Customs: will alcohol remove spraypaint?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by knyghtmare2021, Oct 8, 2007.

1. knyghtmare2021

knyghtmare2021 The Goddamn Knyghtmare

News Credits:
    title says it all... I have a 2008 BB I spraypainted, and I want to re do it... best option for removing the paint?

2. Skywave

Skywave Transformers Noob

If the paint was "fresh", it could be striped more easily. If the paint have dried, you'll need to rub hard with alchool and coton swab to take the paint off, and even then it won't be perfect. I have an Alt Skids (failed repaint attemp by a friend) that've been soaking in alchool for weeks, and the paint won't come off unless I rub very hard. Recess and panel line are very hard to clean this way cause you can't reach them.

But maybe it depend on the type of spray paint, mine was Tamiya, and once dried its hard as hell to clean with alchool.

3. Wingsbr

Wingsbr Christian TF Fan :)

News Credits:
    Agreed with Skywave and even if it's still wet, it's hard to take off. I also used tamiya sprays so I can attest to that.

4. JinSaotome

JinSaotome Banned

Ebay:
    I've tried a few different solvents and always turn back to Acetone for removing enamels like spraypaint and factory paint. It's tricky to use on hard plastics because it melts those easier than soft plastics, so be very quick and careful when removing paint from a TF.

Denatured Alcohol is something I haven't tried in a while, or don't remember trying if I did however. Don't use mineral spirits or paint thinner tho if you intend on repainting the figure because it will leave the plastic oily and I've never been able to propery repaint over the plastic afterwards, no matter how many times I wash it off. The paint seems to 'bead up' almost and leave spots.

5. catch22

catch22 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Personally, I'd just sandpaper it off if all else fails. Just use something really fine like 800 grit. Of course, I wouldn't do this on areas that have fine details, like the bot parts, but for the outer car parts it should be fine.

6. AutobotSDG

AutobotSDG Well-Known Member

Castrol Superclean in the purple jug. Soak the parts in it... time to soak will vary per part, but overnight is always a good timeframe, heheh. This will not remove the factory paint if there is any and will not harm the plastic.

Make sure you wear gloves when taking the parts out of the solution because the Superclean will eat the oils in your skin drying it out drastically to the point of severe cracking.

Use an old rag and a toothbrush for crevices and it should come right off.

Hope that helps.

7. Deceptichage

Deceptichage Decepticon Land Pirate

News Credits:
    If it's Krylon spray paint, soaking it in brake fluid overnight will work as well.

8. PurdueAV2003

PurdueAV2003 Engineer

News Credits:
    If you drink enough alcohol, you'll forget about the spray paint! :D 

Seriously, be careful with solvents and plastics. Plastics tend to react with mineral solvents, as Jin mentioned, leaving the surface unusable. Some are even strong enough melt some plastics! I agree with catch22, sanding is usually the safest route if you want to maintain structural integrity. I you do decide to use a solvent, test it on a small piece before you soak everything in it.