Will Hasbro release MP-03 Starscream?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Kickback, Apr 26, 2006.

1. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    Considering how poorly most of the "SUPREME" size figures have sold, including 20th Anniversary Prime (the best Transformer ever made and most waited till he went on clearance), do you think Hasbro is going to release that figure here?

2. Crimson87

Crimson87 Senior Member

They could make him a supremem figure for the classics line, or they could release him with the movie line. I'm sure they wouldn't miss out on potential sales. Just don't expect him to be as prominent as 20th OP was.

3. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

I hope so, maybe they can do him mail order only or something. I'd hate to have to pay import prices on top of 75-100 dollars.

4. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Just as I said in the other thread, I thought MP molds were too expensive to not be a joint effort?

Maybe this has changed since the merger.

5. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I hope so. I don't import figures anymore, so if it's not released by Hasbro, I doubt I'd ever get it.

6. artiepants

artiepants Just over here punching Unicron.

News Credits:
    my baseless theory? He'll be released all (or mostly) plastic as a new price point Ultra Alternator. (i'm thinking $40?)

7. planetjacker

planetjacker Critters burn real good. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Not sure but dosen't matter to me. I have already put in a preorder. If they don't bring it over I don't want to miss out, and the MP packageing has been better looking to me anyhow (since I am getting one to keep MISB for my Starscream collection).

8. CrackerBoy

CrackerBoy Señor Member TFW2005 Supporter

They will release him right after they release MP Magnus.

9. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

That would SOOOO rule!!!

10. Kickback

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    I just look back to how Hasbro has mentioned under the radar so to speak that 20th Anniversary Prime was pretty much a shelf-warmer. Why would they now, past the 20th Anniversary mark, go and release another $80 figure that will warm the shelves because people wait for it to hit clearance?

11. Acid Wing

Acid Wing Senior Alien TF Member

News Credits:
    Since you make a very good point Kickback (albeit depressing for my wallet:( ), possibly they can release him here via a distributor like Diamond Comics? So, that we could get him released in comic stores/hobby shops?

12. artiepants

artiepants Just over here punching Unicron.

News Credits:
    i think everyone thought 20th Prime was a little on the Pricey side ~ hence he warmed shelves @ $80, but seemed to clear out pretty fast @ $50-60

13. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    You're the one who seems to have an inside connection at Hasbro, you tell us. :p 

That would so f'ing rule. I would gladly trade diecast for a 50% price drop.

14. TJOmega

TJOmega The Plastic Addict Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Starscream might be a store exclusive in the US... so long as they dont kill it with extra (i.e., bad) paint aps. I cant imagine Hasbro not capitalizing on such a popular character

15. Kickback

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    Obviously he's not that popular. A giant Cybertron Starscream at $50 didn't sell until he was on clearance for much lower.

16. Dayvcon

Dayvcon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i really, really, really, really,really, really, really, really,really, really, really, really,really, really, really, really,really, really, really, really, hope MP-Starscream gets released by Hasbro Plastic or Diecast.

17. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

I was one of those people who paid retail price for Supreme SS and regretted it when it's on clearance. That said I'll still buy MP SS when it comes out because I serious doubt it'll ever be out in the States. But if Hasbro is going to release it then I'll get second one to open.

18. Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus Movie Megs eats your soul

News Credits:
    I think Hasbro will release Starscream over here:
    - G1 will be getting a HUGE push this fall with classics leading up to the movie, Starscream could easily be the "big ticket item" of the line for Christmas
    - While most Supreme figures HAVE been clearanced, with the exception of Unicron, most did rather well at Christmas with clearancing occuring on the leftovers.
    - This is a BIG item for Takara to go alone on. Considering past examples, a Decepticon, which isn't even a leader, really doesn't fit with how Takara has traditionally done these high ticket items.

I don't feel Prime was an accurate gauge on the concept. He was release right after Christmas with a market glutted with Transformers products. In February of 2004, there was: Energon, Alternators, Universe, Commemerative series, Armada, and in some places Robots in Disguise. He was a high ticket item released at the WORSE time. I think he would have done FAR better if released in the later part of 2004.

With Starscream, he's either going to be released in time for Christmas, or be held to ride the movie hype.

19. planetjacker

planetjacker Critters burn real good. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I got mine at full price and never regreted it. I looked for another when the price drops were posted but they were all gone by that point. Given that, I am even more glad I got mine at full price.

20. The Madness

The Madness News Credits: -13

I think it has more to do with mass consumer's modern buying behaviour with regards to high price items. People do tend to see waiting for sales and clearances as legitimate, and in the "information age" prices are incredibly competitive. Selfish as that may be, remember, all parties are fundamentally looking out for their own interests, that’s how a sale bargain works.

Collectors are probably willing to pay more to guarantee a purchase. But they are hardly enough of a market to cover costs without the price increasing exponentially, so I don't think by-order would work.

The only way to really address this is to look into the buyer's perception of value, as the mentioned items value doesn’t match their cost in most people's eyes. If both the previously mentioned toys didn't win awards...they should have. It was clear they were impressive to most people, but as it turns out, not worth the price tag in many people's opinion.
    Clearly 20th OP was to me, as I bought it first time I saw it, but I can acknowledge most people would be hesitant about paying AU$130+ for a toy that isn't radio controlled, or wont make your breakfast for you.

It's really up to Hasbro's Marketing to get people to consider an item 'worth' its cost, especially when everyone knows it will be cheaper later if you wait long enough, we can only do so much to promote excitement in it.
    The only other work around is to create immediacy in the purchase, traditionally that would be releasing it around Christmas time.