your pushups, get yourself a pull up bar. Push ups / pull ups/ and a good diet and your on your way...