Will Mercedes license it's car's likeness? (movie spoiler warning)

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Tycho, Jul 5, 2011.

1. Tycho

Tycho Well-Known Member

I put the movie spoiler warning - just in case.

Mercedes, and German companies, wouldn't license war toys before. (One reason why BumbleBee was never going to be a Volkswagon in the live-action films).

Will Mercedes block Soundwave from being made? I would love Deluxe and Human Alliance figures of the Mercedes Soundwave! They are completely logical and necessary additions to these lines. Oh - and a Cyberverse figure as well.

2. wildfly

wildfly Lasers, 8 O'Clock, Day 1.

News Credits:
    Considering that

- Soundwave's animation model has a rather large Mercedes logo on his chest,

- he has a significant role in the movie,

- Hasbro SPECIFICALLY referred to his alt mode as an SLS, even if they did
    remove the listing (for a while?) afterwards

- Every Human Alliance vehicle so far has been licensed by the manufactuer...

...i'd lean towards yes.

International licensing may be an issue for international branches of Mercedes though. So Non-Us markets.... don't hold your breath.

3. JazzBot95

JazzBot95 Well-Known Member

I'm still gonna wait till his toys are announced. I hope it'll be licensed but it may or may not be.

4. Tycho

Tycho Well-Known Member

In another thread on these boards, Havawonacheese posted a Wal-Mart computer listing for HA Soundwave, at $29.99.

There's no expected release date. But I guess it's happening. I hope he comes with Carly!

5. JazzBot95

JazzBot95 Well-Known Member

He's coming with Laserbeak, unless Laserbeak is like Steeljaw with Leadfoot, in that case making Carly the most probable driver to come with.

6. Tycho

Tycho Well-Known Member

That would be great, either way. But maybe then Soundwave should come with the bad human's figure (what was his name?! It's late. Can't believe I forgot). Yet definitely include a scaled Laserbeak! Skids, Mudflap, and Jazz all included motorcycles with their HA figures, plus an action figure of a human. Why not have both a human and Laserbeak come with Soundwave?

Carly should be made, too. She'd be hot coming with Dino.

7. Rodimus Mike

Rodimus Mike I Drank What?

Ebay:
    Wanna say this first that if we get a HA Soundwave which is pretty likely since he was in the movie somewhat more than others,but my point is I really hope his figure ends up having those Gull Wing Doors.As I always loved cars like that.So here's hoping.

Now I see it this way but if Mercedes were so against associating there cars as War Toys then why would there car be in DOTM.I guess they figure WTH. But when (not if) they announce his release I am so getting him in any form.

8. DELTAsnake

DELTAsnake Decepticon

News Credits:
    Your talking about two different companies. Volkswagen and Daimler, just cause one has said no to Transformers in the past doesn't mean the other one will. I'd say that given all the marketing in DOTM for Mercedes Daimler is probably OK with being associated with an alien war that results in the deaths of thousands of people in Chicago. Plus Daimler has never said anything bad about G1 Optimus Prime being a Freightliner truck unlike Volkswagen not liking G1 Bee being a Beatle.

9. PowermasterJazz

PowermasterJazz Well-Known Member

I say with all the $$$$$$$ the Transformers movies have made, maybe they changed their minds

10. jimmynguyen41

jimmynguyen41 aka Special Agent JiMMeRz

News Credits:
  11. Ironhide4

Ironhide4 Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    soundwave and wheeljack were mercedes, I reckon, like the wreckers hasbro will pay the money to licence them as there'll be various properties of them to be made unlike sideways who acted for 15 seconds.

12. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    I hope so.

I wish Mercedes would start looking at how awesome bad ass Transformers should turn into their vehicles.

13. Ironhide4

Ironhide4 Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I personally think it was bay that went for mainly american vehicles, the man is infatuated unhealthily with the US military so makes no surprise he wants american cars to relate with americans. Wheeljack was a blatant excuse to have a good guy with a german voice, german car, german registration and looked like einstein yet bay went against that, surprised? No. Same way as he professed he didn't look elsewhere due to companies not wanting to be involved with war? It's a fictional world and a brilliant advertising scheme, most people can't say that there isn't at least one car in the movie they wouldn't like to own so car companies would be ridiculously stupid not to try include theirs, blame bay dude.

14. Megatron31

Megatron31 I Belong to Nobody! TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    i kinda figure soundwave would come with carly's boss if we get a human figure out of that set

15. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    We already have a Soundwave toy confirmed, so It seems they may have actually approved.

16. Jlogano20

Jlogano20 Speed Gunner

News Credits:
    if not the toys would just be like ROTF sideways still looking like it but very slightly altered

17. Shadow25

Shadow25 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Considering two Mercedes characters were in the movie, I think Hasbro will go out and secure the rights especially since both Soundwave and Wheeljack have potential in multiple size classes. I can understand not getting the rights to the Italia, as Dino was one of the least featured characters in the movie anyway, plus the car looks as if it can be "generalized" more easily than a Merc.

18. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    I'm sure Hasbro will alter the vehicle mode slightly in order to get a figure released.

19. Orion_Prime48

Orion_Prime48 Super Sentai Purist

News Credits:
    I hope so, id love to have a bigass SLS TF on my shelf.

Mirage is gona be a different story though I highly doubt they can pay Ferrari enough to make toys in the likeness of the 458 Italia, which is a shame cause its such a gorgeous car

20. Optimus1138

Optimus1138 Minecraft Addict

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Judging by the fact that he's getting an HA figure (which would probably be licensed) and the fact that he's shown up in listings and on Hasbro's website as a Mercedes, I think he'll be licensed.