Wii Sensorbar Adjustment?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by MegaMoonMan, May 3, 2007.

1. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    As many of you probably know, the sensor bar on the Wii is nothing more than two opposing sets of IR LEDs that pump out a constant signal, in order to help the wiimote with the pointing function.

My question is this - has anyone experimented with other sources of an IR signal for the wiimote to track? I'm having issues with the pointer...it doesn't work on a direct line of sight on my Wii. I have to point the remote slightly upwards of center (nearer to the sensor bar) to get the onscreen pointer to exact center screen. If I ever get the gun attachment, I want the pointer to go EXACTLY where I aim.

I was wondering if a centered source of IR light on both sides of the TV would create a more accurate pointer?

Does anybody else have this same problem? Has anyone played with this at all?

EDIT: Damn, wrong forum. Can a mod please move this? I have no idea how this ended up in kitbashing.

2. Chaos Convoy

Chaos Convoy Dai Gurren-Dan member

News Credits:
    lol wrong forum, but I believe you can adjust it on the Wii, can't you? I haven't had any issues with my Wii, so I'm not completely sure.

But yeah, you can use other things to send the IR signal. But it's more than just 2 LEDs in the sensorbar. But 2 is all you really NEED.

On that note, I've heard that people have used flashlights or even candle flames to do the same job as the sensorbar.

3. MegaMoonMan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Does your pointer go EXACTLY to where you point it? What size TV do you have?

4. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Thats impossible with the technology used. The Wii has no way of knowing just where the sensor bar is on your TV aside from "top" or "bottom". it also doesnt know how large your TV screen is, or if you have the sensor bar centered.

There is no way you'll ever get a direct line of sight with the Wii remote.

5. MegaMoonMan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Then what fun is a gun attachment that you can't truly aim?

I'm going to try fiddling with this. Hopefully I can at least make it somewhat more accurate.

I shall post my findings.

6. RandomFerret

RandomFerret Fuzzy Forever

News Credits:
    The guncon games probably have a calibration option. In fact, I'm a little surprised the wii system menu doesn't have one.

7. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    well, the guncon actually reads data from the screen, the Wii remote doesnt.

I dunno. might want to ask the third parties who are making them while knowing that they're useless.

8. MegaMoonMan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Yes, it really should. If there were more options to enter things like TV size, the pointer could be more accurate. It's too generic as it stands, I understand it's made to work on any TV, but it should be more customizable. Hopefully a future update can address this.

N/M I misread that.

9. Matrix Soul

Matrix Soul Skull 4 reporting in!

News Credits:
    Well, that's why you get a cross hair on the screen, you point with that, not the actual wiimote

10. MegaMoonMan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    You miss the point. If I buy a gun attachment, I better be able to aim it properly, not compensate for where it thinks I'm aiming.

11. Matrix Soul

Matrix Soul Skull 4 reporting in!

News Credits:
    when it does come out, I'm sure there will be a adjustment menu for a more precise game like a shooter.

For what it's worth though, I've been playing Rayman, and for the shooting part I don't seem to have a problem aiming

12. MegaMoonMan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Well, the initial experiments I've tried have pointed to "pain in the ass" and "not really worth the effort".

I'll just hold out for system or game-by-game calibration.

13. Sentinel

Sentinel TF Museum Curator Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    I have had this exact same issue.

I have the sensor on the bottom of the screen so the Wiimote has to be pointed down to make it center. I am pretty sure that the bigger your tv is the worse the calibration. Mine is pretty big, so I think that is what is causing the problems.

It sucks that the damn Wii isn't designed for bigger TVs. Many people have bigger plasmas or HDTVs of some sort nowadays, so you think they would accomodate that.

14. funkatron101

funkatron101 TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Yeah, like my projector at 106"

15. MegaMoonMan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Damn. What are you projecting it onto? The wall or a screen?

For that, I would try painting the bar white as much as possible and mount it in the center of the screen. It may look stupid, but it would probably work a lot better.

16. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    I have a 65 Mitsubishi.
    My sensor bar is directly underneath the TV (below the diamond).
    I have not had any trouble, but my Wii is only a week old and I only have WiiSports and WiiPlay.

Would the wireless sensor bar help?

17. MegaMoonMan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    It isn't so much a trouble, as it is an annoyance. You haven't noticed that the cursor doesn't go exactly where you point it?

I didn't even know they made a wireless bar, but I don't see how it would help. It would still do the exact same thing, unless you mounted it in the middle of the TV.

18. funkatron101

Ebay:
    Right now just the wall.

I've been trying to think of a sensor bar solution, mainly because the Wii is at the back of the room, next to the projector, and the sensor obviously won't reach that far. I tried two candles at each end of my entertainment center, which is about 6 inches under the image, and about a foot more narrow on each side, but it is glitchy and unresponsive.

I think I'm going to buy the wireless sensor bar. it make work well enough to be playable. If not, depending on how it is wired, I'll cut it in half, and mount each half just outside, and in the center of my screen.

I did find out that Wii sports doesn't use the sensor bar at all, except for menu selection. I always thought that it helped with swing speed and 3d space, but it's pretty much just for pointing.

19. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Won't work, because there's no option in the config menu for "sensor bar is embedded in TV"

20. funkatron101

Ebay:
    Well I tried bigger candles, and I moved them closer together and it actually worked pretty well. As far as having it more pin point, I think it would have to come up only, or down about 20-30% of the screen. I think moving the candles to the edges of the screen will only create problems however. It will be too far apart to register.

I wonder if something like eye toy would create better pinpoint accuracy?