wii, xbox360 or ps3??

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by iheartarcee, Nov 7, 2007.

1. iheartarcee

iheartarcee Idonotheartbeastwars

Which is best? What do you like about each one if you have them? I am thinking about getting a new system and I want some advice!!

2. pinoy78

pinoy78 Shoji Kawamori having FUN

Is this flamebait?

Each system has their pros and cons.

I only have a Wii though.

EAGERLY anticipating Super Mario Galaxy.

3. TJOmega

TJOmega The Plastic Addict Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Wii is good for innovative and unique games and it's control system lets anyone get into a game. 360 is good if you prefer playing online and want an HD system. PS3 is good if you want more powerful games and BluRay movies. It really depends on the kind of gamer you are.

Personally I like the Wii, it has some solid and unique titles now and there's three off the top of my head that should be great coming soon. (Mario Galaxy, NiGHTS, Smash Bros Brawl) And it won't kill your finances, inexpensive system means you can afford more games as soon as you buy it.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2007
  4. Scrappy

Scrappy smiling a blacktooth grin

It depends on what you like playing.

PS3 - Prices are coming down. No Backwards Compatibility on newer models. Plays Blu-Ray (if that's your thing). Japanese developers favor RPG type games.

Xbox - $50 cheaper than the lowest PS3 package. Mostly American Developers favor first person shooter games along with action adventures. No HD DVD built in but it's not a big deal. 3 Models, Elite, Premium, and Arcade/core. Stay away from the Arcade/core. No HDD, comes with a wired controller, just lame. Also lots of great games to choose from. Some Backwards compatibility.

Wii - Not fond of this one really. It's basically a Gamecube with a gimmick control. Lack of games and the motion sensing gets annoying for shooters. Nintendo seems to be favoring more "non-game" type applications.

Honestly it's all personal preference. I say go out there and try all those demo kiosks you can. See which one you feel like better.

I was a PS2 user last generation. Loved the games and everything but Sony just dropped the ball on this one. Late start, bad games so far, and a last minute gimmick controller scheme.

5. iheartarcee

no flame bait.. if you have one of the systems just tell me about what you like and dislike about it. geez.

6. seven

seven RIP Poopers 4-1993/5-2008

Arcade systems come with a memory card and a wireless controller.

Depends on what type of gamer really. Honestly you can go to a store and try out the demos and decide whats best for your gaming style

Casual/Party go with a Wii.

Hardcore/Shooter/Racer/Friends own one/and a wide variety of available choices go with a 360. Its home networking features are pretty awsome (streaming music/video from a computer).

Tech Savy/Hardcore/Patient (most games are now hitting PS3 day one as their 360 counterparts though)/Loyal to PS brands (Final Fantasy, God of War, Ratchet) I'd go with a PS3, its library is quickly filling up and its online service is making its slow turn around to match Xbox Live. It also has video streaming and saving capabilities too.

I own a 360 and a Wii. My Wii is pretty useless unless my sister and nephews come over, I own two games for it and one came with the system. My 360 gets a work out. Myself and my wife use it as a media hub to play video saved on my computer through our living room. Its also perfect for me since I enjoy FPS and 3PS games as well as racers and online play is a large factor for me. The friends list integration is awsome and keeps me secretley competative with people on it since almost every game has some form of online leaderboard. I've used a PS3 second hand and I can say overall its a very nice system it just lacks the amount of quality games and polish that the 360 and Live have. The 360 did have a year lead to get things going though and this winters PS3 games are finally starting to show what the console is really about. Warhawk is by far one of my favorite games and has tempted me to search out a used 60 gig console on more than one occasion.

7. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Depends on your situation.

I would say the 360 has the best games right now (it certainly has the most) followed by the Wii and then the PS3.

The 360 has a lot of going for it software wise. It also has the best online component right now -no one else even comes close.

The Wii is great for games made by Nintendo, but a lot of third party games are suspect (but not all).

Playstation 3 is hitting its stride. It can play Blu-ray movies and the online component will be more comprehensive next year.

I don't think you would go wrong with any of them, but if you are buying it for a chlid under 10, I would not recommend the PS3. (No one flame me for this please. I am merely stating that the PS3 currently has the smallest volume of games for kids under 10. It's a statement of fact)

8. e3nine

e3nine Poop.

News Credits:
    different strokes for different folks ... and you have an undefined "stroke".

Me =
    28 / M
    is project manager
    grew up on video games
    owns every console to date
    no kids

The Wii is a completely different machine than the 360 or PS3.

Wii:
    I see this as more of an electronic board game. The majority of the games have low learning curves and feature titles that are fantastic for social situations.

The controller (Wii-mote) is a very nice innovation, but the novelty wears thin after the initial "ooh and ahh". Some titles function well with the scheme ... some are forced.

The graphics are sub-par when compared to the competition though. It's a significant drop off too. When going from Wii-Sports to Halo 3, the feel of a more traditional game is much appreciated.

The Wii is a game machine, the end. As much as people say, "that's what I want" ... trust me, the added features like hard drives, downloadable content, media streaming, HD movie capabilities, and HD outputs are a part of the times.

As innovative as the remote is, the Wii is archaic in other facets.

At the end of the day, the Wii is a system I don't regret purchasing ... but it hasn't gotten much use, period.

People will argue that the $250 price point is awesome ... but what good is a cost effective console that doesn't get used?

9. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I have all 3 here's my take on it.

Wii

I have always been quite a big Nintendo fan (or fanboy if that suits you). I was one of the many who waited 10 hours out in the cold for it to buy it at the midnight launch. I absolutely loved the thing at first, as most did. But after a while it did just end up sitting there. Sometimes the system feels almost as though it is purely a novelty. Sometimes when I play a game I don't want to move around a bit, and some of the "Wii controls" feel like contrived after thoughts that don't actually seem to work well.

On the other hand there is not only alot of great titles out for it already, but many more coming down the pipeline. Add to that the Virtual Console which allows downloads (for a fee) of titles from certain systems from the past, it allows for many gaming possibilities. I have recently gotten back into Wii gaming when I picked up several new titles. I still have plenty of older ones to go back and play as well. And the system is great for get togethers when company comes over.

I really don't like how I keep hearing that this system is good only if you like online play, but unfortunately that does seem to be a major aspect for this console. As many on my friend's list will know, I am very rarely playing online. I think I can count on 1 hand how many times I have played a game over LIVE. I DO however love some of the online aspects. But this system still seems to be the main online heavyweight, and that is most likely because it's had a bit more time out there and more people own it.

This is probably the system I play the most. If a game comes out multiplatform I buy it on the 360. Why? Achievement points. They've become a crutch, which is good to have something on the system that gets me to play a little bit more, but its also a bit silly. The points do nothing, they mean nothing, but if I have a chance to get some I will. It's merely a case of Microsoft taking advantage of my compulsive nature. Cheeky bastards.

PS3

This one was the newest to my collection, the system I own the least games for, and the one I play the least.

I will admit, that it is a pretty solid system. I love the fact that the online aspect is free, and I love the Blu Ray player. There isn't much going for the system right now which is unfortunate, because the system has alot of potential. The PS3 suffers dearly from not having many exclusive titles to support it, but that is starting to turn around now.

By the time Home rolls out it will definitely have a new online aspect to compete with what Microsoft offers with their online profiles. Hopefully by this time next year Sony will be doing well enough to provide some competition in the marketplace to force everyone to keep on their toes and keep putting out great innovative games.

My opinion is if you want to get online and play with your friends right now, then get the 360 because that is probably what they own. If you dig Nintendo then get that, and wait on the PS3. All 3 are fantastic systems, but unfortunately the Wii can feel too cumbersome sometimes. Gaming differently with the Wii can be alot of fun, but sometimes I am just not in the mood. The PS3 is great, but it just isn't ready yet...give it a little more time, once Home, Little Big Planet, and MGS4 are out then give it another glance, because it should start showing up in more homes by then.

10. DX7879

DX7879 Captain of Strawhats

I only have a 360 and Wii. Although I tend to play my 360 more, if I could only pick one system to keep I would pick the Wii. It all depends on the type of games you like though. I bought a Wii for the purpose of Smash Bros. Brawl, but along the way played a lot of other good games that I do not regret buying such as Metroid Prime. All the Wii games I bought I have finished, and I currently own 5. I'm not going to count Wii sports since you can't beat it. Wii sports can also be entertaining, my friends loved it, but I didn't play it as much as them.

If you have high speed internet, and don't mind paying $50, one game for the 360 can last you a long time, since you can continue to play online even when you're done with it. As of now, I have only really played 3 out of the 6 360 games I own (as in beat the game, and spend a lot of time with it).

I don't have a PS3, but I'll probably get one eventually. It has free and decent onlie, and is a cheap blu-ray player. I don't buy movies too often, but if you do then this will be good for HD movies. The only reason I don't really want a PS3 right now, is because nothing really interest me enough to buy it. Even when MGS4 comes out, since I'm not interested in it. Also, a lot of the good PS3 games comes out on the 360 too.

In the end, it all depends on what type of games you like. Myself, I have always loved most of Nintendo's first party games, and the Wii has quite a few good 3rd party games too.

11. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    The Wii is Twice as powerful as the Gamecube was. basically, you can make games for the Wii that will look the same as 360 or PS3 unless you have HD. That's the big difference maker in graphics. If you don't have an HD TV, then that's a moot point. I will admit that there's been a lot of 3rd party games made that they were lazy as hell on their graphics though.

MP3 is a badassed and a beautiful game. Twilight Princess is the same. Wii sports is awesome to play with friends. The VC has hundreds of old NES, SNES, Genesis and TurboGraphix games on it, and several from the N64 and are now starting to get NeoGeo games too. Mario Galaxy comes out next week, then there's RE:Chronicles and Smash Bros and quite a few other sweet cames coming. Medal of Honor: Heroes 2 looks like its going to be a winner too.

12. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Sorry to argue -and I agree with every other thing you said, but the Wii just can not push the graphics that the 360 and the PS3 can -regardless of native resolution. It just can't.

That's not to say that there won't be games with "WOW" graphics for the Wii, there already are.

13. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

This won't end well...

360 fo life, yo... or until the next best thing comes along.

14. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Never does.

15. DX7879

DX7879 Captain of Strawhats

There are some crappy looking 360 games out there, that the best Wii games easily tops.

Think of it this way though for Wii Graphics. It's stronger than the original Xbox, and the Xbox had some kickass graphics, and the best graphics last gen. Now imagine the possibilities. Sure the Wii overall has the worse graphics out of the 3, but you can't really say a game like Metroid Corrupiton looks bad

16. pscoop

pscoop Dead inside

News Credits:
    I'm impressed with everyone being so civil so far. There have been some good, well thought out points brought up.

17. iheartarcee

ya! some great comments so far! I really appreciate it.. keep it coming! they are a big investment

18. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Banned

I couldn't pick one. For me it's the Wii and 360.

19. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    Ok, Ill no longer go into why I would say no to the Wii and just say that I dont find interest in it. If you want to play with others online, want some cool community fun and have a good selection of games that get you achievement (crack) points then go for xbox. If you want a Blue Ray player, have PS2 games that you still want and are type for playing solo then go for PS3

20. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I wouldn't really group the Wii in with the 360/PS3. Out of the two standard gaming systems, I would like to go with the 360, but thanks to God of War being a Sony exclusive I know that I'm going to have to end up going with the PS3.