Will our current toys crumble?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by thenatureboywoo, Oct 16, 2010.

1. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    I feel like I am a GPS worrywart. I have avoided previous toys with the known condition. And thought about the latter part of the decade, there haven't been but a few Transformers with gold plastic with some people saying they have had an issue while others say they haven't. The Star Wars Crossover Chewbacca does have the problem along with that one Micromaster KayBee exclusive set in which the name elludes me.

Anyways fast forward to 2010 and a plethora of Transformers with gold plastic. Blazemaster from '09, Leader Starscream, HA Jazz (more or a copper shade), PCC five-pack Destructicon drones, and now Hailstorm. While Hailstorm has a lighter shade of gold that didn't seem to have the problem, he remains suspiscous to me at least. Does the fact that these toys have gold plastic discourage you from buying certain toys? Or do you buy doubles or triples in hopes that you can make some cash down the line if it does happen? Or finally, is it one of those things that doesn't even cross your mind and if it happens, it happens?

Now I know more than likely I am making a bigger deal out of it than it is, but is something that I think about when I open a toy and find gold plastic.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2010
  2. havanowoncheese

havanowoncheese Proud No Ma'amer!

Natureboy i am totally with you. Whenever i open a figure and it has going further than just gold plastic but swirly metallic plastic i worry. Like BB OP has gold plastic but it is not the shiny swirly metallic. And i know that hasbro has claimed to have fixed this they have claimed that before and the only way to tell for sure if they have is time. Lets hope for the best.

3. LEADERS_MATRIX

LEADERS_MATRIX Wisdom of the ages...

I'm still worried about my Monstructor bots, haven't even thought of the new stuff, guess its a good thing I don't collect movie bots.

4. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout SANTARN IS COMING AGAIN TFW2005 Supporter

Is the gold plastic of the "swirly speckles" sort? If not, I highly doubt that these more recent releases have the problem with GPS.

Take Voyager Seaspray, for example. He's got gold plastic, but I am confident it is not the kind that falls prone to GPS.

5. Rigas

Rigas Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I firmly believe thanks to science that GPS has been wiped out like small pox!

6. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
  7. havanowoncheese

I remember that Nevermore like i said though only time will tell if this is true.

8. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    Well, which was the last toy that suffered from GPS?

When was it released?

When did the problems start?

When was the next toy with gold plastic released after that?

9. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Protoform Starscream. For the longest time, I seemed to be the only person who had one that crumbled to dust, after just sitting on a shelf for a little over a year, but other people have recently been talking about theirs suffering from GPS, too. So it's not a strange single case.

After him, the next was Blazemaster, I think. There's been no problems reported on him as far as I know.

10. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

Most recent figure I can think of with GPS is Energon Scorponok, unless anyone can name a figure known to have issues past 2004.

Huh. I'll have to check mine. I think I have it stored away in the garage.

11. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    I bought Protoform Starscream specifically to see if he would have GPS, I wanted to see the effects for myself. But so far mine hasn't done anything.

GPS doesn't affect all gold plastic, and even in the type that is affected, supposedly it's more of an issue for thin areas than thick/solid parts.

12. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    break points on my protoform Starscream -
    -Part that the arms connect to
    -part that the head is attached to
    -elbows
    -knees

These parts did not crack, which would be a sign of just being a tight part, they completely shattered, the same way my BW Magnaboss Silverbolt's wings did.

GPS has always been spotty. I have Slog. Slog's gold plastic is fine. Surprisingly, the only part that has broken on him is his black chest, specifically the clips birdbrain's head attaches to.

13. Roufuss

Roufuss Shots

News Credits:
    I just realized my Energon Scorponok had a crack in it but it doesn't look like GPS... it's a clean break and it just looks like the result of thin piece of plastic in a high stress area.

It's the golden plastic piece located in the arm joint. Here is the thread on it:

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/trans...295267-warning-energon-scorponok-has-gps.html

I didn't even notice the break until I checked my figure just now and luckily it's in a piece of plastic that just does nothing.

14. Sharktibolt

Sharktibolt Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I doubt Hailstorm will suffer from GPS. He has few gold paint apps when compared to some others (ROTF Blazemaster for example). Plus, I think most of his gold is painted on, so its probably not the plastic.

Although I do admit, his shoulders/tank treads might be cause for worry.....

15. Andrew28b

Andrew28b Nemesis custom

my generations optimus primes belt shattered by transforming him two days ago.(not the codpiece, more of his clips for his shoulders in alt mode)
    oh and for GPS, I miss my Transmetal 1 megatron. TT.TT

16. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    If it's not swirly, there's nothing to worry about. My pride and joy is my Great Goldran (from Brave)... Anyone ever look at one of those? It's all gold plastic. I'm confident it won't break, though, because it's not swirly.

BWN Randy, however, crumbled to dust within a few days of opening it (back when I had it a few years ago).

It's not something to loose any sleep over. If it happens, it happens. They're toys.

17. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've generally been lucky with GPS. The only figures I encountered it on are the KB MM Superion set and the first TM Megatron I had...although the second TM Megatron I bought has been unaffected for well over a decade now. However, I did recently notice my Protoform Starscream was missing a tail fin, so I'm keeping an eye on that one for any other parts that go missing or break. The only other figure I'm really concerned about is RotF Blazemaster but, thanks to the DYAG promotion, I have an extra MISB if my original ever does come down with GPS.

While it's good that Hasbro knows about the problem and has made an attempt at correcting it, since GPS generally takes so long to develop, we can't be entirely sure whether that change is effective until more time has passed.

18. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Personally I hope none of our generations toys will crumble.

well except for ROTF Blazemaster due to my un-dying hatred of that chicken legged freak.

19. Wollstone

Wollstone Banned

So some of you are avoiding new gold figures for no reason at all.

20. havanowoncheese

I have not avoided them at all. I can just say i am hoping for the best and that hasbro has resolved the issue with GPS.