Will Alternators age well?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Insane Galvatron, Dec 27, 2006.

1. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    I'm starting to doubt it. I have a Smokescreen that has been hangin around here for a while. I picked him up this morning to look at only to have everthing from his chest up fall off. Upon inspection, the black part that is the center console in car mode has the hinge that the car front end is attached to was broken. One side broke off, and his top fell off. I was piecing it back togther to see how it went in the hopes of being able to glue it together. As I was doing this, it broke if in two more places on that same side. Litterally just fell apart in my hand. The hinge on the other side did the same. So as I was inspecting it further, the hinge at the bottom ( that holds his waiste on ) broke clean off as well. I don't know why, but that one piece of plastic is EXTREMELY brittle. If this is common across the board with alternators, I dont see there being many of them still around in 20 years...

2. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Man If they start getting brittle then we're screwed. Will probably keep mine in alt mode with the bubbles around them for the next 20 yrs.
    They're so good looking I use them for display mostly, afraid to play around with them.

I hope MP Starscream does'nt get like that

3. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    playing with TFs, and transforming them alot will make the joints go bad and that aint just for TFs , that is for all toys.

4. Insane Galvatron

News Credits:
    Thing is, this guy has mostly been sitting. Not transformed more than 4 or 5 times, tops. And it's not just a wear and tear issue at the joints. The plastic litterally is just falling into pieces. Not sure what's caused it, and so far he's the only one in my collection that it's happening to. I hope my puple Galvatron doesn't develop this ailment. *hugs Galvatron*

5. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Alts use thin plastic, like Grandma's hip. And my Sideswipe already has gray in his beard. Hmmm. I doubt they're as durable long term as mainline toys.

6. Mr Grimm

Mr Grimm Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I transformed my BT Prowl for the first time in a while today and noticed that one of the hinges on the bottom of the car (that hole the flaps that sit under the doors) had cracked. It's not completely broken yet, but it's certainly odd. I don't remember it being like that last time I played with him.

7. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I think I hear Razerwire crying already.

8. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Megatron? Is that you!?!?

hmmm...mine are all still fine....maybe u got a bum one.

9. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    I have transformed my BTs once to get them to the shelf so I cant really tell but they are minty now as the day they were behind glassdors.

10. Insane Galvatron

News Credits:
    Screw Razerwire, I'm gonna cry. Do you know how much money I'd be out for nothing if all my TFs just crumbled into dust like Starscream in the movie? Maybe I should sell them all now while they are in one piece...

11. Sonscreen

Sonscreen Casual TF collector<br><b><font color=#FF0000>aksm TFW2005 Supporter

How are your other Alts doing?

12. freezowave

freezowave Well-Known Member

I have had 0 problems with mine. I hope this was some isolated thing, or a weird defect that may have been missed earlier. I have transformed all of them a bunch of times too, but who knows.

I know I always handle my TM Megs with A LOT of care after seeing som much of the brown plastic just fall apart. Tears should be spread too for my Car Brothers and their split tires.

13. Insane Galvatron

News Credits:
    The rest are fine. So far, it seems to be isolated, but sucks none-the-less. At least Smokescreen is one of those toys that I have more than one of, so it's not a complete loss.

14. Ogami Daigoro

Ogami Daigoro Blue Lantern Bearer

If their tires start splitting, I'm done with collecting for sure!

15. Spekkio

Spekkio Master of War

All of mine are fine, and I've probably been rougher on my Alts than others have been. But that said, thanks for the heads-up. As someone else said - hopefully this is a rare issue.

16. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Oh dear, someone let that guy who mixed up all that old gold plastic back on the line again! I thought he was fired for good after he did the Transmetal Megatron job!

Cool, now I'm afraid to touch my Alt. Smokescreen. Oh well, I got one in robot mode and one in car mode - I should never need to, right? :) 

17. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Translatorminator

News Credits:
    Don't have any problems with my Alternators. It's strange that I never the problems that you guys seem to encounter (create?)...

18. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    I Suck with Alternators Transforming Grimlock Is Dead,Miester Is Missing His gun,Swindle/Camshaft are complete Grimlock is rotting away while The Others live in my Room why because even If i read The instructions they break off That's why with Tracks i will collect alternators anymore I don't bother transforming unless it's swindle.

19. Brandon

Brandon This is important work.

I haven't noticed any issues with my Alternators.

20. seali_me

seali_me Well-Known Member

I cooooom froooom the fuuuuuture!

Yes they have. :D 

I can't say the same with binaltech bluestreak.

No tires splitting here either.