Will Dark of the Moon be more successful then the first two movies?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by TheRubberbandit, Mar 22, 2011.

1. uruseiranma

uruseiranma Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think it'll do less than ROTF. It'll still do impressively given fandom and such, though at this point, I feel like most '3' movies, enthusiasm spikes with the 2nd film, before there's some equilibrium with the final one.

2. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Did a bit of digging because I was wondering is there any third films that did better if you adjusted for inflation.

So in the all time domestic box office adjusted for inflation here are a where the films in some popular franchises rank.

Star Wars #2, Empire Strikes Back #12, Return of the Jedi #15

Raiders of the Lost Ark #17, Temple of Doom #84, Last Crusade #95

Spiderman #35, Spiderman 2 #53, Spiderman 3 #96

Phantom Menace #20, Revenge of the Sith #58, Attack of the Clones #85

Return of the King #51, The Two Towers #60, Fellowship of the Ring #75

So I wouldn't say it's totally impossible for a third film to do better than the other films when you adjust for things like inflation, but it sure it's a given that the third film will be the biggest money maker.

3. casabonita

casabonita Autobot

News Credits:
    If you had to guess how do you think DOTM will fare in comparison to the the previous transformers films?

4. Ash from Carolina

It should do at least as well as the first film since it's still got a 4th of July release date and the 3D surcharge will increase the box office take. But I just don't see it pulling in the same sort of numbers as Revenge of the Fallen because the summer market is so different than it was in 2009.

So ballpark guess of $300 to $350 million in the US.

5. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

Meh, I never cared what critics say to begin with, regardless of what they say about movies. I always found them to be prentetious people at best and honestly, sometimes worthless. It´s only when they say stuff like "you´re an idiot for enjoying this movie and people should stop liking you!" that I have a problem.

6. casabonita

casabonita Autobot

News Credits:
    I'd be happy with that, it's obviously not going to flop and I want it to do well. For some weird fan vindication purposes I'd love if it topped ROTF but that's a lot to ask this summer.

7. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It might not do as well as the other two, but it will still be considered a financial success I am sure.

8. Ash from Carolina

Even with a summer loaded with huge action film franchises I just don't see a way that it could flop.

4th of July tends to give action films a huge opening week so I could see Dark of the Moon doing really well that first week.

Doesn't look like any strong films the first two weeks after Dark of the Moon opens which should help the box office. I'm sure all the entertainment news will become dominated by Potter-mania but the movie isn't released until July 15th.