Will C.H.U.G. be as cherished as G1 in 25 years?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by TheBigMachine, Jul 14, 2010.

?

In 25 years how will CHUG compare to G1/G2

1. It will be MORE desirable G1/G2 - (More modern, more articulation, more better)

18 vote(s)
    14.4%
  2. It will be EQUALLY desirable G1/G2 - (Yeah, they're both awesome. Fo' gettabout it)

48 vote(s)
    38.4%
  3. It will be LESS desireable than G1/G2 - (C'mon are you serious?)

59 vote(s)
    47.2%
  1. TheBigMachine

TheBigMachine Initiating JAZZ HANDS!

News Credits:
    I've been thinking about this a bit lately and wondering if the Classics, Henkei, Universe 2.0 and Generations lines (CHUG - Specifically the homages to G1/G2) will be valued as highly as the original G1 and G2 figures. It seems that most of them go up and stay up in value once they're off the shelves. I can really see them being highly sought after in 25 years (not that they aren't now).

With this possibility in mind:
    1) how does that affect your buying of CHUG figures?

2) How you display them?

3) Do you take them out of their packages, and IF you do what you do with the package (meaning keep all of it, just the backs, etc.)?

4) Do you buy multiples for investment or for displaying one loose and one MISB?

I bring up the packaging because G1 packaging in mint condition,
    even if empty, still brings a good amount of money.

EDIT: Some how I left off "THAN" before G1/G2 on the first two poll questions, hopefully you get the idea.

2. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    CHUG is what you do with your beer.

Seriously, now people are going OTT with the CHUG stff.

And to answer the question at hand. No.

3. harrismonkey

harrismonkey Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Seems unlikely.

But who knows.

For that matter is everything G1 super valuable, or is the earlier (and in many cases nicer) stuff more valuable?

4. G1_Cindersaur

G1_Cindersaur Banned

News Credits:
    nope. it is nice..but not as inspiring and lasting as G1/G2 were...25 years from now...i doubt there will be tons of collectors hugging their CHUG collections happy that they held onto them for a quarter of a century.

5. rizuan76

rizuan76 Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hmm..who knows only time will tell, but if that ever happens I'm fine with it.

6. Sportimus

Sportimus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think "CHUG" will be just as desirable as G1 25 years down the road. The original toys will always be desirable as they were the first ones out and were the ones that made the line so successful. That gives them historical value, as well as collector value. CHUG is everything G1 fans wish they had as kids, and that right there will give them value as they're nearly perfected versions (not all) of the original versions.

7. tf_4_lyf

tf_4_lyf Deceptibot

News Credits:
    I think they'll br pretty valuable later on but not as popular as G1 for reasons like:

G1 started it all, they where the original and had a lot of nostalgia for most collectors.

They dont make they like they used to with all the safety rules (ie, classics megatron being a nerf gun, and the fact that they dont put diecast in them anymore.)

But with the new articulation and accuracy they will be up there in value ( specifically hekei.)

8. perithimus

perithimus Well-Known Member

I agree. I think the whole chug thing is retarded. But anyway I do think they might be. They are pretty awesome toys.

9. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Even if they won't invoke as much nostalgia because I grew up with the G1 toys and not the Classics toys, I consider the G1 Classics an extension of G1. Same thing with the Masterpieces. My heart's big enough to make room for Classics alongside the G1 stuff (along with the other lines).

10. starsaber888

starsaber888 Well-Known Member

1) how does that affect your buying of CHUG figures?
    i don't really think about the future, i just buy figures that i like the look of and has a G1 feel to it.

2) How you display them?
    all in robot mode.

3) Do you take them out of their packages, and IF you do what you do with the package (meaning keep all of it, just the backs, etc.)?
    i've opened every CHUG figure so far, many have been put back into the packagings because i've just moved house.

4) Do you buy multiples for investment or for displaying one loose and one MISB?
    i do not buy figures for investment. i buy to display and take pics. i do have multiples jetfire, starscream and thundercracker (classics to play with, henkei for display). i may pick up generations thrust for the same reason...

11. Dran0n

Dran0n Junk male

News Credits:
    No, probably not.

GEEWUN TOIZ OR GIT DA FUK OWT.

12. firehawc_69

firehawc_69 cloppers = ignore list

News Credits:
    I think all they've done is reset the bar on Transformers. The originals were more than we could have ever wanted. These newer ones have built on the past and utilized today's technology to push it to the next level. Will they be as revered as G1? Who knows, but who woulda thought Beast Wars would have been as loved as it is now by some?

13. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    not likely they lack the nostalgia and historic value of G1

14. MrSoundwaveGuy

MrSoundwaveGuy I've made a huge mistake

News Credits:
    I think the fact that the Classics line has been revamped into so many different lines- Universe 2.0 and Generations, will hurt its nostalgia as opposed to the G1 figures which were all in one line

15. SentinelPrime

SentinelPrime I NEEDED THAT!

Ebay:
    In that much time it will probably seem like just another line.

G1 is what started everything and will always be remembered for that. G1 is "The Transformers" and time will remember it for that. Its like how the original Star Wars trilogy will forever stand apart from the rest of Lucas' additions.

16. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah, G1 will forever be more popular than the CHUG (I like it!) figures.

17. Automorpher

Automorpher Autobot Slut!

News Credits:
    I'll say no. :D 

18. and2ng

and2ng Examples, Stupid!

News Credits:
    Not likely.

The one main reason IMHO, is that most people in the 80s don't buy the G1 toys and treat them as collectibles. They buy them because they are toys to open and play with. Besides toy collecting is hardly popular hobby at that time. so supple for G1 toys are not plentiful and command high prices.

Fast forward two decades, toy collecting is now a rather mainstream and accepted hobby. More people are buying toys and treating them as collectibles, for investment and the like. So in effect, you can still find plenty of MISB/MOSC TF classics items at rather affordable prices. Only a few lucky pieces are able to command spectacular resale prices because of varying circumstances. (Rodimus, Wildrider, Red Alert for instance) But even that is subjected to future re-issues.

25 years ahead, I believe the situation would be similar to the above-mentioned because there'll still be a supply of sealed Classics as toy collectors/investors unload their collection when they give up toy-collecting.

19. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i am going play the cranky geezer and say that CHUG won't be as cherished because kids are spoiled.
    Think about when G1 came out and then pretend to be indifferent to it.
    i mean, we had electronic handheld games (like radio shack football) where it was just flashing red dots. all the sports games were like that. The 2600 was still a pixel box.

the toys we had peaked with Erector sets or those Radio Shack build your own radio kits.

then came TFs.
    holy mother of god- a Lamborghini that is a robot.

fast forward to the age of PS3s and kids who haven't had a year go by without Transformers.
    they are kinda desensitized; more so than us G1 oldsters. lots of choices- either he can have a Generations SeaSpray or an Xbox game...the toy can wait. there's room for the take it or leave it mentality.

but...to be fair, the tykes that only knew of CHUG (or the movie toys) will have a special spot in their hearts for them. just like our G1s.
    it just won't translate into becoming as Iconic or endearing as the original line that radically altered the toy landscape 25 years ago.

20. Wyvern

Wyvern Velvet Sanchez

News Credits:
    I vote no. I love Classics (CHUG sounds stupid) but G1 is the original. With time they will become even more desirable. Classics is pretty much just riding the G1 wave.

Who knows.... in 25 years they'll probably have made one or two series with better versions of G1 figures making Classics obsolete.