Wii Price Drop? Does anyone know?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Prowl, Jun 22, 2009.

1. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    In the same breath as a potential PS3 drop in August, there are some predictions that the Wii might drop also.

I was like 5 minutes from buying one this weekend, but A) My fiance wanted a music game instead, so I cleverly bought Rockband with only Mic and Guitar, since she doesn't care for drums and neither do I, and it would make the game almost 120 bucks cheaper. So I am still in the Market for a Wii, but maybe next pay check.... and B) I wanted to ask for opinions on games outside of Punchout. But if there is a price drop on the Horizon, I would rather wait than kick myself a month later.

Omega, this is your territory man, hehehe

2. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

i really like no more heroes and madworld, but they're crazy japanse crazy. also house of the dead overkill is good if you can get the guns to calibrate properly.

3. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Oh Yeah, that was a huge plus on the fiance support side (Madworld). That might actually be the first game we buy. And I want final Fantasy IV sequel. I would have had it now if it wasn't for Rockband, lol. But Iron Maiden made it all better.

4. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

madworld might put you off at first, but get through the first couple of levels and the story takes off. also its pretty gory and bender swears alot.

also there's some cool jrpg from namco coming out sometime, Twist was raving about it i think.

5. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Don't worry I am also doing some personal research (checking out game sites and such), so no google links needed (see. Twist). Just asking for certain opinions of certain games I am curious about.

How was that Dragon Quest Swords game?

6. samtheman

samtheman Well-Known Member

In my opinion it's just rumors. If they were seriously going to drop the price they would have said something at E3.

Also Zelda TP, Brawl, and Metroid are basically amazing.

There tons of new Wii games for the hard core coming out soon too. New Super Mario, Mario Galaxy 2, Metroid other M, Tatsunoko Vs Capcom, and many more.

7. Omega Supreme-1

Omega Supreme-1 Autobot Sentinel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Price drop is a rumor, nothing have been confirmed. Sorry Windy, can't be more useful than that.

8. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well it's not like I won't get it if the price doesn't drop. I just didn't want to buy it next week only to find out it was going down by 50 bucks.

Already have Zelda on Gamecube, but what RPGs are on it? And has anyone played Final Fantasy IV's sequel yet?

9. Omega Supreme-1

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If there is a price drop, it probably won't be more than 25 bucks, because it all honesty Nintendo doesn't need a price drop compared to the other consoles; in order to move units. Also, it won't be until November at the soonest.

10. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well if all goes well, I'll hopefully pick one up next weekend.

11. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    I'll throw some suggestions at you.

Make sure you're ready to get some Wii points for WiiWare and Virtual Console, as there's some damn good stuff there.

WiiWare suggestions:
    Swords & Soldiers
    Bubble Bobble Plus
    Bit.Trip: Beat
    Lit
    Eduardo The Samurai Toaster
    Alien Crush Returns
    World of Goo
    Bomberman Blast (highly recommended if you have friends who have it. waaaay more variety than the PS3 and 360 bomberman game)

VC suggestions:
    Well, there's a huge library so I'll make this short. Sin & Punishment is there. everyone should have that.

Retail suggestions:
    The Conduit (out tomorrow)
    Super Mario Galaxy
    Wario Ware: Smooth Moves
    Metroid Prime 3
    No More Heroes
    Mad World
    Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure
    Super Paper Mario
    Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition (best version of the game, hands down. and it's cheap now)
    Boom Blox (seriously)
    Excitebots: Trick Racing
    de Blob
    BlastWorks: Build, Trade, Destroy
    Mario Kart Wii
    Klonoa
    Super Smash Bros. Brawl
    House of the Dead: Overkill
    House of the Dead 2 & 3 Return

12. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    There's a Bubble-fucking-Bobble for the Wii?? Is it Two players?? I would go to the corner store every day after going to the pool in the summer just to play Bubble Bobble. When it came out on NES, I was glued for weeks. Bloody damn good times. To be honest, initially I am more interested in the WiiWare library. I can use SD sticks to backup now, right?

edit: Just saw the BB link. That looks great. Oldschool, guess it is two players. Excellent.

Sword looks awesome and I had read about Edwardo, hehehe. Toaster Samurai.

13. Omega Supreme-1

News Credits:
    Ebay:
  14. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Not just backup. there's now an SD card icon at the bottom of the home screen, and selecting it will show you everything you have on the SD card, and let you launch it right from the SD card.

I put a 1GB SD card in mine, and have all my VC and WiiWare games on that now. only system channels and game saves are on the internal memory.

15. toma

toma eskimo in disguise

bubble bobble is actually 4 players and 6 bucks. you can't really go wrong. if you liked tales of symphonia on the cube, it's got a sequel for the wii. i haven't played it though, so i can't give you much info. my brother has the ff4 sequel and he seems really impressed with it. i've been planning on holding out until september when the final chapter is released so i can play it all at once, but i dunno, i may break soon.

16. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Excellent. I have an 8 gig Mem Stick and a 4 gig. One more quicky. When I move games into that said SD card, can I back up my games to my PC. Reason is because I also use that card to shoot video on my camera.

This looks to be sure purchase. With Nintendo making a new Zelda and July being a triple-pay month, I might jump on this, even though I know I'm just asking for trouble with 4 systems to buy games for....6 if you count the DS and PSP, but what I do like about this one is that it's made for quick fun with my fiance and friends, so it fits right in. And the Classic games (Link to the Past FTFW) is a huge reason, as while I do emulate on my PC, it's really not the same as playing on your TV.

17. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    I don't see why not. I havent done it, but knowing which game is which might be a pain in the ass. the folder structure is private/wii/ then in there are two mystery files called loc.dat and loc.bak. I guess these tell the Wii which page and in which order you have the games arranged (all mine are by platform). also inside that is the title folder, that contains the actual games. but they all have titles like FA8E, FBHE, RODE, WGOE, and PAAE. so yeah. cant really tell which is which.

as long as you copy everything to your computer and back properly, there shouldnt be any problems.

one more thing with the virtual console. it uses save states when you exit the game through the home menu, so if you're not near a save point, you wont lose anything. and if the game never had save points to begin with, then the game gets a lot easier. save states are deleted as soon as you resume play.

on the rare occasion that the game doesnt support save states (Wii Ware) it'll warn you that you'll lose unsaved data.

ah, yeah. get a club nintendo account too. you can link it to your Wii, so in case something happens to your system, you'll be able to show nintendo exactly what you lost, and what needs replacing, since it'll track every download you make. Unlike retail games where only registering/taking surveys for systems and first party games on club.nintendo.com will get you coins to redeem for prizes, third-party WiiWare and VC games are also worth coins.

18. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That's where I fucked up, because when I had my original Wii I bought Zelda, Star Fox and a handful of other games that I lost when I returned it. Save state is automatic right? So I can't level up my character on Rygar, Save, and then start from there whenever I want to play it again?

19. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    save state is automatic.

and you can do that. a new save state would be generated the next time you quit via the home menu.

20. toma

toma eskimo in disguise

you can with most vc games except for n64 and neo geo ones. disc and wiiware titles can't do it. rygar is a disc based game, so you're limited to whatever it's built in save system allows.