Wii Virtual Console controller support

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by OmegaScourge, Nov 19, 2006.

1. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

Really? I'm totally the opposite. I think the N64 controller was the best I've ever played.

2. toma

toma eskimo in disguise

i always felt like the n64 controller was made for people with 3 hands.

3. Blackstar

Blackstar TFW2005 Supporter

I finally found a Classic Controller last night, and I caved and bought it, even though it can't play Gamecube games. I really like the look of it and it plays well (tried it out with Simcity and Legend of Zelda.) The only thing that threw me though is that it's really really really light. And you have to plug it into the Wiimote to use it and the Wiimote just sits and does nothing. Oh well.

4. Xcandescent

Xcandescent TRUKKS are the new MUNKYS

It was, really. Either you could use the D-pad, or use the analog stick -- but never both at the same time.

It was interesting (and the trigger kicked ass for Goldeneye), but it's far from the best controller ever. More of a noble experiment.

-XCN-

5. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Actually, you could, and some games required that you did. It means giving up the A, B, and C buttons though. Bangaioh used this, and it worked incredibly well.

Basically, the concept was that you had three components to the controller, and you could use any two of them at one time, depending on the needs of the game. As it is, most modern controllers aren't much different in practice. It's not all that easy to quickly switch between the D-pad or the action buttons and the stick that's next to either of them. Likewise, I find using the analog sticks on the PS2 or the D-pad and C-stick on the Gamecube moderately uncomfortable because of their position. The N64 neatly avoided that problem.

6. Xcandescent

Xcandescent TRUKKS are the new MUNKYS

Oh yeah, forgot about that.

And when did Bangai-O get an N64 release?!?! Japan-only? Because I MUST have that! That game needs dual digital sticks so badly ... but one stick is better than none (i.e. Dreamcast)

I disagree. It's easy enough to *switch* (just move your thumb) -- but you can still only use one at a time.

-XCN-

7. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Can you use the GC controller for Wii Zelda?

Can't wait to get both! Z:OoT was one of the best games I've ever played

8. Mike

Mike Banned

Ebay:
    ugh, I hate the N64 controller, and all the little analog sticks break too easily. they wear out, then don't work very well

I thought the wavebird controller was perfect!! :)  And the xbox 360 controlelr is just as perfect.

9. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

sadly, you cant.

10. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

Nope. But once you spend about 15 minutes with Zelda on the Wii Remote and Nunchuk, you'll forget all about the gamecube controller. It's great.

11. mrhillz

mrhillz Changed his user title. TFW2005 Supporter

Can you save GC games using the hard drive? Or do you have to have a GC memory card to do so?

12. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Japanese release only. Not as pretty as the Dreamcast version, but it plays much better.
    I just find the reaching awkward, uncomfortable, and cumbersome. Either the sticks are too far away from the alternate controls and I have to change my grip on the pad to make it comfortable, or they're too close together and I'll end up bumping the stick when I'm trying to mash buttons.

13. OmegaScourge

just found out that you can't use the classic controller to play GC games...

14. OmegaScourge

Anyone d/l any games yet....how long did it take (for TG-16, Genesis, NES, SNES, N64)

15. peeman

peeman Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    can u use the classic controller on any normal wii games?

jason

16. Rhinox

Rhinox We bring surreal to life

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If the box says you can use the classics controller with the game, then you can. If it doesn't, then probably no.

17. Cy-Kill

Cy-Kill Slackers unite...tomorrow

The downloads are pretty quick. NES Zelda took less than a minute as I recall, and Genesis Sonic took about 1 1/2-2 minutes, if that.

The download progress bar on the screen is the best, as your progress is represented by a very Super Mario Bros.-looking Mario running across the screen, collecting coins and squishing enemies.