will Cars 2 interfere with dotm toys

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by nodonnell1986, May 10, 2011.

1. nodonnell1986

nodonnell1986 Well-Known Member

I called a local toysrus yesturday to ask about DOTM toys yesturday. During the conversation the guy mentioned the toys for the new Cars movie came out the 16th, and he seemed to think the Cars toys would be a much bigger thing than dotm. The local wmart also has the new Cars toys in the back, but no dotm yet. So its got me wondering if the release for Cars toys might impact the amt of dotm product retailers carry/put out.

I don't know, what do you guys think?

2. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    Isn't Cars Pixar's worse animated film out of all of them? (they are all good, cept this is the worse of all according to ratings). I don't see why they choose a sequel to the worse one they made.

That aside, I believe Cars will have a slightly younger audience than those who Transformers.

3. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Translatorminator

News Credits:
    Good or not, Cars was extremely popular with young boys from what I've seen.

4. knoted

knoted Resistor Transistor

News Credits:
    Cars 2 toys are going to be a succes with kids ages 3 - 10. This also depends on the kind of parents though.

Maybe a good thing if Cars 2 toys steal a lot of sales from all those Bumblebee versions.

5. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    No.

6. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

If it's anything like the last time there was a Cars movie out then little boys are going to go crazy for the toys. Just something that excites them about those toys more than anything else out there. I'm guessing parents like them as well since there isn't the frustration of having to deal with a toy too complex for little Johnny to transform on his own.

It's not just the Cars toy line that could hurt Dark of the Moon this year when it comes to moving toys. We are over loaded with movies that have a toy line attached to it this year. Lots of those are new film lines so you have to wonder will kids go for yet another Bumblebee when they could have their first Thor, Green Lantern, or Captain America? Or all the space taken up by Pirates and Harry Potter items.

7. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I liked Cars. ;_;

But I really doubt it'll interfere with DOTM.

8. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    =.= hey, I didn't say Cars wasn't a good movie. Its a great movie. But so are other pixars.

On topic, I doubt it will "interfere". rarely does a franchise have full reign and no competition anyways.

9. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    I don't know abuot any facts but I definitely think Cars was the weakest of the Pixar flix. On a brighter side, next year Pixar is releasing Monster Inc 2...now that there was one great Pixar flick although I think we need an Incredibles 2.

On topic...I can not see Cars toys beating out Transformers. You would think that someone working at TRU will EVENTUALLY learn a thing or two about toys just by simple exposure to the toys and customers.

10. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Damn right we do.

11. Secretcode

Secretcode Keeper of Encarta Veteran

News Credits:
    YouTube:
    No. At most it'll affect whatever RPMs is going as.

12. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    Sorry to diverge from topic but to answer a few people, this is what I based it on, and I know, its not complete concrete:

From wiki:
    "Rotten Tomatoes gave Cars a fresh 74% (with an average of 6.9),[19] yet no other Pixar Film has ever scored less than 91%, but it still received a "Certified Fresh" rating, and it earned a 73/100 on Metacritic, both the lowest attributed to a Pixar film."

Btw, this has no bearing on whether young boys sees it as popular or not. my initial post was merely commenting on that they have so many other good choices as sequel. I would love Incredibles 2, Monsters Inc 2, etc. WALLEEEEE 2!

13. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    No.

14. Quixote_Prime

Quixote_Prime is missed.

News Credits:
    The TRU I frequent has two marquee locations, one massive, one less so at the entrance (perhaps all are like this) and so I imagine they can share space on this weekend reset.

15. Facemeat

Facemeat Give me your Face(meat)!

Umm...no, no it won't. I think Cars toys appeal only to very young (3-6) boys, so it shouldn't really affect DOTM at all.

16. Thundershot

Thundershot The guy with 28 Sweeps

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Cars toys are in a completely different aisle in every store around me.... Shouldn't interfere. Only issue might be TRU's big display in the front... Who will get it?

Oh, and I LOVED Cars as a movie. My 3 year old even more so.

17. Starfire22

Starfire22 I am dirty dan!

News Credits:
    No in most retail stores the cars toys are usually in a different section (like the hot wheels area), and as for it beating out DOTM in sales, I highly doubt it.

18. Kaymac

Kaymac I'M REALLY FEELIN' IT!

Absolutely not.

Cars toys are put on a completely separate shelf from Transformers. It's just more stuff they have to put up, but it certainly won't cause problems beyond workload.

19. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    I don't know if you readm y post but WE ARE getting Monsters Inc 2 next year. It's announced on Flixter.

I am a HUGE Pixar fan and have loved everything they have produced, that is until Cars. I skipped it in theatres and barely got through it watchign ti at home. I thought that the wind was knocked out of Pixars sail when they released this. Then they bounced back with Ratatoui and all was forgiven (BTW Ratatoui is one of the greatest Pixar flix eva)

20. havanowoncheese

havanowoncheese Proud No Ma'amer!

I dont think cars 2 toys will interfere with dotm at all. As mentioned with all the movies coming out with toy lines a kid will want his Bumblebee driving with Lightning Mcqueen going to face down Shockwave with Thor Captain America and the Green Lantern. After the fight they will retire to drink some rum with Jack Sparrow.