Wii Troubleshooting Help

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Moroni Prime, Dec 13, 2009.

1. Moroni Prime

Moroni Prime #TFYLP Podcast

News Credits:
  2. Omega Supreme-1

Omega Supreme-1 Autobot Sentinel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Have you tried to see if it happens with the Christmas tree turned off? Also, have you checked your settings to see if maybe the sensor bar was set to being above the TV despite that it's positioned below the TV?

3. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    I knew what your problem was and how to fix it the second your video started.

its the christmas tree.

the lights are interfering with the IR lights on the sensor bar.

the wii remote thinks you have a massive pile of sensor bars to the right of your TV.

I guarantee thats what it is.

4. Deathx360

Deathx360 Farewell Dear Friend

News Credits:
    Did the problem start when you put the Christmas tree up? I think light can interfere with the sensor bar so having the tree so close to the Wii could be the problem. I had a problem like that when I had a neighbors sensor bar near mine while I was gifting games to there system since they didn't have wifi or points on there system. It could be that the tree lights are acting like another sensor bar. Other than that I don't see anything outwardly wrong.

5. toma

toma eskimo in disguise

i agree. it's the christmas tree. i have a chandelier in the room next to my wii and if i point the wii towards that room instead of the tv i can play using the chandelier. it's pretty neat.

6. Thorns2010

Thorns2010 Well-Known Member

I too think it would be the christmas tree light, but you did say its been happening for at least a month...........

Please tell me you haven't had your tree up that long!

7. Moroni Prime

Moroni Prime #TFYLP Podcast

News Credits:
    No, it is not the tree, this has been happening since early November, before thanksgiving.

8. Thorns2010

Thorns2010 Well-Known Member

From Nintendo's site

Cursor is off-center, jerky, erratic, disappears, etc.

* Verify that the Wii Remote's pointer lens is free of obstructions and contamination (stickers, heavy smudges, etc.). The pointer lens is the tinted rectangle at the end of the Wii Remote. If the Wii Remote Jacket is being used, verify that it's securely in place on the Wii Remote. If the Wii Remote Jacket is askew, it might be partially blocking the infra-red sensor on the front of the Wii Remote.

* Try a new set of batteries. Occasionally weak batteries can cause this type of behavior.

* Reset the Wii Remote:

1. Take the batteries out of the Wii Remote, wait for one (1) minute, and then re-insert them. (How to)

2. Wait a few seconds before pressing any buttons to wake up the Wii Remote.

3. Re-sync the Wii Remote by using the steps listed above in the white box titled "Try these steps!".

* Check the Directional Sensor Functionality by holding the Wii Remote with the button side down. Without using much force, tap the button side of the remote against the palm of your other hand. Doing this does not take a lot of force, so be sure not to tap the Wii Remote very hard.

* Verify Sensitivity Setting dots:
    Go to the Sensor Bar's sensitivity setting in the Wii menu (click here for directions on accessing this feature).

o If only one or no dots appear on the sensitivity screen, there is likely a problem with the Sensor Bar. Please click here for repair information.

o If there are more than two dots, then it appears there is an additional light or infrared heat source being picked up by the Wii Remote. Avoid sources of infrared light in the gameplay area such as electric, propane or kerosene heaters, flames from fireplaces or candles, and stoves or other sources of heat.

o If both dots appear and the erratic behavior continues even when you move closer to the TV, there is likely a problem with the Wii Remote and it will need to be repaired. Please call 1-800-255-3700 so that we may assist you further.

9. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    if it's not the tree, then it's probably the light-up stand you have the wii sitting in.

but either way, it's useless to try and troubleshoot it with the tree's lights right there. They'll confuse the wii remote for sure.

10. Deathx360

Deathx360 Farewell Dear Friend

News Credits:
    What changes have you made to the area around your Wii around the time this started happening? The tree is probably going to add to the problem as could the light-up stand as Valkysas mentioned. Try turning off all light sources around the Wii and move the sensor bar on top of the TV and reset it as such in options. Start turning on one light source at a time until one starts to interfere with the Wii. It could be more than one source causing the problem if it is light interference. If the problem persists or it still acts up with the lights off then re-sync the Wiimote as Thorns2010 posted. If none of that works I don't know what you can do.

One more thing. Do you have a second Wiimote? If so after taking the steps above and it still acts up then try the second one next. If not then you could always buy Wii Play.

11. NotFastEnuff

NotFastEnuff I'm a smartass...

Ebay:
    I'd remap (or whatever it's called when you reset them to the system) the wiimotes and put new batteries in them. Mine did that for a short while, and new batteries fixed it. Are you using good, name brand batteries? My sister uses cheap generic batteries, and they don't work for sh!t. Good luck.