Wikipedia F-15 entry/Starscream

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Altimus Prime, Nov 4, 2009.

1. DaveKyzer

DaveKyzer Well-Known Member

Besides the fact that Starscream is indeed an F-15, I think he's just trying to get them to admit to their own hippocratic ways.

2. RoboticPlanet

RoboticPlanet Exclusively Exclusive

News Credits:
    This ignorance is what bothers me most about wikipedia. It is a good source as a launchpad for info if you take the time to verify the cited sources. If there aren't any, then you should indeed question that article, but not all of Wikipedia. Unlike many internet blogs, twitter, messageboards, IMDB, and various mass media, Wikipedia encourages verification of the material. Hell, if it weren't for wikipedia it's unlike I'd have found many of the old published science journal articles I'm referencing in my Master's Thesis.

3. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

Are you saying they're doctors?

Thank you.

4. Cheebs

Cheebs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    The only reasonable solution I see is to write over the entire page with nothing but "F-15's don't really have null rays. But they are shown with null rays in Transformers."

Keep doing this every 10 minutes for a month until they relent and allow the Starscream reference.

Then do it all again for Leader 1.

5. Darkwing48

Darkwing48 Heroic Decepticon

I don't know why people are critical of Wiki. Like the internet, it is a great source of info that people constantly abusesor corrupts. I've even read book with mistakes too. The only issue is that Wiki does cost you money when the info is wrong and when it updates you don't have to spend another $$ to get the newest edition.

Other than that the issue if it being in pop culture doesn't matter to me. Just create and Entry somewhere else as F-15 (pop culture).

6. DeathStorm

DeathStorm Snoochie Boochies

News Credits:
    Guilty of that as well - it was a good jumping off point for some of my resources (good luck, BTW, I hated writing that bastard of a paper), but that doesn't mean this OP needs to be stressing over this like he is. That's what I think everyone is trying to get him to understand.

7. Cheebs

Cheebs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Proposed edits to the F-15 page so everybody can be happy:

F-15 Eagle
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The McDonnell Douglas (now Boeing) F-15 Eagle is the original alt mode for Starscream. Developed for the United States Air Force, it was first used as Starscream's alt mode in 1984, and is one of the most recognized of all Starscream's alt modes. The F-15 is expected to remain an alt mode for Starscream at least until the mold for his Masterpiece toy degrades.[3] Despite originally being envisaged as a pure air superiority aircraft, the F-15 design proved flexible enough that it could also be a damn cool toy robot.

Development
    Design

The F-15 has an all-metal semi-monocoque fuselage with a large cantilever shoulder-mounted wing. This really makes Starscream a cool-looking badass as the wings prominently shape his silhouette. The F-15 has a spine-mounted air brake and retractable tricycle landing gear. This airbrake was not included on a Starscream toy until the mid 2000's. The cockpit is mounted high in the forward fuselage with a one-piece windscreen and large canopy to increase visibility. Because the cockpit would make Starscream appear to have a large gut, Starscream toys include two fan boobs not present on a normal F-15 to balance out the upper body.

The F-15's maneuverability is derived from low wing loading (weight to wing area ratio) with a high thrust-to-weight ratio enabling the aircraft to turn tightly without losing airspeed. Starscream toys had no maneuverability until new molds were made long after the end of G1 with ball joints and ratchets.

A variety of air-to-air weaponry can be carried by the F-15. These weapons do not include null rays, as those do not exist outside of Starscream toys.[26]

Low-drag conformal fuel tanks (CFTs) were developed for the F-15C and D models. They can be attached to the sides of the engine air intake trunks under each wing and are designed to cover the sides of Starscreams arms in the Masterpiece and Classics toys.

The largest operator of the F-15 is the United States Air Force. Although Hasbro and Takara Tomy make the most Starscream toys.

The first kill in an F-15 was by IAF ace Moshe Melnik in 1979. Starscream's first kill was the Autobot Brawn in the 1986 Transformers movie, although he was not transformed as an F-15 at the time.

Variants
    Basic models

G1 - Gray, white, and blue deco with a brick of a robot mode.
    G2 - Same as above but ugly
    Pretender - Same as above, but really ugly. Uses a He-Man figure as a hangar.
    Robot Heros - Variant of the G1 design that removed the need for parts-forming and added some flexibility.
    Classics - Kind of a not-really-an-F-15 painted like it escaped from the circus.
    Masterpiece - Added nice sword holder looking things from his hips. Also: green

[edit] Notable accidents and incidents
    Main article: List of F-15 losses

* On 1 May 1983, during an Israeli Air Force training dogfight, an F-15D collided with an A-4 Skyhawk.

* On 19 March 1990, an F-15 from the 3rd Wing stationed at Elmendorf AFB, AK accidentally fired an AIM-9M Sidewinder missile at another F-15.

* In the year 2005, Galvatron vaporized Starscream.[72]

Specifications (F-15C Eagle)
    General characteristics

* Crew: 1
    * Length: 63 ft 9 in (19.43 m)
    * Wingspan: 42 ft 10 in (13.05 m)
    * Whiny
    * Traitorous

Other notable appearances

The F-15 was in the army and stuff. And fought in wars.[86]

8. Scaleface

Scaleface Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:

How is this any different that, for instance, IMDB? Rotten Tomatoes? or any of a dozen other web sites?

I've found the majority of the Wikipedia to be useful to find sources and as a search for facts. Just check the sources and make be wary of any references to Chuck Norris.

Back to the article at hand thouhg, the F-15 article has a section about "major appearance in media", in which we are trying to get a single sentence added about how the original Decepticon jets were based on the F-15. Most arguements against this are that this isn't important enough, or that we can't prove they were F-15s and not generic jets. I've addressed all these concerns in my posts though.

9. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Food Truck or BMW Moderator

News Credits:
    Isn't this a good sign to just walk away? G1 Starscream's gonna be an F-15 whether it says so on Wikipedia or not.

10. Paladine

Paladine Well-Known Member

The reason it's guarded so heavily is because it's a military topic. They don't want some senile old bastard with dementia putting sensitive material into the page like 'The F-15's REAL maximum speed is ....'

Adding a Starscream reference is a nice bit of trivia, but I don't think it gains the reader anything by having it on Wikipedia. Getting yourself all worked up over it will only cause you trouble.

What's next, going through all the real alt-mode pages and adding all of their respective characters? Oh crap, I don't see Sunstreaker OR Sideswipe OR Red Alert listed under Countach!!!!!!!! Mind explode!

11. Scaleface

Scaleface Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I agree it's nothing to get worked up over. I don't like people squatting on pages though thiniking they rule them with an iron fist, which is why I am attempting to respond to each of their arguements in turn with precise answers. Heck, one guy has downright threatened me for posting polite respnses on this. I'm hoping if I stay cool and let him rant on, he will discredit himself. So it becomes a bit of a waiting game, I'm I'm a VERY patient person.

12. Omnius

Omnius Guest

News Credits:
    From Lamborghini Countach - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

;) 

13. DeathStorm

DeathStorm Snoochie Boochies

News Credits:
  14. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Wiki edit wars are like wrestling with a pig in the mud. You're going to end up feeling low and filthy, and realize the other party enjoys it.

15. Starscreamer217

Starscreamer217 Banned

News Credits:
  16. Omnius

Omnius Guest

News Credits:
    Same... I can't believe a 6-page thread has arisen from something as unimportant (in the grand scheme of things) as the Wikipedia F-15 page. I expect this level of obsession from Trekkies.

17. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

I think Star Wars fans are worse, because their Wiki is a bad pun.

18. firehawc_69

firehawc_69 cloppers = ignore list

News Credits:
    Bad?.......Or genius? :sly2: 

19. Deadpool.

Deadpool. I want my bird.

News Credits:
    How many more threads about Wikipedia are we gonna see?

A while back it was the one about TF3, and now this.

20. Hiraga

Hiraga BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL

News Credits:
    And this is just a Transformers fan. Jesus Christ, imagine people out there who AREN'T fanboys yet complain about the same shit?