Wii steals the show at E3?????

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Shin-Gouki, May 13, 2006.

1. Shin-Gouki

Shin-Gouki Rebuilding Veteran

News Credits:
    Originally: Huntington Beach, CA, Now: Cincinnati
    I was doing my morning news catch up and found this article on Fox News. http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,195292,00.html

Some Highlights:

"LOS ANGELES — Nintendo Co. Ltd.'s new Wii video game console, considered the underdog in the console wars because it lacks the high-definition graphics and multimedia features of its rivals, is stealing the show at this week's Electronic Entertainment Expo trade show.
    The wait to try out the Wii at E3 pushed past four hours on Thursday afternoon, while the wait for hands-on time with Sony Corp.'s (SNE) PlayStation 3 was barely 30 minutes."

"Unlike other next-generation consoles, Wii doesn't sport high-definition graphics or make any promises of being a multimedia entertainment hub, but it promises a unique, fun experience new to video games.
    While the company insists that Wii is not a direct competitor to powerful new game consoles like the upcoming Playstation 3 and Microsoft Corp.'s (MSFT) Xbox 360, there is no doubt that it has stolen much of other consoles' thunder."

"James said the company knew that lots of people would be drawn to Wii, but he was surprised by the sheer numbers.
    He said that after 3:00 p.m. Pacific Time (22:00 GMT) they had to stop allowing people into the line because there was no way they would be able to see the console before the convention center closed three hours later.
    "I didn't think the line was going to go around the whole convention center," said James.
    The enduring image of the show might end up being the enormous line, which snakes completely around Nintendo's floor space. A security guard estimated that 1,500 to 2,000 people have been in the line at any given time."

Wow I knew Nintendo had a good showing at E3 but this is HUGE. Good Job! Now if they can just keep the price under $300 fully loaded I think they are going to kick some serious ass this time around.

2. Shin-Gouki

News Credits:
    I was looking up something on Gamefaqs and found the results of their Poll of the day interesting as well:

[​IMG]

3. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Mental. Nintendo are doing the impossible, getting back onto the Games bandwagon, when (IMO) folk had assumed they were going the way of Sega.

Good on them I say, gawd, I can't wait to get my DS lite and boot up Trauma Center. Or Metroid. Urgh.

4. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

Interesting. I like the irony. Nintendo gives up on traditional gamers and sets forth to attract non-gamers to videogames, and their efforts end up getting traditional gamers more excited than the consoles they're supposed to be satisfied with.

5. Jux

Jux Please, call me Steve. Veteran

The poll has one pretty easy explanation:

$$$$

6. misterd

misterd Well-Known Member

While online polls are notoriously unscientific, I think it fair to say that Gamefaqs is probably the one gaming site out there that gets a balanced representation of all gamers on all consoles. With over 45,000 people surveyed, that leaves a relatively small margin of error. (UPDATE: Now at over 50,000, with only marginal changes in the numbers)

If we separate the answers, the numbers break down as follows:

65% plan on owning a Wii in the next 12 months.
    44% plan on owning a PS3
    30% plan on owning a 360
    41% plan on owning multiple consoles (35% two, 6% three)
    8% are sitting it out.

Quick thoughts?

The Wii is clearly the console of choice, and I suspect the price is helping it. An announced price of $199 may grow its numbers even more.

The Sony brand is still strong enough to keep people interested, despite the price. However, I suspect that the price alone is what is keeping it from being #1. If the question were to get rid of the time frame, I bet we'd see a lot of people planning to get one after its price drops.

I wonder how Sony will fare if the PS3 shortages are severe, or if they miss the holiday window in North America. Seems many are more open to getting the Wii as a place holder, so a PS3 shortage could substantially boost Wii sales (unless it too faces shortages).

About 30% say they'll get a Wii and a PS3, or a Wii and a 360. Nintendo's "we're not competing" ploy seems to be working, as it seems to be the #2 choice for fans of the other consoles.

Less than 5% say they'll get a PS3 and a 360. The PS3 and 360 audience thus seems most opposed to each other, and the competition between them will be fierce. If there are PS3 shortages, will anyone buy the 360 as a holdover, and if so, will that affect their plans to eventually get the PS3?

6% of the people either have too much money or too much time.

Of the 8% who aren't biting, I am guessing price is the main factor, and really are likely to reflect the bulk of the market. I don't imagine that most of my students will be getting a new system this Christmas. The question in my mind is what will they get eventually? Are the committed to a system, or are the open to see what develops? If they can be swayed, It creates a powerful incentive for one console to jump out to the forefront quickly, as the PS2 did this generation.

Again, not a scientific survey, and it only represents visitors to Gamefaqs. We'll have to see how well this translates into the larger population.

7. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    They should change the name of the Wii to The Come Back. Back when we where first getting the earliest info about Revolution I thought it was going to be another also ran system but they are getting people exited.

The last game system this one friend of mine bought was a SNES and then he swore he would never buy one again. That ended when he got a 360 and said that’s the only one he’ll get. Yesterday he told me he might have to get Wii too.

8. misterd

I don't think they gave up on traditional gamers. They "gave up" on traditional games.

Nintendo has been making the same types of games for the same sorts of gamers for 20 years. It is the gaming market that has changed, and it was the new gamer market that Nintendo failed to capture which catapulted Sony and Microsoft over it (in the US at least).

Now, Sony and MS are the ones targeting the "same old" audience, while Nintendo is trying to create a larger tent, bringing gaming to more than the tradational "youth" and more recent "young adult male" gamers.

9. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

What's the difference? If Nintendo wants to turn their focus to people who aren't already playing games, how is that not giving up on trying to appeal to the young adult males that are/were firmly stuffed in Sony and Microsoft's pockets? Saying they gave up on a certain type of game and not a certain type of gamer is just semantics. It's saying the exact same thing.

10. misterd

The young adult males are generally considered the new demographic in the gaming market. The young gamers (under 18) are the traditional market. If anything, critics have hit Nintendo in the past for focusing too much on that group and ignoring the "mature" gamer.

As for the difference between walking away from games vs gamers, there is more here than semantics. Nintendo is trying to make new types of games that will appeal to all sorts of gamers. They (and I) think that the current gamers are open to trying something new, and are offering it to them. Thus they are not giving up on them, but trying to offer something they believe they will like. At the same time, they hope this will grow the gaming community - ie expand it to include current gamers AND current non-gamers, which is very different from ignoring current gamers to appeal to non-gamers.

11. Streck

Streck <B><FONT COLOR="#FF0000">QED</B></FONT> Veteran

Fixed.

50,000 online votes versus millions of real-life consumers? Poll shmoll. I'll wait for the sales figures.

12. Shin-Gouki

News Credits:
    I think Nintendo is also apealing to people like myself. Old time Gamers that have been jaded by this last generation. I personally am sick of more of the same game now only flashier!

13. Seth Buzzard

News Credits:
    Putting more thought into it all Nintendo’s pro buzz will be wasted if they can’t get more games people really want to play out then they did for N64 and GC.

14. misterd

My point about it being a fair representation is that I don't believe it oversamples Nintendo fanboys, Sony fanboys, or XBox fanboys, which you would be likely to see in many gaming sites. Moreover, these 50,000, while not reflective of the market as a whole (which, as I said, most likely will not be getting any of these systems in the next 12 months), it does indicate the interests of those who are most motivated - ie those most likely to grab a console in its launch window. Since the initial success or failure of a system will be determined by these buyers, rather than those sitting on the sidelines, I don't think the fact the motivation issue hurts.

Again, online polls must be taken with a huge grain of salt, but for the time being, I can't see us getting any better data from anywhere else.

15. Shin-Gouki

News Credits:
    True, but based on what they have done with the DS I have hope, that and the fact that it will be the only system within a price range I will pay for makes it the system I will consider getting. Mind you I will not be jumping on it at launch, the last system I did that for was the Dreamcast, and it will hold the distinction of remaining the last. If Nintendo can deliver on the Wii like they have done so far on the DS, and keek the price sub $300 I will probably have one by next summer.

Hence the reason I posted it, Gamefaqs is just about the one site where everyone goes and the polls in the past have been fairly accurate.

16. Seth Buzzard

News Credits:
    There where less Xbox fanboys voting because we are already playing our next gen system and can’t be bothered to vote in polls.

17. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    For the record, the "traditional audience" for gaming has always been 15 to 24.

The "non-traditional" is the 9-14 and the 25-35 market that Nintendo is going for. See the new "Brain" game that Nintendo released for the DS.

Nintendo looks promising. But they still have a lot of work to do. The Wii stole the show NOT because it's "OMG THE NEW BEST SYSTEM EVER!!!!" ... but frankly because it's more or less a *NEW* system. Everyone has seen pics of the 360 (or owns one) and the PS3. But the Wii is so relatively new that it's the one that has everyone excited.

I don't think Nintendo will reclaim the crown, but I think this is a great step in the right direction.

18. misterd

The N64 support was hurt by cartridge prices and Nintendo policy. That shouldn't be a problem.

The GC was hurt mostly from sales. 1st and 2nd party games did fine, 3rd party did terribly, mostly because they were not exclusives. Since the Wii games will generally not port well to other consoles, there will be less direct competition. And if the Wii starts off with strong sales this holiday, developers will line up very fast to deliver titles. Already Wii is giving an opportunity to small developers because its games will generally cost less to develop than 360 and PS3 games.

19. Streck

Streck <B><FONT COLOR="#FF0000">QED</B></FONT> Veteran

The online presence of Nintendo fans has always been disproportionately large compared to their market presence, even in the launch window.

20. Seth Buzzard

News Credits:
    The DS has the same problem in many ways, but being a portable I think they can get away with it more. But when that must play came dose come out for DS you either have to have it pre-ordered or be fine with waiting weeks before you can fined one in stock. Like with Animal Crossing, I spent nearly a month looking before I found any one with it in stick. Knowing that I pre-ordered the Mario game coming. There is a hunger that Nintendo is slow to satisfy.

This I know, I’m not criticizing them for being in this problem only pointing out it’s a problem they are going to work hard to get out of.

The Wii can be cheaper all day but if the player is waiting 2-3 or 4 months for the next must play can’t get on 360 or PS3 game but in the mean time PS3 has had 2-3 must plays and 360 had 1-2 people will start look to play there instead.

I come not to bury Caesar but to praise him, but he’s got to give me something to keep the faith with.