Wii Questions

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Prowl, Jun 29, 2009.

1. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I know we get a lot of these (Recall's new venture into the PS3 world), so I had some questions about the Wii.

1) Is there a way that it can remember my credit card (or at least my city/state/county everytime I buy something. It's really a pain to type all those things every time I want to add points, especially without a keyboard. :) 

2) I know I can have multiple Miis in the system, but do they represent different profiles like the PS3, so that if my fiance plays a game, she is saving the game to her profile and doesn't run the risk of saving over my games (I'm scared of that, :(  )

3) Almost forgot (and I couldn't find this one on google). Can you COPY a save from a Gamecube memory card into the Wii, for a more permanent storage. I tried it last night and couldn't find a way to do it, but since games like Zelda: Ocarina are in the Wii Arcade also, I thought I could use my old Cube Save.

4) Wii Games like Final Fantasy: The After Years aren't playable on the DS, are they? Only DS Demos?

I love how you can eject a Wii game from the system without turning the system on. We were watching a movie and I had to return Mario Kart to Blockbuster, and I ejected the game without having to turn the machine back off. Oh and the Blue Glow while it's assimialted the world is cool too.

I recommend Final Fanasty: The After Years, to anyone who loves the original FFIV and old school. The game is awesome.

2. Chrono Grimlock

Chrono Grimlock Perfect By Nature

News Credits:
    1) I don't think so, I have to go through the same thing as well.

2) Nope, Miis are just Miis. I'm pretty sure unless the games have seperate files it's like you're using the same memory card

3) No, and I think it's total bullshit

4) Correct. Read three again for my thoughts.

And yes, FFVI The Years After is pretty tits. I've recently been enjoying that, Super Metroid, Super Castlevania, Mario RPG, World of Goo and Megaman 2.

If these answer discourage your Wii love (lawl) go play No More Heroes!

3. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No, no discouragements at all. We have still been having a blast with it. The credit card part is annoying, but it has nothing to do with my enjoyment of it. I find the prices in the store to be kinda funny (in a clever way to make money sort of way). For example, you can buy in increments of 10 bucks, but most games (aside from NES) are even numbers that will never equal 10 bucks. So I can buy a NES game and have to spend another 10 if I want to get a SNES game, which leaves me with 100 points, or earlier I had 400 points, so all I needed was a relative dollar to buy Kid Icarus, but I had to spend 10 bucks to make that happen. :D  It's clever, but whatever, it's not like the money doesn't get used eventually (I'm just kinda on a budget now, and 10 bucks is very different from 1).

Anyway. I have Final Fantasy, which I love, Dragon Quest Swords (which I personally really like, especially knocking arrows back at the enemies) and we rented Mario Kart which is 100% fun, especially multi player. My next game is Mad World, for SURE! And now I can be excited about the new Silent Hill.

4. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

On the plus side of #3, at least you don't have to buy an adapter to use your old saves.

5. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No but if I had old Cube games (and I have a few) but got rid of my cards, I'd have to find and buy memory cards. I just happened to have my old Zelda-stocked card because I figured I'd play them again some day, but if that card dies, I'm hosed. Thanks to that lil ps3 device I have backed up 12 year old Final Fantasy 7 saves and now can revisit them on my PSP.

And I may not have to buy something for my old saves, but seeing as how my N64 Zelda cartridge doesn't fit in the Wii, I do have to rebuy Kid Icarus and Star Fox, even if I already own them. :D 

Still, I'm not complaining. It works, so that's all that mattered. I was just curious because I'd rather have them in a safer place. That memory card has been around since I bought the Cube.

6. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    I can see a future investigation into the trade practice Microsoft and Nintendo have of forcing consumers buy "Points" in which the monetary value will almost never equal the value of the item they are actually buying.

Also, I can't believe you got Kid Icarus.

7. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No no no, I haven't. I need 100 points to get it (I have 400) and we went out drinking and shit this weekend, so I am BROKE, and 10 bucks to compensate for 1 dollar is just not doable now. I bought Zelda: Link to the Past, Final Fantasy, and Mario Kart N64. Kid Icarus is next on my Virtual Console list. I love that game.

8. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    The way you dote on that game I thought that it would have been the 1st thing you got. :) 

9. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No because I just played it on my laptop like 2 weeks before, and as much as I want it, I would rather spend the cash on games that I haven't played, or can't right now, like FF IV

10. toma

toma eskimo in disguise

i think miis represent different profiles in some games like wii sports that are heavily mii oriented, but for regular games you just get save slots like any other system from back in the day.

oh, and a note about gamecube games, DON'T use the memory card 1019 with your wii. it's the white one. it runs the risk of being corrupted for some strange reason. i lost everything from mine, which was a huge drag because i was about 3/4 of the way through tales of symphonia on it and i haven't had the heart to start over yet. luckily, msot of my save games were backed up on my black 251, which has no issues at all on the wii, but still, it really sucks. it isn't just me either, when it happened i searched for ways to try and recover the data, which can't be done, but i did confirm it's a problem with that card and the wii. :( 

11. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think I have the gray memory card, and it's kept those Zelda saves for YEARS. I still have Windwaker in there.

12. toma

toma eskimo in disguise

yeah, the grey and black ones are safe. i dunno what it is about the white one, but it just doesn't like the wii at all.

13. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I like that the panels for the cards and Cube controlers are hidden, lends to the look of the system.

14. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

IMO, if someone is keeping around old GC games, they should know better than to throw out the memory cards. ;)  They wouldn't be able to save on the Game Cube anymore either.

15. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    you can put cube saves onto an SD card for reference, and I'm pretty sure that Interact at least has a thing for doing swaps and shit.

16. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I kept my GC games because I was planning on getting a Wii eventually, and I figured I could save into the system. I found the Cube card in a box full of PS1 and PS2 memory cards. So I can't be faulted for not being intimately attached to them, hell I had to dig for my PS1 cards also because I almost lost those too.

I still had to rebuy cartridge games. And those I held onto. I still have NES Willow with the manual and box.

I don't mind backing up to SD, because it's a new format. Are the instructions on how to do this?

17. Takao

Takao Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah I'd like to know how to transfer my saves to SD too. I tried to move/copy the files but doing that would move them to another GameCube memory card.

Also, I was lucky to pick up a GC memory card (even if it's from Madcatz), because I never owned a GC, and the Wii was my introduction to the games the GC had.

18. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ok, so I take it Monday's are Wii's store update days (Like Wednesday for MS and Thursday for PS3)? Saw some new games for the Arcade.

19. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

I just bought a 2 gig SD card. It has Wii written on it, so I know it will work :) 

20. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think I have enough collective cards that I could store the entire Wii store on them.

Might be picking up Madworld tonight. I think Smang recommended it. I think I trust Smang.