Wii-ware: Rumor or Truth?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Omega Supreme-1, Jun 27, 2007.

1. Omega Supreme-1

Omega Supreme-1 Autobot Sentinel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    http://blog.newsweek.com/blogs/levelup/archive/2007/06/26/level-up-exclusive-on-nintendo-wiiware.aspx

Patience is a virtue, a wise man once said, and nowhere is this more true than the circumstances surrounding the story we're about to bring you right now. A month or so before the March Game Developers Conference, Nintendo's PR agency approached us about a hush-hush new content initiative that the company had been cooking up, and wanted to know whether or not we'd be interested in being the first to get the lowdown. We were. But GDC came and went without any more information. From then on, we'd check in with Nintendo from time to time, but no new information was forthcoming, not even about when new information might be forthcoming. So we began to despair. But on Monday, the folks at Golin Harris PR reached out to us again to inform us that the time was now, that the offer was still on the table, and that Nintendo of America president Reginald Fils-Aime would be available to speak with us Tuesday afternoon. We spoke with him, and here's what we learned.

On Wednesday morning, Nintendo will officially announce to the general public its plans for WiiWare, downloadable games for the wildly popular Wii videogame console. Unlike the vintage games already being offered for legacy systems (i.e. Nintendo Entertainment System, Super Nintendo Entertainment System, Nintendo 64, Sega Genesis and TurboGrafx 16) through the Virtual Console, these games will be built specifically for the Wii and sold via the Wii Shop Channel for Wii Points currency, much like the Xbox 360- and Playstation 3-specific games being sold on Xbox Live Arcade and Playstation Network.

What's more interesting is that Nintendo isn't only seeking WiiWare from established publishers and developers like Ubisoft and Sega. At a Nintendo developer's conference earlier this week, the company informed attendees that it was seeking from indie developers as well. Shorter, original, more creative games from small teams with big ideas; these are the buzzwords that you'll be hearing from Nintendo when its Wednesday announcement goes wide. Fils-Aime told us that while Nintendo, as the retailer, would itself determine the appropriate pricing for each game on a per-title bases, the games themselves would not be vetted by Nintendo. Instead, Nintendo would only check the games for bugs and compatibility, with developers and publishers responsible for securing an E for Everyone, E10+ for Everyone 10 or older, T for Teen or M for Mature rating from the Entertainment Software Rating Board--Adults Only titles like Manhunt 2 aren't welcome. Look for the first WiiWare titles from Nintendo and third-parties to become available next year. And check back shortly with Level Up for more details on our conversation with Fils-Aime.

2. bugmenot

bugmenot Banned

This won't work unless there's a hardrive released.

3. jdre_124

jdre_124 Super Dick

News Credits:
    Agreed. Unless they can some how really shrink those games down, you wont get past 8 games most likely. 10 games if you dont have anything on your Wii yet.

4. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Why do you say that? Have you seen how much space an N64 game actually takes up on the Wii's internal memory?

they could always do a firmware update to let downloaded games run off the SD card too. easy 1-2GB storage right there.

Any hardware released as an "option" is never fully embraced. if they release a hard drive seperately, it'll go the way of the PS2 HDD, the Sega CD, and the 32X. few people will buy the thing, so few devs will support it.

5. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    So now Nintendo copies the PS3 which copied the 360. Funny old world ain't it?

6. Samana Rombuca

Samana Rombuca Well-Known Member

In this particular case, how is that wrong? Wii is exploiting their online service with content consumers enjoy and want. I don't care for 6-axis or a ps2-mote, etc, etc. This is more viable.

7. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    They didnt copy the PS3. This is copying the 360.

8. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Wii-Sixty Live Arcade anyone?
    Whoever copied whom, if there are good games that arrive from the idea, then bring them on!

9. 03Mach1

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It's not. I just find it ironic that Nintendo is doing the very same thing that many Sony haters claim Sony did when they announced the Sixaxis controller and it's motiion capabilities.

10. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    nintendo isnt doing the same thing.

Sony threw in the motion sensing as a last minute addition before E3, and most developers like Hideo Kojima didnt even know it was in there until E3 when we found out. you can open a PS3 controller and see how badly tacked on it is.

this at least takes throught and actual effort to implement. we've known for quite a while that this was coming. it wasnt rushed out immediately after another company announced it to try and steal some of the spotlight away.

11. funkatron101

funkatron101 TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I agree. Many of this knew this was coming before the Wii was even released. I think it was rumored when the VC was first announced.

12. 03Mach1

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The timeframe is irrelevant. Nintendo is implementing a marketplace-type system where a user can download original games from big companies and indie ones, alike. Something both Microsoft and Sony already have. Whether or not Nintendo was 'working on it' or not is a non issue. At least that's how Sony was perceived previously when it's announcement was made. But somehow it's different when Nintendo does it. Curious.

And for the record, I think Nintendo would be foolish not to keep up with the Joneses. I just think the double standards around here (when it comes to Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft) are off the chart.

13. Tigran

Tigran Well-Known Member

Of coursed this was actually mentioned back when the Wii was unveiled... So even that doesn't work.

14. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

360 copied Steam!!!1:throw 

Seriously, this is neither new nor is it necessarily copying. I remember hearing about Nintendo doing this ever since the Wii was first announced. Its only now that they're actually talking about launching it. And calling digital distribution "copying" in this day and age is like calling Nintendo copying back in 1985 for selling their games in stores.

All that said, good for the indie developers. I look forward to any new, original, and great games that come out of this.

15. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

Didn't take long for this to turn into a Sony vs. Nintendo vs. Microsoft thread. You've all splendidly exceeded my expectations. Bravo!

16. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Hey, don't misunderstand me. I said that they're copying the 360. they're not copying the PS3 because you don't copy the copier.

its just not the "same thing" or as bad as the PS3 motion sensing thing. this actually involves some thought. sony's horribly sloppy last minute use of tilt sensors did not. the sensor in the PS3 controller is actually hanging by a wire from the main board.

17. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

Where's my commendation for bringing the PC into all of this?

18. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    I like new downloadable content. I hope the pricing is reasonable, and maybe some demos will be provided.

19. Omega Supreme-1

Omega Supreme-1 Autobot Sentinel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
  20. My03Tundra

My03Tundra LOVES TO EDIT POSTS!!

Ebay:
    I think, from people I've talked to about such a service, there is MUCH more then meets the eye on the WiiWare service. I forsee later down the line a hardware kit for the DS to enable wireless download play for some titles, and wirless upload. It is doable over WiFi direct between DS and Wii, all the DS would need is an expansion card in the Gameboy slot for SD memory cards.