Wii USB internet Thingy

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by wikkiddavis, Nov 23, 2007.

1. wikkiddavis

wikkiddavis The wikkid man

News Credits:
    Can someone tell me how this thing works do I somehow log onto it via my internet and download the Virtual Consoles onto it or am I missing something.

PS I don't own one yet but im looking into it sence I don't got any other way to get the virtual console or Wii Channels

2. Bendimus Prime

Bendimus Prime Rolls for initiative TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    There are three different ways to get your Wii on to the Internet:

#1. You have a wireless router in your house. From here, you just configure the Wii to connect to the specific router, and you're good to go.

#2. You get the Nintendo WiFi Adaptor. This lets you turn a PC in your house into a WiFi gateway for the Wii and DS. You set that up on a Windows-based machine that's connected to the internet, and then point the Wii to that unit.

#3. You get the Wii USB LAN Adaptor. This adds a USB to LAN unit to your Wii, which you then have to run a LAN cable to the Wii, and then plug it into a wired router.

Most of the setup is pretty painless. The Wii uses WPA security (which the DS unfortunately does not), and runs with the 802.11b wireless standard. The Wii will detect your wireless devices, and then you just input any passwords that you have setup to gain access to the device.

3. wikkiddavis

News Credits:
    Oh I see so bassically I might as well Just buy the Wifi Adapter so my PC is the hotspot and just MOve my Wii Near My Computer in order to get on. Thats not that bad of a thing. But I have a Satelite Connection I don't really see why I couldnt just get the Nintendo Wifi Adapter and run it from my computer.

4. BetaSword

BetaSword Well-Known Member

Well, actually, i would prefer the USB-LAN-Adapter for the Wii, since it's the most reliable connection-method, using a LAN-Cable.

btw, I'm gonna get myself a Wii too, at the beginning of next year(usually, on January 3rd&4th, one store is offering almost everything 20%off, so i'll save quite some money)

5. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    you don't need to move your Wii close to your computer. the wifi adapter (which was just discontinued, so hurry up if you want it) will work within 30 feet.

6. flywheels

flywheels Decepticon Assault Team Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I was getting ready to say that the Wii doesn't support the USB WiFi adapter...but Valkysas beat me to it.

7. wikkiddavis

News Credits:
    Wut you mean it doesnt work anymore? I take it one of the updates removed the option or it just don't work anymore?

Wut does the end of a lan Cable look like I wanna see if its compadible with my Satelete box thing.

Thanks alot for yours guys help I really want that damn virtual console.

8. domientius

domientius Well-Known Member

The LAN adaptor uses a standard ethernet cable. Ideally you'd plug your PC and Wii into your router, but if you don't have a router, you can plug it directly intot he modem.

With wireless you have to configure the system and such. Plugging into the modem, I didn't have to do anything.

9. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    the wifi adapter works fine with the Wii, I use it myself. it's just discontinued. they arent making it any more.

10. domientius

domientius Well-Known Member

They probably cut production to spare themselves the hassle of coming up with Vista install drivers.

If anyone needs one, I'm selling mine. $15, package opened, all stuff included, basically new.

11. flywheels

flywheels Decepticon Assault Team Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    My Wii doesn't even recognize the WiFi adapter anymore. It worked fine months ago, but when I finally got my new game room set up I tried to take the Wii back on-line to download some new VC games and it wouldn't work. I went to Nintendo's page to trouble shoot the problem and I found out that the USB adapter has been discontinued until further notice. I finally was able to configure the Wii to pick up the wireless signal in the house so I don't need the USB adapter anymore. I have no idea if they aren't manufacturing it anymore, but it doesn't work w/ the Wii. Nintendo themselves are suggesting using a standard wireless router or their LAN adapter.

http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/wii/en_na/onlineUSB.jsp

12. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    the reason its discontinued likely has something to do with the deal between nintendo and buffalo, the company that makes the adapter. I used to have my Wii and DS connecting to my wireless network through a wireless router that's downstairs, but I get a much better signal with the adapter. it's possible the reason it no longer works for you is because of your new game room setup. the adapter's manual explains that other electronic devices located between it and the Wii/DS can block the signal.

13. bugmenot

bugmenot Banned

I have my Wii in a different room and it reaches fine. Just make sure there isn't too many walls in between the 2.

14. Jarodimus

Jarodimus the guy with that scan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I use the USB Wi-Fi adapter, too, and it works great... MOST of the time.

First, any time the PC gets turned off without my knowledge (i.e., by my wife) and I try to connect, it (obviously) doesn't work. However, once I discover the PC's off and turn it back on, it usually STILL won't connect, and I have to go through removing and redoing the connection set-up on the Wii before it'll work again. It's like it can't find the adapter's signal if it's already tried once and failed.

Second, for reasons I have yet to uncover, my PC occasionally decides to try to make the adapter into a different type of LAN device, which, of course, doesn't work. The adapter's indicator light stops blinking at those times, and the Wii can't connect. When then happens, I can usually get around it by disabling and re-enabling the connection in my PC's Control Panel. Sometimes, though, I end up just having to reboot the PC.

Any chance either of those could be your problem, flywheels? (And has anyone else had those problems?)

15. Deszaras

Deszaras In the next episode...

Sounds like you need a clean reinstall of the drivers. The correct install process is to put the install disc in, then plug in the USB wifi when it asks and then it'll install the correct drivers when the computer detects it.

I have found that the wifi driver service runs in the background so that might be causing the problem.. you could try turning the computer off, plug the USB device in, turn it on and you may or may not need to run the software..

16. Jarodimus

News Credits:
    Deszaras, if you're addressing me, I tried re-installing the first time the problem happened -- it's still happened a few times since. (And, yes, I did it in the correct order, as I tend to read instructions for things. :p )

17. Deszaras

Deszaras In the next episode...

Yeah, I was addressing you Jarodimus :) 

Not sure what else I can say to help, but I find the device to be flaky as well, although I had not run into issues, but have read a lot of problems on Nintendo's boards.

18. Jarodimus

News Credits:
    Not to worry, Deszaras. It's frustrating for about 5 minutes each time it happens, but, fortunately, it's not all that often.

Another weird bit I just remembered is that, once in a while, the Wii nickname that's shown in the adapter application window gets replaced by what appears to be kanji. :confused:  Doesn't affect the connectivity, though.