Wikipedia F-15 entry/Starscream

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Altimus Prime, Nov 4, 2009.

1. Altimus Prime

Altimus Prime Shift perceptions

I have resisted the urge to bring this issue here, but it's gotten to the point where I feel I should.

Put simply, there is a glaring inconsistency at Wikipedia regarding mentioning Transformers in "notable media appearances" for the F-15, which we all know was the form used by the iconic Starscream, among others, in the original Transformers cartoon/comics/toys/etc. When it comes to a notable media appearance, I can't think of anything more notable than that. Yet it has been excluded.

Now, I'm not doing this because I'm a "Transfan." There's an inconsistency here.

The inconsistency comes in that Transformers is noted in the entry for the F-22, and the use of the F-14 in Robotech is included on the page for the F-14. The editors of those pages apparently have no problem with those references.

However, there appears to be a handful of what come off as arrogant, elitist "editors" who have decided that it is beneath them to allow Transformers to be mentioned on the F-15 page. Check out the discussion page for the F-15 entry and you'll see what I mean. I have challenged them repeatedly to address the inconsistency, but they have never done so, which can only lead to the conclusion that they can not defend their position because it is indefensible. They hide behind their Wikipedia "rules" about consensus and other bs.

It is my opinion that a sentence mentioning that the F-15 was used in Transformers needs to be added to the notable media appearances for the F-15, or such references need to be removed from the F-14 and F-22 pages. The references for the other planes have not been removed.

I haven't said anything here that I haven't said there.

I would encourage well-minded people to take up this issue. Add to the discussion, edit the page. It is open to public editing. It is not vandalism. Include as many citations and references as you can. If you are versed in Wikipedia usage, so much the better. Don't resort to name calling, flaming, foul language. Take the high road. With any luck, we can get this fixed.

2. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    *Reads "Wikipedia*

*Decides not to care*

3. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

I always wondered who the people were who managed to get so worked up over inane details on Wikipedia pages. Now I know.

4. ryan.j

ryan.j Well-Known Member

wikipedia editors are the single greatest threat mankind faces today.

5. DeathStorm

DeathStorm Snoochie Boochies

News Credits:
    So why don't you just change it? Wiki pages are allowed to be editted by anyone. It doesn't need to be discussed or approved by editors - just put the reference in there. Problem solved.

Better yet, stop stressing over it because it's Wikipedia. It's not a reliable source for anything.

6. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Go do something Transformers-y. That'll take your mind off it.

7. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Wikipedia editors having a different opinion of what belongs on a certain page? What a new and revolting development.

8. Takeout

Takeout Mistress of the Night

Wow, no way?

You know, some people have a name for this. Beating the dead horse.

9. ryan.j

ryan.j Well-Known Member

According to wikipedia it's 'flogging'.

I have edited the article's talk page, marked it for deletion and started a thread on my animal punching forum about it.

10. RoboticPlanet

RoboticPlanet Exclusively Exclusive

News Credits:
    Read the wikipedia discussion...and I really don't care either way, though the editors have a point: IRL, Transformers isn't a big deal.

A few characters that happen to be F-15's, memorable mostly to those who are already fans, don't represent the entire franchise anyway.

11. ninety

ninety NERDS!!

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

12. Altimus Prime

Altimus Prime Shift perceptions

I have changed it. It was changed back.

And you're right, it's not a reliable source, precisely because just anyone can go and put up anything. And then when you see so-called "editors" pulling the kind of stuff I've seen on this issue, and it drives home how completely unreliable and untrustworthy that site is.

But it's scary how often people take whatever they "read on the Internet" as true, such as giving people's blogs the same weight as newspapers. sigh

13. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    Depends on the blogs, of course. I know some blogs that ARE more reliable than some newspapers.

Takes a lot of experience to tell the difference, though.

14. Scaleface

Scaleface TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I have some experience in this. There are organized groups who maintain the wikipedia pages devoted to milirary equipment like Aircraft and ships. They have self-created guidelines about the inclusing of "popular culture" references in the Wikipedia articles. I think the basic standard is that it has to be important to the vehicle to the general public. Therefore a big budget movie that spotlights or introduces a military vehicle will get a mention in the article. For instance the F-22 was shown in the 2007 movie prominantly, with cooperation of the military, liscensed, etc. So it gets mentioned. The fact that some japanese toy from 1984 looks like an F-15 is NOT looked on as favorably by those editors. They don't want the Wiki page turning into a list of trivia. G1 Starscream didn't make the F-15 notable in the public eye they way the 2007 movie made the F-22 famous in the public eye, or so they say.

I don't say I agree with their calls, but that seems to be their reasoning.

I've added a ton of car, boat and jet references to Wikipedia myself, most of it gets removed, some stays. Mostly depends on if some other self-appointed-guardian editor gets a bug up his butt to revert you.

You might have more luck if the F-15 model had been liscensed for Starscream by hasbro. It was not.

I suppose we could start some sort of organized effort to get the F-15 to mention Transformers, but since many Transformers fans actively dislike Wikipedia, it might be difficult.

15. SpicyRichter

SpicyRichter Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You'll never win. Those military types are usually bigger geeks than even us, and you know how cliquish WE can get.

16. Dran0n

Dran0n Junk male

News Credits:
    I'm done with Wikipedia. I've edited Wiki so it says Armada Sparkplug was eaten by George Washington.

17. BurnedAlive

BurnedAlive Horrorcon

18. Scaleface

News Credits:
    I just added it a few minutes ago and cited an article from MSNBC about Starscream being an F-15 before he was an F-22. Don't know how long it will take for them to revert it. Probably 5 to 6 minutes.

19. Scaleface

News Credits:
    You already have several warnings on your talk page about nonsense like that, and I'm one of the people who reverts vandalism to Wikipedia pages. I'm NOT one of those jerks who deletes things as because it's too "trivial" for them, but I to revert blatant nonsense daily.

That edit about Sparkplug got reverted as vandalism about 7 minutes after you posted it. Wikipedia is usually pretty good about removing blatant vandalism. I have most of the Transformers articles on a watchlist myself and revert any nonsense that creeps in daily.

20. Dran0n

Dran0n Junk male

News Credits:
    Seriously? Wow. Did know we had anyone from Wikipedia on here. I'll stop just for you ;)